2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hey Folks,

I just returned to the piano as an adult since the New Year.. Love it and I'm looking for a teacher. I also know that I want/will need an acoustic piano.( currently have an old Roland digital). However, I really was thinking of giving myself about 6 months to look and decide what I want.

However, with lessons looming, I'm starting to think of getting one sooner rather than later. Realistically (in your opinions) will I have any more knowledge of the touch and tone I want after just 6 months of playing, than I would by looking now?... I can tell pretty much what i Don't like right now, and more or less what I do. But, when I get into more difficult classical repetoire will my opinions or needs be likely to change?

Thanks for any advice.
c

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Well, you can start looking at any time. You could go to stores and try several out. That would give you an idea of what your tastes run to. You could also check out used pianos that become available.

Eventually, you will come to a decision. That could be sooner or later. Your options are better if you start sooner.

Semipro Tech
S
S
you will need a budget first...

PLEYEL P124
OP Offline
I have visited 2 stores in my area. I'm really only looking for a vertical (no room for anything larger). IN my limited shopping experience thus far I was drawn to the Yamahas (U1) in particular (NOT every used one though), and the T118 sounded/felt very nice as well. I did see one used Kawai K5 that I like as well. There were plenty I didn't really care for.

Another thing that makes me worry that I don't really know what I'm looking for is that there were some higher end grands/baby grands that I didn't even think had a very nice touch/or even sound. (at least nicer than the Yamaha U1 I looked at).

I wanted my budget to be about $5k. Although, i will take it up to $7k as my total max. In the big scheme of things I realize this isn't a great sum of $$ to some folk (some of the prices I have see thrown about are jaw dropping), but it's a huge investment for me. It may well be the only piano I buy so I want to be sure it will take me as far as I need it to.

Thanks
c.

Last edited by Cassiesmom; 02/11/13 11:53 PM.
J
J
Try out the Essex 123S made by steinway - I've put my deposit down and going to pay the rest of it tomorrow. I'm paying $5788 for the piano and it has a lovely sound and touch

Essex EUP-123S

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
Try out the Essex 123S made by steinway - I've put my deposit down and going to pay the rest of it tomorrow. I'm paying $5788 for the piano and it has a lovely sound and touch

Don't you mean "sold by Steinway dealers?" It's a little deceptive to say "Made by Steinway" for this. Even Steinway just says it's "designed by Steinway" and not "made by Steinway." Latest information is that they're made by Pearl River in China, but Steinway will change this depending in which supplier is cheapest at any given time.

To answer the Original Poster's question, you may want to see if your Piano Teacher will come with you and play the pianos that you like. You can offer to pay the cost of a lesson for this service, etc.

Last edited by Thrill Science; 02/12/13 12:52 AM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
J
J
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h

Don't you mean "sold by Steinway dealers?" It's a little deceptive to say "Made by Steinway" for this. Even Steinway just says it's "designed by Steinway" and not "made by Steinway." Latest information is that they're made by Pearl River in China, but Steinway will change this depending in which supplier is cheapest at any given time.

To answer the Original Posters question, you may want to see if your Piano Teacher will come with you and play the pianos that you like. You can offer to pay the cost of a lesson for this service, etc.

Theres no need to be pedantic. Whether someone says 'designed' by Steinway 'sold' or 'made' has no bearing on that it's still a great piano, and well worth looking at as being in the budget of the original poster.

Note - Steinway wouldn't put their name on it if they didn't have any overlooking on the build process.

Essex EUP-123S

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi, Cassiesmom.

You don't state what your present skill level is, but I think a decent skill level is important when assessing pianos.

But regardless, one of the better strategies I've heard as a shopper is to develop "piano consciousness" -- take every opportunity to try out different pianos. Keep your antennae out. In addition to the stores, check the classifieds, ask piano technicians, watch bulletin boards, hang around music schools, browse the internet (with critical eye).

That's more or less what I did when searching for my present piano. It took me many years, but that's just picky old me, and I already had a good instrument in the meantime. I realize your time window is narrower.

Very best of luck in your search.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
The longer you wait the better you will be able to evaluate a piano. Historically most people give up piano within a year or two, so it might save you some expense if you make sure the piano bug sticks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You won't go wrong getting a Kawai or Yamaha. If you get a chance check out Charles Walter and W. Hoffmann, both are very fine pianos.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Steingraeber. I hear you'll regret it.

Gary
S
S
my recommendation would be Yamaha U1/U3 or Kawai K3/K5...
I feel U3 and K5 are significantly better than U1/K3...

PLEYEL P124
Originally Posted by Plowboy
You won't go wrong getting a Kawai or Yamaha. If you get a chance check out Charles Walter and W. Hoffmann, both are very fine pianos.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Steingraeber. I hear you'll regret it.

I heard the same about Steingraeber! I'd love to regret it, if I could afford it that is!

Cassie's mom, go with whatever feels right. I've been happy with my last 3 pianos based solely on what I felt when trying them out. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it would be inaccurate to characterized the Essex and Boston pianos as "sold by Steinway dealers". These are Steinway products. The fact that Essex is made in China by Pearl River does not make them non-Steinway products. Everything is made by a contract manufacturer in China these days. I generally never say my Apple iPhone or iPad, is made in China by Foxconn, so it's a Foxconn phone; who does that? Or perhaps all iPhone and iPad are not really Apple products because they are only designed by Apple and not made by Apple in an Apple factory in the USA. Foxconn, just like Pearl River, makes every brand of electronics, not just for Apple, but for HP, DELL, just about everyone else. The Essex EUP123 is completely different from other Pearl River pianos, and just as different from the Ritmüller pianos even though they all came out of the same factory. This is the same situation with Foxconn products.

Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
I think it would be inaccurate to characterized the Essex and Boston pianos as "sold by Steinway dealers". These are Steinway products. The fact that Essex is made in China by Pearl River does not make them non-Steinway products. Everything is made by a contract manufacturer in China these days. I generally never say my Apple iPhone or iPad, is made in China by Foxconn, so it's a Foxconn phone; who does that? Or perhaps all iPhone and iPad are not really Apple products because they are only designed by Apple and not made by Apple in an Apple factory in the USA. Foxconn, just like Pearl River, makes every brand of electronics, not just for Apple, but for HP, DELL, just about everyone else. The Essex EUP123 is completely different from other Pearl River pianos, and just as different from the Ritmuller pianos even though they all came out of the same factory. This is the same situation with Foxconn products.

Nice analogy!

D
D
Might want to wait until you have found a good teacher and have him / her go with you to help evaluate the pianos you have found that you like.

Dave T.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cassiesmom

Realistically (in your opinions) will I have any more knowledge of the touch and tone I want after just 6 months of playing, than I would by looking now?... I can tell pretty much what i Don't like right now, and more or less what I do. But, when I get into more difficult classical repetoire will my opinions or needs be likely to change?

Basically, yes. The longer you play, the more you can judge one piano from another. Right now, you might as well stick with you old Roland for 6 months before acting on your impulse to buy something immediately. What's nice to you now may not be so nice to you in 6 months, a year, or two. Take your time to get through the initial phase of piano lessons, get used to your teacher's piano, then start looking later.

As you get into more difficult piano repertore, your need will change, and you will more than likely want a grand piano, or the best upright you could get, so even more reason to resist buying right away.

OP Offline
Thanks for all your responses folks !

My present skill level is probably a low intermediate. In addition to the advice to take more time, I think the suggestions to perhaps take a teacher (when I get one) along to advise on something appropriate for my current skill set and goals is very sound. I was starting to tempted to be impusive, but I think I do need to step back for a while.

Thanks all, and for the piano suggestions ! Maybe I should just continue to save until I can get the Steingraeber grin

Regards,
C.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I've played a few Essex verticals recently and I was impressed with them in their price range.

If you ever get to Philadelphia, the Cunningham verticals are definitely worth checking out.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
M
Originally Posted by Mark...
The longer you wait the better you will be able to evaluate a piano. Historically most people give up piano within a year or two, so it might save you some expense if you make sure the piano bug sticks.

I disagree with this statement. Perhaps if the OP waits loner, they will lose interest in piano because they're playing on a clunky old DP? Nothing is more inspiring than investing in a beautiful instrument that you love the sound and feel of.

To the OP: I know you said that you wanted to buy a piano that would last so you wouldn't have to get another down the road, but understand as you grow pianistically, your tastes will change and develop. So the best advice is to buy the biggest piano that you can afford - all other things being equal (quality, age, maintenance, etc.).

For uprights, for example, you will want to find the tallest one you can afford. If you are looking for used pianos you might be able to swing something a bit larger, and not pay top dollar for it. This makes it a bit easier when you wish to upgrade down the road. However, the trade off is that you don't have a warranty, and there might be a bit of maintenance to catch up on if the previous owner didn't have it tuned regularly.

At any rate, take your time, try out a bunch of different pianos, write down your feelings on each, and when you find the right one, you'll know.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would not ignore the used (private) market. Used pianos are quite cheap these days. With people giving away pianos that actually play for free, it pulls the price downward on any decent used pianos.

If you are not in a rush, you can keep an eye on local listings and there is little doubt that within a few months you can come across a really great deal.

Not only will someone else have taken the depreciation hit, if your piano interest subsides after a year or two, you don't have a $5000 piano sitting there that you can hardly sell for $2800.

If your piano interest really fires up, you can re-sell your used piano for what you paid for it and upgrade from there.

Talk to a local piano technician for some guidance and advice.

JG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission