2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2032020 02/12/13 06:46 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I was asked to purchase a new piano book for my daughter. No local stores carried it, so faced with a shipping fee, I emailed her teacher and asked if there was anything else my daughter might need.

She was sweet enough to email me the next 2-3 years of books. laugh

It's funny how a parent looks at the next 3 months and how a teacher has a much broader vision.

P
P
Hm..., to me, this looks a bit strange. What, if - let's say - in a year, the teacher decides to start using other books, because your daugther's development asks for a change...? What, if your daughter (let's hope not) would loose interest in piano playing...? What, if your daughter would have to change her teacher and the new teacher would want to use other books?

You don't seem to be very comfortable with ordering the next 2-3 years of books for your daughter right now. I recommend to only get books to last about the next year. So, you can save some of the shipping fee, but still feel safe... And your daughter might be excited to see what's coming after her present book.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I usually give 6 months of books for parents to purchase. Some parents ask more, then I give 1 year.
I think 2 to 3 years are too much to purchase.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
That's quite funny, actually. I don't know if that's a good thing though.

She's really confident that your daughter will be staying with her (and with piano), but it sounds like she's 'locked in' with a certain curriculum. (What if your daughter's playing changes in some way, to be more suited for another curriculum?)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sure your daughter's teacher knows better than any of us do. I think that was good of her to do.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
It's not for the curriculum books. It's for "extras".

She is doing a method/curriculum, but she has never asked me to purchase that set ahead of time (Alfred).

She did ask me to buy the theory method books in advance this winter (ABRSM) - but that was because the studio had one set of 4 or 5 books on hand and she progresses pretty quickly in theory. I don't think many of the kids use this theory set, I think most use Alfred.

I only purchased the books she can use now from the list - mostly due to the expense. If I buy the next sets, I can do that after my next pay day and be one level ahead.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You mention having to pay the shipping fee, but if you order from an online company based out of a different state, you won't have to pay sales tax, so it usually amounts to the same as buying from your local store.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
In my state, and I believe in many states, the state sales tax is in fact still due on out-of-state mail-order purchases, but you pay it in a lump sum with your income taxes rather than it being collected and submitted by the vendor. The state provides a default amount to use as an estimate based on your income, or you can calculate it explicitly. You can claim 0, but I prefer to pay it.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
I ended up on amazon and they now charge sales tax. My gf has prime so there ended up not being a shipping fee and 2 day delivery. But tax was less than shipping on other sites so it still worked out (esp with fast shipping).

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I left something out in my comment about taxes: in my state, you're only liable for the amount of state sales tax above the amount you may have already paid to another state. That's why this typically kicks in on mail-order items, but not items purchased in-person in another state.

MaggieGirl, glad you were able to get your daughter's music.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
It is worth checking at www.paperbackswap.com for used books. There are a LOT of books there and I have gotten some good ones for free.

As for buying books 2-3 years out, I wouldn't do it, you don't know if the student's musical interest might change, they might decide they want to learn some different style of music. I'd rather pay shipping and get the right book than avoid shipping but buy a book that turned out not to be used.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Well, MaggieGirl, I get your point. As a student, my time horizon has been slow to grow beyond 3 months. Meanwhile, I'm sure my teacher thinks more in terms of a 3 year time frame.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission