2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
and playing a exercise with both hands at the same time and the same notes only gives you a physical workout and puts your brain to sleep.

I'm sorry that it does that to you. I know from personal experience that it doesn't do that to everyone.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Miguel Rey
It's not just about working the wrist/hands/fingers its about working the brain and hand independence all together, and playing an exercise with both hands at the same time and the same notes only gives you a physical workout and puts your brain to sleep.

Your take on it of course, but hardly binding.

Transposing the first 30 exercises (the others are bad signal to noise ratio) can be very beneficial, but only if the brain is fully involved.

Personally, I prefer the Dohnanyi exercises, but a good run-through of Hanon in a key besides C major is actually a lot of fun. Then try this: work your way backwards!

Interesting things happen.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I started with Hanon, but now I prefer Dohnanyi.
I occasionally do some weird things with Hanon, like some of the exercises that have been mentioned here.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
All the exercises you could ever want are right there in the music, if it is practiced properly. But of course if you enjoy Hanon then it certainly won't do any harm. But in direct response to the young man who started the post I think using actual music from composers such as Bach for his technical study would do allot more good for his song writing carrier then Hanon. He could always do both, but if it didn't cut into his creative time for composing

E
E
When you say playing Hanon in different keys, do you mean that you just transpose it? Or is there another book that focuses on that?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just transpose it. Same fingering.

E
E
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Which of the three parts does this apply laugh? Because I wound't know how to, for example, transpose the very first exercise laugh...

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Evaldas

Which of the three parts does this apply laugh? Because I wound't know how to, for example, transpose the very first exercise laugh...

For the very first exercise, start on D, imagining you are in the key of D major (F# and C#) and use the same fingering and the same progression as in the first exercise. If it makes it any easier, using the music of the first exercise, start reading it and playing at measure two and, following the music continue, keeping in mind that F and C are sharped as you go up. For the last measure ascending, read the first measure one octave higher.

That should be easy enough.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
E
That makes sense! Thanks smile
I will definitely try it, when I'm more proficient with Hanon, because for now I've only been playing the first exercise at 60 bpm the last week (first day hands separate), and will start increasing the speed a little day by day.

Bane Offline OP
OP Offline
Shouldn’t you write it out to make it easier to transpose? (it’s not written out in the book.) For me it’s a little tough to transpose some of these Hanon exercises in my head in realtime!

Now in response to Miguel Rey, I have a deep, maybe even stupid, question for you and others based on something you said. People act like the more good music you hear the better, because it is a good compositional influence. It intrigues me to take the opposite of that thought though. I hear a lot of guys on this forum freaking out cause they have certain musical ideas that are in other influential pieces in their own work. Now you take someone like me who doesn’t listen to a lot of other classical musicians, and you see I don’t have that problem so much as others perhaps. So in essence, is it possible for you to listen to too much music so that it spoils your musical appetite so to speak, and makes you tend to gravitate toward certain sequences/hooks/etc. from other composers? I’ve carried this fear and therefore have been trying to play it safe with non-musical exercises like Hanon.

I know that’s pretty deep and I’m not sure this thread was quite ready for that, lol. But I would appreciate any insight as to whether that’s just a lot of nonsense or a legitimate thought pattern.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Shouldn’t you write it out to make it easier to transpose? (it’s not written out in the book.) For me it’s a little tough to transpose some of these Hanon exercises in my head in realtime!..."

You took the words out of my mouth. Writing it out on score paper--- including the fingering, which is not going to be the same for every key--- is not a heavy chore, and could be very helpful.

"...So in essence, is it possible for you to listen to too much music so that it spoils your musical appetite so to speak..."

In music as in food, a balanced and varied 'diet,' taken in moderation, is the best way to go. So says Julia Child: "Eat whatever you want--- but not too much." 'Eating' too much of anything can make you sick of it. Urping up anything is vile, but Hanon urp is the vilest of all. And a Hanon hangover is worse than mixing the grain and the grape: the French (who know--- and after all, Hanon was French) say: "Never."

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Evaldas

Learn it in C (the original notated key). Move your fingers a half-step up. Play with the same fingering in all keys (which is not really necessary, Db and E will suffice).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

G
G
Playing Hanon in each key? Do I use the same fingering I use to practice scales and simply start on Bb, for example? This requires that I adjust all the fingering for each key. Pretty time consuming! Is this the correct approach? Chuck Leavell even recommends this method.

Camille
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't think about Hanon.

Best regards,

Deborah
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Garbo
Playing Hanon in each key? Do I use the same fingering I use to practice scales and simply start on Bb, for example? This requires that I adjust all the fingering for each key. Pretty time consuming! Is this the correct approach? Chuck Leavell even recommends this method.

I use the same fingering for all of the keys (the major keys, anyway - I don't practice them in the minor keys). I get the idea that is what most people do, those who practice them in different keys.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
The exercises only make sense if you _keep the fingering_, and move the hand up one semitone, or one tone, or three semi-tones . . .

. . . So if you're playing in C#, and the original pattern begins on C in C major, your thumb goes _on the C#_ when you start.

This is not "normal fingering" for "normal pieces", but it's just right to develop your skills. All kinds of awkward positions will get their day in the sun.<g>

It also gives you transposition practice, as a side benefit.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission