2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
For those who have read my recent post "Classical Piano News Story," it should not come as a shock that I am not a big believer in literal interpretation. And, this particular scene from the Kinderszenen is a good example.

The A section is no big deal, but, regarding the B section, in none of the three recordings that I have of this piece (Gieseking, Horowitz, & Moravec) can I hear anyone playing beat #2 in the left hand. Therefore, for those who have mastered this beautiful work, I would appreciate any insight you might have as to practice techniques in terms of grouping.

Currently, with the exception of measure #17, I just leave the second beat out in the left hand.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty sure everybody does play it. (I checked two recordings, Horowitz and Lisitsa, and they both play it.)

I looked very closely at the Horowitz to make sure I wasn't imagining, and yes, you can see that he most definitely does play the beat (like, with the LH thumb for the first several of those notes). I wonder if the reason you think he and others aren't is that most people would view the note as being pretty subdued -- I sure would, and indeed that's how these people play it.

If you leave it out as you said, you're missing some of the subtlety of the passage. That second beat lends a slight extra impulse to the offbeats, and contributes to the harmony.

Pardon my saying grin but from the other thread, I got a distinct idea that you're a little too quick to take an assumption and run with it, and it looks like that's what you did here. I hope you won't again get annoyed with the different input than you expected but will rather try to gain from it.

R
R
I typed a reply over in the adult student group.

Sounds like you need to slow down.

BTW Louis, probably part of why you're not getting more looks on the thread is that few people are familiar with the German title and don't recognize anything from it. In fact, even with the English title it still wouldn't click for a lot of people. Best probably would be to mention Kinderszenen in the title for such a thread.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission