2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 330 of 370 1 2 328 329 330 331 332 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Good Sunday everyone! As Richard indicated earlier, this will be our last classical Sunday postings. We've both given a lot of thought to this over the past several weeks and feel it is for the best. This will allow me to put more focused time into my piano studies, and to eventually prepare to do a recital.

However, this does not mean that I'll no longer be participating in the RST. In fact, dropping the inflexible Sunday postings schedule allows me more opportunities to post at other times, and to get back to sharing the wider variety of music I have always enjoyed. smile

My first selection for today is the "Concerto for trumpet, three oboes, bassoon and basso continuo in C major," by Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni. It is performed by Symphonia Perusina under the direction of Paolo Pollastri.

TOMASO GIOVANNI ALBINONI [1671-1750]
Concerto for trumpet, three oboes, bassoon and basso continuo in C major

Last edited by griffin2417; 02/10/13 01:04 PM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Originally, I wanted to just get an update on what the Parker Quartet is up to these days. However, I eventually drifted off to explore some of the work of Maurice Ravel. Here is the Parker Quartet performing Movement I - Allegro Moderato. Tres Doux, from Mauice Ravel's String Quartet in F Major.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I hadn't planned to do two selections today composed by Maurice Ravel. However, I discovered these beautiful performances by soprano Barbara Hendricks and I couldn't resist!

Here she performs "Deux Mélodies Hébraïques" / Two Hebrew Songs: Kaddish & L'Enigme éternelle. She is accompanied by Orchestre de l'Opéra de Lyon, under the direction of John Eliot Gardiner.

Barbara Hendricks: "Kaddish & L'Enigme éternelle" by Maurice Ravel

This concludes my presentations for today. However, be sure to check in a bit later for Richard's final posting! In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
smile

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
So, to our last selection.

The height of the Baroque era, which I've been covering these last few weeks, is summed up in the Handel Oratorios and Bach Concertos.

This is Bach's Double Violin Concerto and is one of the most famous pieces of the era. I was going to say more about it but under the circumstances I don't think it's necessary now.

It would have been nice to continue on with the classical and Romantic periods up to the symphonies of Mahler, Bruckner and Stravinsky and the concertos of Bartok and Prokofiev and the developments of the twentieth century. I'll leave that for you to explore for yourselves.

But you know now how much more was developing between the Renaissance and the giants that were Bach and Handel and the period is worth closer investigation.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear these are your last Sunday postings. I only can respect your decision, Carl and Richard, and thank you both for all those marvellous posts you have written. Reading and listening to them has been always a real pleasure.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
frown

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well we will certainly miss both Richards and Griffins classical sunday posts for sure, they were often interesting and enjoyable.

I can totally understand that time issues and other recital and work/home commitments will often take precedence.

However, and to all the dudes and dudettes that come here and view or post or both, I want you to understand seriously what I am saying here and not get me wrong in any way, so read carefully and H/S or HT i dont mind.

Richard, the reason you cited above was "It has been a long time since the thread enjoyed the frequent interaction of regulars and the variety of music that entailed. It has lost its lustre."

If you had said "for me it has lost its lustre" then Richard I would have said "fair enough" and thanks for all the wonderfull sunday posts you have done.

BUT, to just say "the thread has lost its lustre" is tantamount to telling folk that is the factual case.

Which is demeaning to everyone who comes here and takes the effort to either just read or to contribute with their music, which takes effort and time.

Also, the sheer amount of effort folk put into their satie and glass pieces and had as a shared experience here on RST, how dare you say that is lacking in any sort of "lustre?"

The funny stories and life experiences shared on top of great selections of music,
The care folk have for each other, especially shown when there is an absence of a regular poster, like when wayne went missing for instance,

The joy when folk come back after a spell away and show us things like Eglantines new harpsichord,.

The wit and banter?

Damnit man how much lustre are you lacking?

Was dipseys snowflake composition that went wrong ( and then got fixed by someone who hadnt posted before on RST) to blame?

She tried so hard to be lustrefull.. and griffin himself said "its the thought that counts" which proves there was some thought behind the post?

Or good intentions?

Anyways to everyone who does post here, I for one still find your posts to be more than adequate in the lustre department.

So Ideas for "added lustre" to be posted here by the end of the month folks, and they must be illogical, senseless and you must employ "how to add some lustre" in a sentence that does not necessarily adhere to grammatical rules or enjoy correct spelling.

OR I too, may have to stop practicing mendelssohn for the big one here on RST which incidentally Wayne has been working so hard on ( tons of respect Wayne by the way) as well as his own piece which as with most of us is well, well out of our "comfort zone" no one here on RST finding this easy.

yet the themed recital started right here, and the mendelssohn one will to, as usual, be posted here, and this is no mean feat dudes and dudettes for ANY thread on any site on the internet, it may well be a first...

It will not lack lustre.

Am I defending the thread I ask myself?

Yes I am, but I am also defending everyone who has taken the time and trouble to view, post or contribute for the benefit and shared joy of others,

because defending their lustre that they bring to every single post they make, no matter how big or small that post is, is the right thing for me to do.

Last edited by Rostosky; 02/10/13 09:35 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Onwards and upwards and something a little different indeed, with just 14,000 views this next piece of music should be new to most and might even contain a little of the illusive lustre that has alledgedly been missing....

from the album Fairytale of slavery, here is miranda sex garden and the track cover my face... excellent, love the way the track builds,

One for BillyO to crank the volume up to whilst AimeeO dances methinks?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An old golfing buddy of mine was fond of saying "You can't lose what you never had"...and, I was never too sure if he was referring to my golfing skills or my alleged logical, rational mind.

I guess the same could be said for the so-called "luster" of this thread - I mean it could be if one were trying to be unjustifiably snarky - but far be it from me...

Really, there's been a lot of luster here - more so than in most other threads in the ABF. After more than 3,600 posts and more than 3.6 million hits you just know there was something compelling going on and, actually, much more than one would have expected.

I, for one, found much that was new and interesting and entertaining here - mostly music videos, and occasionally, a little of the "banter and wit" taking place.

And while the luster had to dim once in a while if only because of sheer size and longevity it always seems to have returned to the bright, high points - and will probably continue to do so.

I'm glad this thread got off the ground and has flourished and I expect it will go on for a long time to come - if it's founder will just stop trying to pick a fight over nonsensical trivialities...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
An old golfing buddy of mine was fond of saying "You can't lose what you never had"...and, I was never too sure if he was referring to my golfing skills or my alleged logical, rational mind.

I guess the same could be said for the so-called "luster" of this thread - I mean it could be if one were trying to be unjustifiably snarky - but far be it from me...

Really, there's been a lot of luster here - more so than in most other threads in the ABF. After more than 3,600 posts and more than 3.6 million hits you just know there was something compelling going on and, actually, much more than one would have expected.

I, for one, found much that was new and interesting and entertaining here - mostly music videos, and occasionally, a little of the "banter and wit" taking place.

And while the luster had to dim once in a while if only because of sheer size and longevity it always seems to have returned to the bright, high points - and will probably continue to do so.

I'm glad this thread got off the ground and has flourished and I expect it will go on for a long time to come

Thanks John, I personally dont think you could have put it any better, that was well thought out and well presented and is much appreciated, in all seriousness.

I edited the quote a little to miss out the bit that made me feel uncomfortable .. vis a vis the "If its founder would stop trying to pick trivial nonesensical fights"

I didnt enjoy that part very much and thought it may make me feel anxious to include it, so I edited it out for the benefit of myself.

I think one mans trivial monesensicals could be very important issues to another man like the proverb "one mans meat is another mans poison"

Without, and I hasten to add, WITHOUT reiteration to the great jazz issue/debate of 2012,

As you know I find "J" to be a nonesensical triviality in both my private life and also in the rare times I go out in public to the pie shop.

But, I now understand how "J" ( I still have difficulty typing the full word) can be, and is, a very serious issue to some people that it means a lot to.

So without further adoo, I will post the video I forgot to post in my last post, which shows I am emotionally challenged and have deep seated memory issues stemming from undue anxiety caused by the current lack of horsemeat in my diet.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Well we will certainly miss both Richards and Griffins classical sunday posts for sure, they were often interesting and enjoyable.

I can totally understand that time issues and other recital and work/home commitments will often take precedence.

However, and to all the dudes and dudettes that come here and view or post or both, I want you to understand seriously what I am saying here and not get me wrong in any way, so read carefully and H/S or HT i dont mind.

Richard, the reason you cited above was "It has been a long time since the thread enjoyed the frequent interaction of regulars and the variety of music that entailed. It has lost its lustre."

If you had said "for me it has lost its lustre" then Richard I would have said "fair enough" and thanks for all the wonderfull sunday posts you have done.

BUT, to just say "the thread has lost its lustre" is tantamount to telling folk that is the factual case.

Which is demeaning to everyone who comes here and takes the effort to either just read or to contribute with their music, which takes effort and time.

Also, the sheer amount of effort folk put into their satie and glass pieces and had as a shared experience here on RST, how dare you say that is lacking in any sort of "lustre?"

The funny stories and life experiences shared on top of great selections of music,
The care folk have for each other, especially shown when there is an absence of a regular poster, like when wayne went missing for instance,

The joy when folk come back after a spell away and show us things like Eglantines new harpsichord,.

The wit and banter?

Damnit man how much lustre are you lacking?

Was dipseys snowflake composition that went wrong ( and then got fixed by someone who hadnt posted before on RST) to blame?

She tried so hard to be lustrefull.. and griffin himself said "its the thought that counts" which proves there was some thought behind the post?

Or good intentions?

Anyways to everyone who does post here, I for one still find your posts to be more than adequate in the lustre department.

So Ideas for "added lustre" to be posted here by the end of the month folks, and they must be illogical, senseless and you must employ "how to add some lustre" in a sentence that does not necessarily adhere to grammatical rules or enjoy correct spelling.

OR I too, may have to stop practicing mendelssohn for the big one here on RST which incidentally Wayne has been working so hard on ( tons of respect Wayne by the way) as well as his own piece which as with most of us is well, well out of our "comfort zone" no one here on RST finding this easy.

yet the themed recital started right here, and the mendelssohn one will to, as usual, be posted here, and this is no mean feat dudes and dudettes for ANY thread on any site on the internet, it may well be a first...

It will not lack lustre.

Am I defending the thread I ask myself?

Yes I am, but I am also defending everyone who has taken the time and trouble to view, post or contribute for the benefit and shared joy of others,

because defending their lustre that they bring to every single post they make, no matter how big or small that post is, is the right thing for me to do.

Well said Rossy smile and much appreciation for sticking up for RST and it's members smile I for one will be sticking with RST through THICK and THIN! I have made some true friends smile

Trapper, you really have come up trumps, cheers smile (all is almost forgiven lol)

Anyway's it's pancake day today, a word of warning for all those having pancakes today..(especially Griffin ha ha)...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wayne33yrs; 02/12/13 08:24 AM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the tip about pancakes, Wayne! What is Muffin Day going to be like? wink

Rossy, I always learn so much at the RST, and Wayne's offering is just one more example. laugh That's why I'll always be around. smile

I hadn't planned to write anything today, or for several days until I get in more piano practice, and some home chores done. However, I noticed Wayne's post and the other posts and thought it best to be clarify that my absence will be very temporary.

Rossy, when I return you may want to get out your ear plugs. I will be posting some jazz! ha

TJ, a good posting yesterday. Indeed, RST will go on for a very long time!

Now back to the piano!!!

Later
Carl

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'm not disappearing either, just choosing to offer a smaller percentage to the week's musical offerings.

And enjoying the opportunity to post stuff like this.

I've watched most of their videos (i.e. all I can find) and this couple have me in stitches...

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was hoping you would address the points Rossy made Richard, this isn't like you at all, to skip details wink

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
My best guess Wayne is that Richard is either (a,) ignoring the details ( 66-1 against)
OR,
(b.) constructing a mega-announcement to address them ( Three to one on favourite)

Or, (c.) has deliberately orchestrated this pseudo- lustre issue to add "extra-lustre" in the form of a five minute arguament ( which hasnt been paid for yet but is about 14 to one on.)

Or (d.) (complete rank outsider coming in at 250-1 against) Richard just wants a RST badge like everyone else but doesnt know how to demand one in the correct innapropriate fashion (gimmee, gimmee )

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll go with B wink

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The Sunday classical selection from two people should amount to less than one seventh of the weeks postings. They have lately taken up almost one half. I repeat that it has been a long time since the thread enjoyed the frequent interaction of regulars and the variety of music that entailed.

I have previously said that one of the great joys of this thread is that I could check in here each evening and get a taste of someone else's choice music, something I wouldn't normally have picked or listened to myself, a broadening of my horizons.

This was its lustre, not its spirit.

I have checked in here the odd evening and found no more music since the previous Sunday... frown

I hope this is mega enough to win. I put money on it myself!

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I reserve my judgment! smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
The Sunday classical selection from two people should amount to less than one seventh of the weeks postings.

Who invented this "rule?"

First I looked in the bible under a general questing allong the lines of "Sunday rules, vs wrath of god"

But didnt find anything, even in leviticus except that if your house has green spots on it, then it must be torched.( arson will suffice)

I thought liszt may have started it so I read a great biography, extremely interesting, but no clear definition of the percent of sunday posts vs weekly posts allowed.

Did I make that rule up in a drunken stuper? I questioned myself long and hard and went to three AA meetings and did four.5 of the twelve steps that they demanded for me to achieve complete sainthood, and again no one believed I could have made that "law" up in a drunken stuper, so I stopped flagalating myself and had a snooze immediately after a very large dinner.

peoples posts ebb and flow Richard, there is no "percentages" Everyone lives different lives and have differing commitments, sometimes folk dont post for a while, then they come back full of their news and reasons for being AwOL.

And, it gets hectic again.

sometimes it takes folks a few reads to actually get through the sunday posts over a period of days, like when they can find the time. But, they often say so, openly.

For instance, look at how eglantine took the time to post up not just text, but pics of her new baby...

Now, if I had just had that harpsichord delivered, I would not be posting for ages!!!

I hope this is mega enough to win. I put money on it myself!

You went for the safe option and backed the favourite!

Last edited by Rostosky; 02/12/13 03:45 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
lol........

back in a bit, I'm gonna head over to PC and put an end to the homo thread, because I'm bored of it now wink

Page 330 of 370 1 2 328 329 330 331 332 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission