2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Roger.S Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Everywhere I look on YouTube, forums, reviews .... I see the view that Casio has the best piano action in the mid-price range with the PX-*50 series.

If I were Casio's marketing director I would be looking for my people to be achieving this result! So he must be a happy man.

As a beginner/improver I would appreciate any objective views on the validity of this.

Also on the comparative actions of their similarly priced competitors.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It is all subjective; it is very comfortable to play and the textured keys are a unique feature not present in that price range.
However, there is nothing shabby about their previous version the x30 series.
All manufacturers are going to hype their products in one way another- as was discussed in an interesting thread here that is active.
The only way to get around this is to try out the items and see what works for you.
I recently brought into some hype myself and was better on a previous generation model for my own use.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Part of that is that these Casios are not really in the mid-price range. They are the hard-core low range. There is almost nothing below it and I have never seen a recommendation for anything cheaper by anyone in this forum.

At those prices, any little feature is much appreciated. And Casio delivered a triple sensor, graded, fully-weighted action with some kind of synthetic ivory. It's not a great piano on an absolute scale, but we if we compare it to alternatives that cost the same, or that we had access to previously, it's great.

There is plenty of hype going around (as there always is when a new action comes out). However, unless the new action is significantly worse than the last one, it's a great option in its price bracket. After all, the last one was too.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/10/13 07:24 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm not going to overhype all of the changes in the Privia-x50 series as some are only small improvements, however the action is worthy of praise, hype, etc. Every time I demonstrate to a piano technician, they make confused faces. It isn't just good for its class or good for the money, it's really good. When they see that, they make faces. shocked

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I bought a Casio PX-150 a couple of weeks ago. As a beginner with limited experience, my comments won't mean much. That said, I see on another thread that the original poster currently has a Yamaha NP30. I upgraded from its lower priced cousin, a Yamaha NP11 and can say the Casio PX-150 is a significant upgrade.

Biggest differences are the action and range of expression. It is easier to play faster, with less fatigue for my fragile hands and wrists. The dynamic range feels like going from a old-style five speed bike to a modern bike with 20 to 30 gears to choose from. There is also the issue of the 61 keys on the NP11.

Biggest competitor at the ~$600 price level is the Yamaha P105.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I bought a Casio PX-150 a couple of weeks ago. As a beginner with limited experience, my comments won't mean much. That said, I see on another thread that the original poster currently has a Yamaha NP30. I upgraded from its lower priced cousin, a Yamaha NP11 and can say the Casio PX-150 is a significant upgrade.

Biggest differences are the action and range of expression. It is easier to play faster, with less fatigue for my fragile hands and wrists. The dynamic range feels like going from a old-style five speed bike to a modern bike with 20 to 30 gears to choose from. There is also the issue of the 61 keys on the NP11.

Biggest competitor at the ~$600 price level is the Yamaha P105.

fragile hands and wrists? for god's sake you are playing a piano, not boxing.

Last edited by adak; 02/10/13 10:01 PM.

Casio Privia PX-150

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by adak

Hey, easy there, tiger!

Not everyone is built the same - some folks have weaker hands, wrists, and arms than others.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
>> fragile hands and wrists? for god's sake you are playing a piano, not boxing.

Fragile is not the right word. I have chronic long term use problems from years on the computer, whistle and flute. The hammer action makes a difference as compared to the plastic keys and no action on the NP11.

I've seen plenty of reports on the adult beginner's forum about hand problems. I was one of them. I'd guess 10% of beginners give up or severely curtail their piano activities due to injuries.

gnu Offline
Yeah, I once managed to give myself tendinitis (tendinosis?) from a combination of playing piano, cello, and touch-typing. It's no joke. That's when I learned to warm up and stretch before playing. For anyone with similar problems, I also highly recommend the book What Every Pianist Needs to Know About The Body.

Public domain scores: scanned (IMSLP) · typeset (Mutopia)
Free open source software: notation (MuseScore) · workstation/sequencer (LMMS)
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well the action on a digital piano is a subjective thing. You have to try it for yourself and decide if you like it or don't. There are more pro players using or owning Privias. Casio continues to rack up one key buy award after another from Keyboard Magazine. They are a company that delivers solid products at low price points. When you want value for your money, Casio is worth looking at.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Go to a showroom. Play on an acoustic piano (or several of them -- pianos differ among themselves) for a while -- just concentrate on how the keys feel as they go down, how they return, how it feels to repeat a note quickly.

Then try the same thing on some "low-end" ($500-$1000) digital pianos.

If you forget what an acoustic piano feels like, go back and try one again.

You'll be able to answer your own question, for yourself, I think.

FWIW, I bought a PX-350 and really enjoy playing it. I thought it had a nicer action than a Yamaha P105, and was equal to (but different than) a P155. The previous comment:
. . . It's not a great piano on an absolute scale, but we if we compare it to alternatives that cost the same, or that we had access to previously, it's great.

sums it up pretty well.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by adak
]

Huh! Let's hope you never (get old and) suffer then.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission