2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 218 of 370 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 369 370
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
You don't need one! I apologise for dropping the name so casually but anyone with more than a passing interest in astronomy would be familiar with the name. The owner in question is a retired ship's captain who has lived his life by the stars and I have more than a passing interest in astronomy.

Yours humbly,

PS. I second the Chris Lintott vote!
PPS. I saw Sir Patick playing cricket in my youth. As a nation we've watched him grow old. His life story has much to wonder at.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Richard old bean, My Grandfather was Skipper of the steam driven sidewinder trawlers, stella carina, stellla by starlight, stella dorado, stella leonis,stella polaris,
to name a few and some of the "cape" series .

He sailed in Arctic waters, Iceland, bear island etc, and I can seriously assure you he did not possess an eight inch celestron.

My grandfather lived his life by the stars too, in the days when there wasnt even shipping forecast except for that sent by morse code from Norway for the immediate surrounding area.

These were the days when radio sets to receive and transmit morse had to be rented by the skipper if they could afford them, and if they were qualified with radio telecomunications licence to operate them, fortunately My grandfather could and was, respectively.

Both me and pianojoy were teasing you over the eight inch thingy!!! sorry should have said , sometimes we tease each other relentless here!!! It doesnt mean anything except we love you!!

I love patrick moore regardles of my concern about his trousers, he is an institution, a good one, from days long gone ,a true gentleman, polite, and mannered.

Chris does seem the logical choice, and I like him a lot he is enthusiastic.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi, Richard!
I don't know what Rossy is talking about , I was serious...I really MEANT "who doesn't know that" !

sorry for the mixup .
BTW, you (Richard) write like a poet, love reading your posts!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
And there was me thinking he'd mis-spelled 'celestion'.... Which would have been a wonderful name for an esoteric Victorian musical instrument. But is in fact only the name of a UK brand of loudspeakers.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I feel the love, Rossy, my own post was tongue in cheek.
I've had nothing but fun since I got here, even when battling dragons (no names, no piano tips) as I'm sure you have yourself.
btw, love the 'e)dit' it in you post. LMAO.

Piano joy, thank you so much!

Richard

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone! I'm just dropping by for a few minutes before I have to get to work. I'm glad my other half doesn't read this thread. He has an interest in astronomy and could develop a celestion envy complex because he doesnt have a telescope! laugh

Richard, I loved the Beethoven selection. Lovely!

BTW, it's a good thing we did our sky watching here a few nights ago when we could see Jupiter, Venus and the first quarter moon. It's been completely cloudy here ever since.

Rossy, I got your PM. I will respond later.

Anyways, I'll leave you with this performance by Mike Oldfield, "Song of the Sun." I'll check in a bit later when I have time for a break at work.

Last edited by griffin2417; 03/27/12 10:25 AM.

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Good evening, gentlefolk!

Griffin, I am as enamoured of your selections as I am of my own! Thank you for the Mike Oldfield. I don't have that one; I must check it out.

Not much else to say tonight, methinks.

On the other hand...

This was on in the car today. The Songs From the Wood album was my first Tull concert and they sold out in days back then. Ian Anderson became something of a hero of mine, musically. After The Beatles and Pat Benatar, Jethro Tull are the only other act that would prompt me to buy everything they released without question.

A pibroch is usually played at funerals other dismal, dull affairs and is typically variations on a lament. This one is a sad tale of thwarted love.

I have very little Scottish blood but I've always loved the sound of the bagpipes. They're not used in this piece but their characteristic drone is very present from the opening bars. And it's said PEA-broch for any non-Scots; it rhymes with the Scottish Loch - a good clearing of the throat is required.

Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, I bring you...a band of strolling players...
<puts cap on head, turns and walks away>

Richard

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Palestrina's Lamentations.

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What I love most about this thread is that one minute your listening to 15th century Italian counterpoint, and the next your listening to 21st century Canadian indie rock.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
WOW dudes and dudettes! YES , i shouted... becasue in the liddle of the night , just like Griffin predicted we hit a MILLION views!!!!

one million, who would have thought it? And its all down to TJ,
so a big thank you to TJ, for telling me to get my own thread!
After he didnt quite understand my humour, and we argued a bit, but then did doing being friendly because thats best.

And I wish him back to full health as quick as possible.

And with that....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
HOORAY!, A million mark and still climbing!!! I just knew I'd wake up to see we are here! Time flies when you're having a good time, and I continue having lots of fun here on RST!

Thanks to TJ for daring Rossy to get this started. Had it not happened I am not so sure I'd would have remained active with the PW. A speedy recovery to you TJ!!

I have a couple of offerings to mark this milestone for RST. My first post I posted last December. However, I think it's appropriate. Get out your dancing shoes and celebrate with Kool and the Gang!

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
NOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, Griffin, NOOOOOOO!

Kool and the Gang?!
Oh, gee, now I can't even eat breakfast !

grin

(don't worry, Griffin, I still love you!)

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Let's funk it up some more with Earth, Wind, and Fire. (Oh yeah Babe! I'm doing a happy dance today!)

Here is "Shining Star."

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc0AW67CmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

Carl

R
R
My heartiest congrats to Rossy for his thread achieving more than one million views!!! PW is going to overflow soon smile

Sorry I'm getting too irregular with Rossy's thread (I'm afraid whether he has some punishments for me for bunking). I'm struggling with moonlight sonata again (this time with real keyboard smile ) and I'm getting almost mad because of my small hands frown

Anyway, I hope all our members here are well. Rossy, when is your new composition going to be published? I'm getting impatient.

Here is one of my favorite pianist playing a composition of his brother. I like this piece so much!
[video:youtube]2ynBNGNMgWg[/video]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
I love Kool & The Gang!

Here's the original Vicki Sue Robinson with Turn The Beat Around, in a later performance of this totally classic disco song. Vicki died in 2000.

And then another anthem: Lost In Music. Of course, Sister Sledge were the original performers, but I really rate The Fall's version (from The Infotainment Scam album) too. When I made mix-tapes, this was always the first song on the tape. Turn it up loud!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy
NOOOOOOOOOO! Oh, Griffin, NOOOOOOO!

Kool and the Gang?!
Oh, gee, now I can't even eat breakfast!!

grin

(don't worry, Griffin, I still love you!)

laugh Piano Joy, you have me cracking up! When you get to my age you'll be celebrating that you can still do a happy dance and drive the young-ins nuts with your boisterous music. Besides, dancing before breakfast is a healthy thing to do!

I'll bet Rossy can relate to how you're feeling about now. He's probably sighing with relief that I'm not doing my jazz stuff right now. wink

Carl

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

Let's funk it up some more with Earth, Wind, and Fire. (Oh yeah Babe! I'm doing a happy dance today!)

Here is "Shining Star."

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwc0AW67CmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

OMG, Griffin, EW&F are so funky. Get the horns! Get the bass!

Confession: I *still* covet my mum's EW&F album from the early 70s (when I was a teen), which I'm sure she never plays. I keep on wondering about sneaking it out, in a convenient 12" bag, every time I visit.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Eglantine, maybe your Mom will "loan" it to you. Or, perhaps you've done that before and she knows better! grin

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rupak Bhattacharya
My heartiest congrats to Rossy for his thread achieving more than one million views!!! PW is going to overflow soon smile

Sorry I'm getting too irregular with Rossy's thread (I'm afraid whether he has some punishments for me for bunking). I'm struggling with moonlight sonata again (this time with real keyboard smile ) and I'm getting almost mad because of my small hands frown

Anyway, I hope all our members here are well. Rossy, when is your new composition going to be published? I'm getting impatient.

Here is one of my favorite pianist playing a composition of his brother. I like this piece so much!
[video:youtube]2ynBNGNMgWg[/video]

I really liked this Rupak! I can also relate to the struggles with piano practice. For me it's Clair de Lune. It's testing every ounce of my patience.

Carl

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Rupak, I definitely agree with Griffin re practice. There's a kinda wall, often, and before you get over it you think 'impossible!', and sometimes you're about to give up, and then, usually, you somehow get over it. We're often working at the very edge of our abilities...

[Linked Image]
Page 218 of 370 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission