2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very convincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me about her nervousness, reasons for her nervousness, and what she was told during intermisssion. I don't think a huge percentage of her fans expect her to play flawlessly and are attracted merely by her technique. There are plenty of other pianists with big technique.)

"if she doesn't feel the music" (IMO there are very few pianists who have devoted tens of thousands of hours to practice who don't feel the music.)

"she played two heartless back to back Rach preludes."

"i'm sure they touch you more than Lisitsa's playing"

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."(talking about a different pianist)

"I can forgive mistakes but the clunkiness (sorry , but that is the best description I can come up with) of her interpretation was a real problem."

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" (The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.)

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing."(What's a "true pianist"? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?)

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/26/12 07:37 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at a master class because of their nature as explained in the previous sentence.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me.)

"if she doesn't feel the music"

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."

"I can forgive mistakes but the clunkiness (sorry , but that is the best description I can come up with) of her interpretation was a real problem."

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing." What's a "true pianist? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?

I don't feel like ruining this thread with it again, but I've previously listed (relatively objective IMO), examples of her playing which I didn't like, and for some reason, nobody ever replied to them.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

How would you explain, in more specific detail, the reason(s) why you thought that some selections were not "played at a very high level". What is the very high level standard you are referring to? extraordinary pianist such as Peraiah, Argerich, Richter etc? or concert level pianist but not necessarily a super star? What makes soemone 's playing "very high level"?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tough crowd.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What's to get? She found a bug in a dressing room, and decided to interview it on camera 4tehlulz. Hilary Hahn did a similar video with a goldfish I seem to remember.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZl1_NXKls

A betta sorry not a goldfish.

I find most of the criticisms of Lisitsa's posted thus far to be both too subjective and too unspecific to be very unconvincing. I did not think all of the selections were played at a very high level although I thought some were very well played, but I also think comments like those below would not be made by a teacher at, for example, a master class because they are so nebulous.

"But beginning with Mozart Fantasie, I felt that she was very tense, not to make a single mistake, and this continued with the Beethoven too. I can speculate that she was advised to play more freely and not care too much during the intermission. Which IMO, showed some evidence in the Rachmaninoff."(Seems like pure speculation to me about her nervousness, reasons for her nervousness, and what she was told during intermisssion. I don't think a huge percentage of her fans expect her to play flawlessly and are attracted merely by her technique. There are plenty of other pianists with big technique.)

"if she doesn't feel the music" (IMO there are very few pianists who have devoted tens of thousands of hours to practice who don't feel the music.)

"nevertheless I do feel touched by her personality, she feels the music and thus she moves me."(talking about a different pianist)

"Her playing/technique also lacks a certain level of finesse and refinement that can be found in that of extremely high level pianists. She pushes her technique too far outside of her physical limitations and that makes her sound amateurish to be honest. For comparison:" (The poster then compares her playing to Perahia, who is one of the greatest pianists in the world.)

"IMO, she is not a true pianist/musician. She really can't listen to what she is playing."(What's a "true pianist"? How can one possibly know what another pianist is hearing?)

A true musician brings tears to my face, they communicate the most intense and sublime emotions of a certain piece. I feel a greater connection to the humankind after listening to an artist performing. And that simply doesn't happen when I listen to Lisitsa - I don't say she is devoid of all emotions but when I close my eyes, I feel very little. I can't provide objective information, but my personal opinion is that she is extremelly inferior, emotionally speaking, to most artists out there, she fails to comunicate to my heart.
This may sound like stupid sissy talk but it's the only way I can discuss this subject wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Never mind all the people at her recital whose hearts were touched. An artist must communicate specifically to Quaver Pyjama's heart to be a true artist.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
What's to get? She found a bug in a dressing room, and decided to interview it on camera 4tehlulz. Hilary Hahn did a similar video with a goldfish I seem to remember.

I see. So it is not only silly, it is also not so 'creative' but rather "influenced". smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
All creation is influenced, and you say silly like it's a bad thing.
I have no idea whether Lisitsa has seen the aforementioned video Hahn posted (which I'm sure wasn't the first example of this joke).

Never mind all the people at her recital whose hearts were touched. An artist must communicate specifically to Quaver Pyjama's heart to be a true artist.

Lol, I laughed at this one grin
I know I'm annoying when I post annonymously on the internet, but in real life i'm a nicer person - I don't nag people with my artistic purism.
(well, sometimes I nag my colleagues but it's rare! grin)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
All creation is influenced...

Wrong.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Example?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Quaver Pyjama

Lol, I laughed at this one grin
I know I'm annoying when I post annonymously on the internet, but in real life i'm a nicer person - I don't nag people with my artistic purism.
(well, sometimes I nag my colleagues but it's rare! grin)

I believe you smile

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Her performance of Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria was magnificant IMO.

Last edited by Works1; 07/17/12 03:12 PM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Works1
Her performance of Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria was magnificent IMO.

This was obviously top-notch playing technically, although I believe she also gets right to the heart of the matter as for projecting the emotions.

As for all who have been critical of Lisitsa's playing I challenge you to make a better recording!

So, are there any takers?*

*Extra note:

I am excluding myself, as it is currently not something I wish to struggle with since I am contending with other back tension issues while at the piano/computer and some additional hand/wrist strain at this time.

Also, I have to commend any pianist (professional, or, otherwise) that can continue to play pieces at a very high level of difficulty without injury to themselves, as Valentina Lisitsa has demonstrated this can be done.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 02/11/13 10:38 AM. Reason: I shouldn't bother

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Kind of how I feel

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission