2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary D.
I asked the student, "How did you pick me?"

Her answer: "I just came in and asked for a teacher."

I teach in a music store. If you come to our store, you get me. I could be horrible.
?

What is the difference between that and picking a piano teacher from the want ads?

I would suggest that in the customer's mind, the store has provided a level of quality control.

If I go to Sears Auto for a brake job or oil change, I know I'm not getting the same level of expertise as at the Volvo dealer. But I'm also confident that the service will be above the level of the neighborhood fixit guy, that the store manager knows who is good and makes some effort to ride herd on the crew, that the store has insurance in case the mechanic gets hurt working on my car, that the store will ultimately have to stand behind the work at some level.

People go to an established business though the cottage industry service will always be cheaper for all of those reasons.

By logical extension they probably assume music teaching is the same.

And probably at some locations it is, and at others totally not.

gotta go practice
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Sure - my daughter's music school is not part of any professional organization. But they don't participate in festivals or competitions. Testing is only through ABRSM.

If we went in to her lesson and were told that her teacher was no longer teaching and who would we like instead, I would have no problem with leaving the studio. I doubt even if we contacted her teacher, that she would be able to teach in home (I'm sure her contract would prevent it). There are three local teachers who I would contact who work out of their own private home studios. I wasn't aware of them before I signed her up. Reading here prompted me to look several months ago.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TimR
I would suggest that in the customer's mind, the store has provided a level of quality control.

Bingo.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Is it unethical for Pepsi to advertise to Coca-Cola customers, in the honest belief that their product is superior?

I can't help but smile reading that.

Last edited by landorrano; 02/15/13 02:10 PM.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by landorrano

Is it unethical for Pepsi to advertise to Coca-Cola customers, in the honest belief that their product is superior?

Made me wonder if I could teach the world to sing, in per-fect har-mo-ny.

gotta go practice
K
K
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I know of many bad teachers out there, ones who take student's money and don't teach them anything, or worse, teach them bad things that prevent the student from reaching their potential. These are facts. However, as a professional, it really reflects more poorly on me for speaking the truth about that teacher than it does on that teacher.

What you as a teacher have to offer and the way your students sound coming out of your studio speak volumes about the quality of teaching - much more than any comparison - however correct you may be about your criticisms.

One other comment. I, too, and Christian, and while "offensive" isn't quite the right word, I found your comment actually misrepresented Christians. We do not think of ourselves as superior to non-Christians; we are humbled by what Jesus did on the cross. Being Christian does not make us perfect or necessarily better in our day-to-day actions. In fact, it is because we are incapable of being perfect that makes us in need of a savior.

I personally feel that you can tell your readers that you are a Christian and therefore hold yourself to a high standard of ethics and quality in your studio, without taking a dig at non-Christians as your statement does.

I agree that there are teachers out there that take money without teaching anything worthwhile, that is a fact. I also agree that trashing another teacher's bad teaching reflects poorly. But I think the difference for me is between this teacher's teaching and his lack of morals. I made it very clear at the end of my review about him that "he might be a decent piano teacher", but that's not what the review is about, it's about his dishonesty in treating parents and teachers.

I agree with everything you said about Christians. Also, just because somebody IS a Christian, doesn't mean that they'll have high morals; it's sad, but true and I'm very well aware of that. My intentions weren't to take digs at non-Christians at all, it was only meant to imply exactly what you said.

Would this be better?
"Lastly, because of my Christian background and upbringing, I hold myself to a high standard of ethics and quality."

...I feel like somebody can still read into this and find it "extremely offensive".

http://www.irvinepianostudio.com

Piano Teacher in Irvine, CA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
And probably at some locations it is, and at others totally not.

I think this is the most accurate part of your last post.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
What you as a teacher have to offer and the way your students sound coming out of your studio speak volumes about the quality of teaching - much more than any comparison - however correct you may be about your criticisms.

In an ideal world, good teaching would lead to good word-of-mouth and many referrals for the teacher. But from what I have observed in the last decade or so, a lot of uninformed parents simply want what's cheap and/or convenient. I think we've had many previous threads on parent education, but how do you educate parents about the low quality of institutions without resorting to comparison?

I think we piano teachers might have to re-evaluate the mindset of our clientele, and then adjust our way of recruiting students. It's very hard to stay positive and objective when you see how the slimy and unethical people keep on getting more and more students, like an open flame that attracts moths.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Starting with the Coca Cola-Pepsi analogy. This involves large companies that sell a useless and somewhat harmful product through imagery. A lot is false - sometimes even the rivalry among large companies is fake. Entrepreneurs are often given business practice information drawn from these large enterprises, and what is given is unsuitable. It is especially unsuited to professions. Doctors, accountants, and engineers might be a better model, because if they mess up, you have death and illness, financial ruin, and collapsing buildings. Their service provides something real - not "happiness by guzzling fizz".

Teaching music is about guiding a student in acquiring skill in playing music on an instrument. It entails certain things both in skill and knowledge, and how to acquire and attain them. This has to be the goal of teacher and student or it won't work. They have to do what is necessary, or again it won't work.

When imagery, false promises, wrong goals etc. are fed to the public, and these things are then pursued, then the real purpose of music lessons won't happen. This is not "success". It's as empty as the old Marlborough cigarette commercial showing a gorgeous hunk and hunkette smoking in the great outdoors. It is "success" only in the sense of making money for somebody, at the expense of others. Usually that somebody is not the teacher. And the damage from this is real.

For as long as I have been a member here, I have preached for students and parents to become informed, so that they can set the right kinds of goals and ask the right kind of questions. This thing is not isolated to music teaching, either. If we start looking at what real things are, beyond the imagery, then a lot of things can get turned around, starting with us.

I'm not American. I have seen depictions of snake oil salesmen in old Wild West movies, so I know these existed historically, but I don't think that either of our countries was built solely on such attitudes. The snake oil is a useless thing that is sold on imagery and emotional need. Music Man with the "think system" was a more sophisticated version of that - is that character partly admired? Haven't our countries (worldwide, in fact) also produced some solid, useful, long lasting things which come from a different code of ethics?

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I think we've had many previous threads on parent education, but how do you educate parents about the low quality of institutions without resorting to comparison?

I don't know how it can be done, but if people know what music learning is about, then they can use that knowledge to weight what is being presented by such institutions (and lesser teachers). For example, my priority is skills which I know take time. So if an institution says that they'll have me playing advanced music in short order, that goes against what I know - that is my point of comparison.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I think we've had many previous threads on parent education, but how do you educate parents about the low quality of institutions without resorting to comparison?

I don't know how it can be done, but if people know what music learning is about, then they can use that knowledge to weight what is being presented by such institutions (and lesser teachers). For example, my priority is skills which I know take time. So if an institution says that they'll have me playing advanced music in short order, that goes against what I know - that is my point of comparison.

I wouldn't consider the word "institution" appropriate for a "strip-mall" music school, which is just a business. I would be surprised to see any institution claim to have you playing advanced music in short order.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Made me wonder if I could teach the world to sing, in per-fect har-mo-ny.

i can't help but smile reading that! smile

I wouldn't consider the word "institution" ....

Before arguing about what someone writes, please check that you understand it as intended. You are inserting a meaning to the word, and then arguing against that meaning.

I am differentiating between a private practice, and a practice that is done in a place organized for that purpose, involving more than one individual engaged in that practice.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Between cheap, good, and convenient, you can have only two:
--You can have cheap and convenient but not good.
--You can have convenient and good but not cheap.
--You can have cheap and good but not convenient.
I think it is rarely you can get all three: cheap, good and convenient. So, I think it is really depends on parents which factor they emphasis and which factor they can live without.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you, Journey.. smile

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

I am differentiating between a private practice, and a practice that is done in a place organized for that purpose, involving more than one individual engaged in that practice.

Thank your for the clarification Keystring. The word institution does not have to do with private, individual teaching versus more than one teacher. Naming as an institution a "strip-mall music school" might lead to confusion for some people.

Your implied definition is incorrect, and nobody else was confused. Regardless, this seems a strawman tactic, Landorrano, where you take a post full of ideas, pull out one word which gets redefined, and make the discussion about that word rather than what has been posted? What about the ideas?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
What about the ideas?

I'm losing focus on what the ideas were, after ten pages.

I do see two modela for teaching being discussed.

One is the self employed cottage industry individual teacher.

The other is the teacher as employee for a business operation, which may be a music store, music teaching studio, or even a college or university. I think we'd want to consider the college as a separate category and just consider more obviously commercial operations.

There are problems with either approach.

There are superb teachers on the cottage industry side, but there are no entry requirements and no oversight, so there are also large numbers of unqualified and poorly qualified teachers. It is truly buyer beware, with the additional problem that most buyers CANNOT tell the difference.

There are also superb teachers within the business operation system, at least one of whom has posted here. There are also horror stories, some of which have been discussed here. It is buyer beware here, too, with the additional problem that buyers are conditioned to think they have some protection by going to an established commercial business. Managers may have policies more designed to maximize profit than learning - or they may feel offering a quality product brings in business and increases their profit long term.

keystring,
I get the impression you think the commercial industry model is inherently flawed, but that may not be what you intended.

I tend to think that the root cause of problems with either system is the same: there is no easy way for the customer to judge the quality of the product, so market place forces cannot result in good teachers getting paid what they deserve, which is a lot more than they get now, or poor teachers being driven out.

I pay my teacher quite a lot per lesson, as well as driving 3 hours one way, but there was a specific reason to go to someone with a demonstrated expertise in that area, and there was no doubt about his skill. That's a case where the market forces work, but it's far from the normal.

I also realize I'm using capitalistic terminology rather than musical or educational, and that may rankle. Sorry.

gotta go practice
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Apropos of nothing, I gave a first lesson today, in his home, to a 51 year old adult. (guitar)
He told me that he got more out of today's lesson than he had got from the local music store's 'Studio' in many months.

In his words: "I felt like I was being taught by a 6th grader, just wanting to show off"

Rob
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Tim, what you said here is very logical. I agree that both situations has good teachers and bad teachers.
Here is my viewpoint of two situations (piano teachers that function as sole-proprietor and piano teachers that function as contractor or employee at an established school)

Piano teacher as sole-proprietor:
Relationship of student-teacher can establish because there is only one teacher. As Kevin said, parents might want a piano teacher more than just a piano teacher, parents preferred someone to establish relationship in their children's life. In case of conflict, piano teacher, which is the only "employee or boss" in this case has to solve the conflict. If the conflict is not solve, then parents has to seek new piano teacher. In fear of losing students, usually piano teacher will try his best to find out the problem and to solve it.

Piano teacher as contractor or employee at established school:
Relationship between student and teacher has a "director" (which is the boss) in between. In fear of losing students, the director has to be in between this relationship. In case of conflict, even piano teacher wants to solve the problem, the director can just easily change the teacher. In this case, the problems is not solved. The piano student will have the same problem with new teacher. In surface, it seems that everything will go good with new teacher. It is like changing the label of the medicine with another new label and resell it. So, every year or every time when the problems come, the director change teacher to cover up instead of really focus to find out the problem and provide a solution. In this case, student not really improving. After changing to five different teachers, I am sure the parents give up piano and never wanted to deal with piano again.
Just my thoughts.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission