2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M

C
C
Nice. It has a very 19th century sound, heavily Chopin-esque to my ears, and of course the 19th century paintings go along with that.

I'm assuming you recorded this on a digital piano, yes?

You obviously got a lot of skill both in composition and in piano playing.

I didn't see any evidence of a website for you, do you primarily do work by commission? Your original music could be great in period movies, if you were inclined in that direction. No doubt you've already thought of that or already do that.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Chris Goslow; 02/08/13 09:47 PM.

Pianist/Composer/Songwriter/Music Artist website: http://www.chrisgoslow.com
My Piano Teaching website: http://www.pianolessonsinsacramento.com
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Very effective throughout, and "all of a piece", Mark. By "The Age of Wendy and Pan", I assumed that this was an allusion to the James Barrie novel -- is that correct? In any event, it comes off for me as a wistful, affectionate "tip of the hat" to a genteel world of the late 19th century. A wonderful evocation, and thanks for sharing!

M
OP Offline
M
Dear Chris,
thanks for the compliments. I don't play piano to any degree at all, and this was written purely with Sibelius and their Steinway sound patch. My youtube site is marknicol7 but I am only compiling music at the moment. I had one piece played by an orchestra last year. Have been meeting with a very good composer, Julian Cochran, who does have a website and a very good pianist, Gil Sullivan, who also has a site. All South Australian.
Thanks again Chris, it was a slow 4 month slug on this one piece. the other pieces from the series are on that youtube site marknicol7

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you Tim. Yes, the piece is dedicated to my partner, Wendy, and it is indeed intended to invoke the 19th. Century - where we both agree, we would rather have lived. Many thanks for your kind comments, pleasing people is what it is all about.
P.S. I spent a few hours with Julian Cochran the other day, and you should definitely look up his name and Mazurka No. 2 on youtube/the net. Best wishes.

C
C
Yeah, I checked out your page. Nice job writing for the piano.

You say you are compiling music... what's your goal for the music you are compiling?

Pianist/Composer/Songwriter/Music Artist website: http://www.chrisgoslow.com
My Piano Teaching website: http://www.pianolessonsinsacramento.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Mark,

It has many excellent and interesting ideas (as does the other music I listened to through your youtube page). Please keep posting as more becomes available for listening.

Mvh,
Michael

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Chris and Mike,
thanks for the positive messages. Of course I'd like to have my pieces played, but one has to pay one's dues - so to speak. For me it is more important to write one good piece of music, and have the chance of it being performed long term - rather than write 7 average or poor pieces, and have them performed immediately. That said, I consider myself to be just a 2nd. rate musician, perhaps punching a bit above my weight. So I have come to the work of serious composition late in life, in my 50s,(where as a Music Major in the 1970s I felt I had no real skill, and, worse, nothing to say), and now I have to concentrate upon just compiling a considerable opus of works that I can be happy with, and which express what I need to say. Given that I will spend as much if not more time writing Environmentalist Philosophy/Politics, where I actually have far more to say of importance, and that I also have to earn a crust, my eventual Opus will be limited. I was aiming at 7 Symphonies, but I don't know - things are going very slowly. Many, many thanks for the words of encouragement - and please check out the music and site of another Adelaide composer - Julian Cochran.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission