2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
This is from the Cliburn e-newsltter. On hearing 133 pianists play recitals in Hong Kong, Moscow, Milan, New York, and Ft. Worth for the Cliburn competition pre-screening, Kaplinsky says:

"To go around the world and hearing dozens of people sound as good as one person used to 50 years ago, it's very impressive. The idea of missing notes being excusable, that's out the window. People don't miss any notes anymore, which is unheard of when I was growing up. They all play performances that are clean. The level of mastery of the instrument has certainly gone up."

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Does she say anything about the level of artistry in the newsletter? From the excerpt you quote, it seems that she's almost equating mastery with accuracy.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I know. That's the disturbing part. And no, she doesn't . Here is the whole article:

Yoheved Kaplinsky, John Giordano, and Richard Dyer

The Cliburn continues its international Screening Auditions in New York City this week at Rockefeller University's Caspary Auditorium, February 11-16, and then at TCU's Ed Landreth Auditorium in Fort Worth, February 20-22. All auditions are free and open to the public with detailed schedule information online.

In a recent Star-Telegram article, Juror Veda Kaplinsky commented on the quality of applicants so far: "To go around the world and hearing dozens of people sound as good as one person used to 50 years ago, it's very impressive. The idea of missing notes being excusable, that's out the window. People don't miss notes anymore, which is unheard of when I was growing up. They all play performances that are clean. The level of mastery of the instrument has certainly gone up."

Many piano competitions accept live recordings from their applicants to select their competitors. But with many tough decisions to be made, the Cliburn believes that live auditions are the fairest way to cull the field.

When asked about the live auditions, Jacques Marquis, interim executive director, notes that "there is nothing like a live audition. In split seconds, each candidate has to react to the piano, the hall, and the sound he/she generates and produces."

After auditions in Hong Kong, Hannover, Moscow, Milan, New York, and Fort Worth, 133 pianists from 35 countries will have performed a 40-minute recital of their choosing in front of a five-member jury for a chance to be one of 30 to compete in the 2013 Cliburn Competition.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Does she say anything about the level of artistry in the newsletter? From the excerpt you quote, it seems that she's almost equating mastery with accuracy.

Artistry? That would sort of get in the way, don't you think?

As piano competitions devolve into being pure PR exercises, they are starting to resemble some unholy cross between reality television shows and the ice skating competition circuit (at least it seems so from what little I actually know about those forms of entertainment).

I got the Cliburn email and realized with some dismay that they were being held again this year. Seems like the last one is barely over. This may be the first time I actually can resist, and say that life's simply too short to pay any attention to that nonsense. But, like accidents on the roadside, there's something weirdly attention-grabbing about it, now that it's on the 'net. I'll decide when the time comes...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It is not just piano competitions. At the conservatory graduation recitals I went to last year, the highest marks went to the most spliced-CD-like-accurate performances, not the most artistic or musical. Sad, really.

Classical pianists in competition for a graduation place, a competition place or a concert gig seem to be resembling more closely trained monkeys rather than musicians.

Online Content
While most agree that the level of technical mastery has gone up, I strongly disagree with those who think the level of musicianship has declined. I think virtually all those who place highly in competitions are have extremely high levels in both areas. Perhaps those who think otherwise could post some videos of pianists who placed highly in a recent major competition but have, in their opinion, less than stellar musicianship?

IMO if one was trying to apply logic to the current competition situation, one would conclude that since the technical level is so uniformly high, that area becomes mostly a given and the qualities that will distinguish those who place highly in major competitions will be musical and not technical ones.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/13/13 07:40 AM.
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
While most agree that the level of technical mastery has gone up, I strongly disagree with those who think the level of musicianship has declined. I think virtually all those who place highly in competitions are have extremely high levels in both areas. Perhaps those who think otherwise could post some videos of pianists who placed highly in a recent major competition but have, in their opinion, less than stellar musicianship?

Most, if not all, of the recent Cliburn winners and finalists, IMO.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brendan

Or most other big competition winners.

I'll tell you a story. A very great young artist (pianist) played for Louis Lortie in a masterclass. Lortie LOVED the person's playing, and said it was different and convincing and incredibly artistic. He didn't even work on anything with his playing in the class - he didn't want to; just suggested he play some more stuff, because he enjoyed the person's playing so much. But he also said he's not a competition player - and he's right.

Competitions don't seek out the best artist, the best musician, they place their search based on other merits - such as certain charm that transfers to the audience, CLEAN PLAYING, and non-offensive interpretation. Competition wins/losses are NOT a true reflection of someone's playing. Not most of the time anyway.

I was listening to Radu Lupu's Brahms yesterday on the way home, and man ... no one plays like that anymore. Whenever I've heard any of the op. 118, 119 or 117, it sounds like [censored], nothing special, JUST NOTES, accurately played. I think even I was a bit guilty of that when I played 118 at an adjudicated recital - because I was so afraid to open up from fear of wrong notes. The old, great recordings - studio recordings - yes they are great, but if you went live to see the artist play.... it wasn't clean. Cliburn, Horowitz, you name it.

The degree of importance placed on playing clean is absolutely disgusting because IT DOES REPLACE ARTISTRY in the end, in these people's minds. Go to ANY big competition - the most artistic ones get cut in the first round. Guaranteed.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
The only question to ask oneself when hearing winners (or losers) of music competitions is - would I go to a concert to hear this? Was I moved? Looking through the list of winners of the past Cliburn competitions, my answer regarding most of them would be...nah, I wouldn't bother.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think it's very interesting to look at how the art of piano playing is evolving and to what extent competitions are driving "mainstream" into a certain direction. In this respect, I'm not that pessimistic as some of you, although I can sympathize with the arguments made.

I don't think that the undoubted general increase in pianistic standards does have to come at the expense of individuality and artistry, or that it is even replacing artistry as Pogorelich is suggesting. Btw, "clean" is a really bad word IMO, as it already hints our association in the negative direction of "clinical/aseptic", the opposite of a piano playing with life and soul..well maybe it's just my association.

So what about the role of competitions? Again, I partially agree with the points made by others. But look at people like Trifonov, Bozhanov, Geniusas who all came to finals in the last Chopin competition. Look at Blechacz. Anna Vinnitskaya (Queen Elizabeth winner). Alexander Gavrylyuk (Rubinstein winner). Just to name a random few ones with strong subjective note in their playing who came to prominence in major competitions.

Also, one thing not too forget is that playing "eccentric" does not by itself constitute an artistic quality. I think Avdeeva's 1st place in the Chopin competition came along with big controversy just because she played the least eccentric of all finalists. Still she is a great artist with (IMO) somewhat more "classical" qualities; I saw her live in a recital quite some time before she won the Chopin competition (and enthusiastically wrote about it here)...

Admitted, regarding the previous Van Cliburn competition, not so much has stayed in my memory (but maybe I'm just too forgetful). One pianist I do remember from back then is Eduard Kunz; he gave a spectacular, extremely subjective account of two Scarlatti sonatas that from a purist perspective might be considered as overly romanticized (I absolutely loved it). With this, he made it into the 2nd round. Unfortunately he really did not play well enough in the 2nd round, and I remember that I found that performance really distracting in terms of pianistic standards (trying to avoid the "clean" word).

Still, I fully agree that a lot of great artists are missed in these competitions and won't have a chance in a majority vote selection process if they polarize too much. I for one, adore the path that Pogorelich (now I'm talking about the "real" one ;-) ) is taking in recent years (not saying that everyone should play like that, but I'm glad that some artists are exploring this path). However, it's quite clear that no young artist with such an extreme approach would stand any chance in a competition...

All in all, I think it's an exciting thing to see the general levels of pianistic standards rising. Who would have thought that e.g. Ligeti etudes would enter classical repertoire so quickly and be played by students in every conservatory around the world? In my impression, among the many highly skilled pianists we are still finding many, many interesting artistic personalities of all kinds.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Good artist doesn't mean eccentric.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianovirus
All in all, I think it's an exciting thing to see the general levels of pianistic standards rising. Who would have thought that e.g. Ligeti etudes would enter classical repertoire so quickly and be played by students in every conservatory around the world?

Thinking about it for a moment, there's nothing strange with seeing Ligeti etudes entering the repertoire of students everywhere. Remember, they are etudes first of all - in other words, a normal requirement in both competitions and in examinations at conservatories everywhere. While there HAVE been other etudes written for piano during the past 60 years or so (Dusapin, Perle, Corigliano, Lindberg and Leighton, to mention just a few), Ligeti has so many to choose between and so many levels of difficulties - really, some of them are far from as difficult as they may sound. Also, they work well as stand-alone pieces - that can't be said for several of the "etude sets" mentioned. Since most conservatories and competitions require a "modern piece" to be performed as well, it's hardly surprising that young pianists try these etudes out. It's worth mentioning that one of the teachers at my academy did a project several years ago where his students performed the COMPLETE etudes. A friend of mine ended up getting all of the most difficult ones - Desordre, autumn a varsovia and l'escalier du diable! :p

Last edited by fnork; 02/13/13 11:19 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Brendan

Would also say that about the recent winners/finalists of competitions like Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Leeds, or other big competitions or do you think it's more true for the Cliburn Competition?

And, a related question...do you think most of those who even are admitted to these big competitions have some lacking in the musicianship area compared to pianists of 10 or 25 years ago, or do you think that is more true of the winners than the competitors as a whole?

Perhaps these questions are too awkward or specific to answer in a public forum and, if so, no need to reply.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/13/13 11:55 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I wouldn't say eccentricity = artistry, but it definitely does play a major roll IMO. Gould, Horowitz, Pogorelich, Stanislav Bunin, and Byron Janis quickly come to mind.. and I'm sure there's more.. but they were all kooky in their own way. I think to be a true artist you really have to be different. Not just the pianists, but the composers - especially! That's how art moves forward and evolves. If that never happened, we'd all be stuck still listening to Gregorian Chant.

Online Content
Originally Posted by fnork
The only question to ask oneself when hearing winners (or losers) of music competitions is - would I go to a concert to hear this? Was I moved? Looking through the list of winners of the past Cliburn competitions, my answer regarding most of them would be...nah, I wouldn't bother.
All/most of the recent Cliburn winners/finalists of the last 20 years or just the winners/finalists from the most recent competition? What about winners/finalists from competitions like the Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Leeds, etc. for the last 10 years or so?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/13/13 12:01 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I wouldn't say eccentricity = artistry, but it definitely does play a major roll IMO. Gould, Horowitz, Pogorelich, Stanislav Bunin, and Byron Janis quickly come to mind.. and I'm sure there's more.. but they were all kooky in their own way. I think to be a true artist you really have to be different. Not just the pianists, but the composers - especially! That's how art moves forward and evolves. If that never happened, we'd all be stuck still listening to Gregorian Chant.

Rubinstein, Gilels and Arrau come across as great pianists who weren't at all eccentric and still provide very exciting and communicative piano playing. And I don't that being different means being a true artist. I think great musical artists just find a successful way to communicate to their audiences.

On playing that I dislike, there's the boring playing which fails to bring life to the music. What I dislike more is playing that that seems purposefully eccentric just to stand out - Perhaps if you want to stick out as a performing artist you'd want to be eccentric, but if you want to be a good musician, then trying to be something you're not is something that doesn't make sense at all.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Online Content
Originally Posted by fnork
To me this comes off as extremely critical to put it mildly. I have heard some of these pianists play live and to brush them off as if they are average professional performers seems incredible to me. None of the 70+ pianists who made the finals of these competitions is worth seeing? I have heard Lupu, Kobrin, Walsh, and Swann live and thought the first three were quite sensational and the fourth was very good.

I hope you're not as critical of the winners/finalists of competitions like the Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Leeds. These have included many of what are usually considered the most notable pianists of the last 50 years.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/13/13 06:23 PM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I meant to say the RECENT past Cliburn competitions - my bad. Of course, there have been fine players in many competitions. I'll try to give a more detailed answer later. Many of my own favourite pianists never participated in piano competitions - of course, many of my personal favorites are from a completely different era, so...

Oh, and I've had the misfortune of experiencing Kobrin in a quite dreadful Schumann concerto some years ago. I was rather against some of his playing in the Cliburn competition (NOT a convincing Gaspard), and also much later on I've seen videos of his playing that I personally can't stand.

Last edited by fnork; 02/13/13 06:42 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Now that my focus in music is shifted more toward choral conducting than piano performance, I feel that opens me up more musically and I feel like I can truly express myself on the piano without having to jump through somebody else's hoops. In addition, the musicality that I pull from comes from pianism, piano technique, and things like that, but I've learned that 99% of piano music is a representation of something else, such as choral music, orchestral music, chamber music, songs, opera, etc...

However, focusing more on conducting means that my pianistic and technical abilities won't be the level they could be if I stuck with being piano-performance oriented.

Dang. frown

But only time will tell. I'm very excited to see how my life unfolds smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, and regarding pianoloverus and his opinion on questioning the artistry to older great pianists;

I overall think the older pianists were the greatest recorded pianists, but don't want to take away from current competition winners. They are of course distinguished technically, and I don't think they are unmusical at all; their musicianship far exceeds mine and is quite fantastic. I just don't think it's on the same level as the older legends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission