2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Piano Friends,

If I'm not mistaken it's less than two weeks until the Paris Competition for this year will take place. And no thread about it on PW? Well, I searched and could not find one.

Like last year, I'm not participating. But nevertheless I would be very interested to hear some "insider" smile stories about it from participants before and during the competition.

So I wonder, like in previous years, will there be some participation from PW members? What are you guys playing?! Everyone well prepared?? laugh To all those who are now in their final preparation stage: best of luck, and most importantly: Have fun!

Cheers,
pianovirus

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not going either, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of our active members are since it doesn't seem like anybody has said anything. I'll also be interested to hear news about it from anyone who can share.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I'm not going either, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of our active members are since it doesn't seem like anybody has said anything. I'll also be interested to hear news about it from anyone who can share.

Wow, so if none of the participants would hang out in piano forum, they must all be practising diligently.

Scary thought! shocked laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I know Fuzzy 8 Balls (??) is going.

Musica 71
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musica71

I know Fuzzy 8 Balls (??) is going.

Thanks, musica! I hope Gorden (hopefully joined by some other participants) will share some of his experiences with us like in the previous year (or was it already the year before that? I lost track...)

In any case, my bet is he'll be a likely candidate for the finals...if not more.

Originally Posted by pianovirus
....(or was it already the year before that? I lost track...)

I did too. ha

In any case, my bet is he'll be a likely candidate for the finals...if not more.

+1!

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
For those of us who are relative newcomers, could someone please provide some information about this competition?

More generally, I'm not sure what an "amateur" piano competition is and what types of players enter one.

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?

I'm not nearly far enough into my 10,000-hour-until-mastery program to consider entering, but I wonder what types of musicians do.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
but I wonder what types of musicians do.

All members in this thread including me and fuzzy.

A brief search will take you to past competitions and discussion about amateurism.

Last edited by Hakki; 02/12/13 03:01 PM.
F
F
Yep I'm going... and I've prepared only 30 minutes of repertoire this time.

Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 14 No. 1
Bach Prelude & Fugue in e-flat minor Book1
Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet: Juliet, Mercutio, Montague & Capulets

-Gorden

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I'm going to skip the Paris this year.

Originally Posted by Damon

.....but we expect to see you at the CHOPIN in a couple of years. ha

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok so I guess there will be a big PW reunion in Warsaw (in 2015 I think?). Count me in! smile

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

If they have a sub-amateur Liszt competition in Missouri, I'll consider entering. I don't travel well.

If they have a sub-amateur Liszt competition in Missouri, I'll consider entering. I don't travel well.

No, I said CHOPIN! grin

BTW I think you'd have to be in the super-sub-amateur division....

For those of us who are relative newcomers, could someone please provide some information about this competition?

More generally, I'm not sure what an "amateur" piano competition is and what types of players enter one.

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?....

Hey folks, why shouldn't we give him more of an answer right here....

Your guess about the level of the players is right, although there's a fair range within any given event and from one event to another. To be admitted to some of them, like the Cliburn, you have to be real good. How good is that? Let's say, good enough that it wouldn't be insane to think of becoming a professional. I mean, it would be insane for most of us to actually do it ha but....you get the idea. For some of the competitions, it's OK to give it a try if you're at least what I'd call upper-level-intermediate.

Some of the people in these events are really at a professional or near-professional level, and some of them have advanced degrees in piano and in some cases have actually been professionals in the past, which of course raises legitimate questions about whether they're really amateurs. The people who win are usually from that highest group.

For anyone wondering if they're ready to enter one of these events, more important than how far you are above "upper intermediate" is that your pieces should be extremely well-prepared and that you be very comfortable with them. The repertoire requirements are very flexible. Basically you can play whatever you want.

Maybe we'll be seeing you at some of the events!

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

That wasn't very nice.

That wasn't very nice.

grin

(I trust that you knew what I meant!) smile

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

I'm guessing that these are very, very skilled players, but where and how is the line between "amateur" and "unrecognized professional" drawn?....

Hey folks, why shouldn't we give him more of an answer right here....

Your guess about the level of the players is right, although there's a fair range within any given event and from one event to another. To be admitted to some of them, like the Cliburn, you have to be real good. How good is that? Let's say, good enough that it wouldn't be insane to think of becoming a professional. I mean, it would be insane for most of us to actually do it ha but....you get the idea. For some of the competitions, it's OK to give it a try if you're at least what I'd call upper-level-intermediate. Some of the people in these events are really at a professional or near-professional level, and some of them have advanced degrees in piano and in some cases have actually been professionals in the past, which of course raises legitimate questions about whether they're really amateurs. The people who win are usually from that highest group.

For anyone wondering if they're ready to enter one of these events, more important than how far you are above "upper intermediate" is that your pieces should be extremely well-prepared and that you be very comfortable with them. The repertoire requirements are very flexible. Basically you can play whatever you want.

Maybe we'll be seeing you at some of the events!

Thanks, Mark -- very informative explanation.

If you indeed see me at one of these competitions, it's likely to be in the audience, but that's okay too. I'd love to watch some of you folks play!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I seriously considered to sign on for the "Pianobridge" competition in St.Petersburg (Russia) this summer. The reason was that I was offered early retirement from my employer, and would have ample time to practice.

This competition has separate classes for participants with or without a diploma, and this was one of the reasons why this competition sounded interesting for me (holding no diploma).

I managed, however, to find a new full time job, and therefore I decided to skip the competition. I would have invested some 500 hours preparing and this is out of question now. Maybe 5 - 10 years.

N
N
For the final on Sunday 24th it seems there's only one ticket price of €25; that's obviously planning for a very high standard or a very long concert...
Anyway if anyone going is wondering what to do on the Saturday evening before, I've got a new Oboe Sonata that'll be premiered in a recital at Cité des Arts, a central venue (short walk from Notre Dame).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission