2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I hope piano keeps its tuning and settles in!

Thanks. So far it hasn't fared all that well since the initial tuning. There were a couple sour notes after just a couple weeks, which was disappointing. Definitely not the tuner's fault though. Now at 7 weeks post-tuning, it doesn't sound very good, but it is still an awful lot better than the video posted above.

I'm planning to have it tuned again May, hopefully timed nicely for ABFR #30, but we'll see.

It's one thing to tune it and have it sound good for a few days or a couple weeks. The real test will be to see how it does after its 3rd tuning. That's where I figure I'll have my answer re: if it's going to be serviceable over the long term or not.

If it sticks, I'll post an "after" video. I'm hoping Sam S will do that too. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm going to relate a story that is not mine, but was told with great hilarity by my Russian piano teacher. He speaks with a thick, rumbling Russian accent and we had all had a few glasses of wine which added to the laughter. Many years ago, after he had earned a bachelor's degree from a Novosibirsk conservatory, the refined and educated Alexei was obligated to serve in the Soviet army. He was stationed at a bleak and cold place on the Chinese border. Conditions were harsh and he missed his music and his former life.

His superior officer, an unpleasant and cruel man who knew nothing about music, had purchased a used upright piano for his granddaughter. When he bought it, he was told it was an excellent instrument and he paid a high price for it. The officer heard that Alexei was a musician and called him into his office. He growled that the "new" piano was broken and implied that it was Alexei's fault. He then ordered Alexei to fix the piano immediately. Alexei was terrified because he had no idea how to fix a piano but he had to obey a direct order.

Upon opening the fallboard of the dilapidated upright, Alexei observed that most of the ivories were missing from the keys. "Uh, oh. Thees eees not loooking so good." When he sat down to play, there was no sound whatsoever. Perplexed, he opened the piano to discover this "excellent instrument" did not have single string. Horrified, he wondered how he was going to obey a direct order from his martinet-like officer. There was no way he could contradict the officer by stating the piano was a piece of junk. (By now, we were all laughing our heads off). Upon closer inspection, he found that the base of the piano was filled with what appeared to be a large rat's nest. He then discovered that the nest contained little hairless baby rats and the parents had eaten most of the piano felt.

I wish you could have been there when he related this story because it was hilarious and yes, he did fix the piano, went on to earn a masters degree in conducting and immigrated to the U.S.

Best regards,

Deborah
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Not a piano, but a little pedal organ. It was in the little unused Victorian chapel on the campus of Winthrop University. It was derelict, and I was lucky to even get a wheeze or two out of it but I did manage to pick out a tune or two. That was when I was a seventeen year old kid who'd try anything.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I hope piano keeps its tuning and settles in!

Thanks. So far it hasn't fared all that well since the initial tuning. There were a couple sour notes after just a couple weeks, which was disappointing. Definitely not the tuner's fault though. Now at 7 weeks post-tuning, it doesn't sound very good, but it is still an awful lot better than the video posted above.

I'm planning to have it tuned again May, hopefully timed nicely for ABFR #30, but we'll see.

It's one thing to tune it and have it sound good for a few days or a couple weeks. The real test will be to see how it does after its 3rd tuning. That's where I figure I'll have my answer re: if it's going to be serviceable over the long term or not.

If it sticks, I'll post an "after" video. I'm hoping Sam S will do that too. smile

I do hope it hangs in there aTallGuyNH! I think Sam did post an after somewhere a few months ago but where on the forum I cannot remember. Hope he jogs my memory!

Deb- Alexei sounds very skilled!!!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/10/13 08:44 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Not a piano, but a little pedal organ. It was in the little unused Victorian chapel on the campus of Winthrop University. It was derelict, and I was lucky to even get a wheeze or two out of it but I did manage to pick out a tune or two. That was when I was a seventeen year old kid who'd try anything.

Aww I can just picture it going huff huff.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just found it aTallGuy!

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1975399/Re:%20Help!%20I%27ve%20got%20piano%20acqui.html#Post1975399

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/10/13 08:53 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Deb- Alexei sounds very skilled!!!
He was a marvelous teacher and I learned a tremendous amount from him. He was also a great story teller. I stopped taking lessons from him a few years ago and moved on to a teacher with higher level piano skills, but I will always remember Alexei with deep respect and affection. Sadly, he took my leaving him personally and cut off contact.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I just found it aTallGuy!

Wow! What a dramatic difference.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I was hoping you guys wouldn't find it and I could post a better recording when I had the time. The playing in those recordings is awful. But you can still hear the dramatic difference the tuning made. It doesn't sound like the same instrument at all.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
I was hoping you guys wouldn't find it and I could post a better recording when I had the time. The playing in those recordings is awful. But you can still hear the dramatic difference the tuning made. It doesn't sound like the same instrument at all.

I aspire to be as awful as you some day.... smile

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

Sam- awful??? I wish I was that GOOD! I could not even play a bar of this music. And you had got to that stage in a year. In a year I am still plonking below grade 1 pieces. I don't think you realise how talented you are!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
It's one thing to tune it and have it sound good for a few days or a couple weeks. The real test will be to see how it does after its 3rd tuning.

Ask your tuner if it would help to use ethyl cyanoacrylate on the pins, perhaps just the loose ones.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Deborah, what a funny story. Sounds like he's lucky the officer didn't just have him lined up and shot.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
It's one thing to tune it and have it sound good for a few days or a couple weeks. The real test will be to see how it does after its 3rd tuning.

Ask your tuner if it would help to use ethyl cyanoacrylate on the pins, perhaps just the loose ones.

Glueing the pins?? I've never heard of this... it strikes me as an approach that would invariably present problems down the road, but what do I know.

Regardless, they are not loose, it's just the nature of the beast when it is as out of tune as you can hear in the video above. In order to tune it, an enormous amount of pressure must be applied to the frame of the piano (a ton was the estimate I was given), and it's going to be pulling back to where it was before. Even if you weld the pins in place, it's not going to keep the piano in tune.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
[Ask your tuner if it would help to use ethyl cyanoacrylate on the pins, perhaps just the loose ones.

Glueing the pins?? I've never heard of this... [/quote]

Search for cyanoacrylate in the technicians forum. It's far better than previous pinblock chemical treatments. It gets years of extra life out of pianos that would otherwise be junked. There's a high probability that it would help those few strings that go south the fastest.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
Deborah, what a funny story. Sounds like he's lucky the officer didn't just have him lined up and shot.
laugh

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh

Hey! I heard that piano, but didn't play it as I was passing through Red's Meadow on my Pacific Crest Trail trek. I don't recall it sounding that bad, so it must get at least some attention.

Maybe there should be a pianos on the PCT thread.

We just did a four day hike to finish Section E. After we finished, we went into Tehachapi for lunch. We were hungry!
We stopped at the Tehachapi Museum which has a very good exhibit of Indian basketry for a small unfunded museum.

They also have a restored house with an old Ludwig upright. Surprisingly, the docent said, "Sure, it works. Sit down a play if you want."

It needed a tuning, but actually, it wasn't far off. It was at least close to being in tune to itself. The action was not bad, it had nice dynamics and the ivory keys were in pretty good shape.

It was not a bad piano at all.

Gary
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission