2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I have a client with a 52" Kimball they want to restore. The size of the standard (Pratt Win) replacement hammer butts from Schaff or Pianotek don't match the originals. The butt heights are comparable, but when matching up the action centers, the depth of the replacement puts the radius of the hammer butt buckskin (and catcher buckskin) ~3 mm closer to the player. If I were to replace whippens, I have a similar "mismatch" with the standard Pratt Winn part for dowel captstans - the profile is similar, but the replacement jack height is 2+mm higher (when matching up the action centers whippens and jacks).

These seem like big differences to accommodate - I can envision lowering the dowel to handle the higher jack, but this would really angle the whippen, affecting damper spoon and also backcheck. And I wonder about the new postion of that buckskin radius - seems like the jack wont have a proper seat under the butt at rest. Should I be looking for replacement parts with a closer match to the originals? Any suggestions on my options? Am I stuck with rebuilding the original parts?

Btw, I don't have the Schwander action parts on hand, but the pictures in the catalogues don't appear to match profiles (these are for shorter Kimballs, right?).

Fred Hamaker, RPT
Tuning, Performance Prep
Assessments, Rebuilding and Regulation
www.RochesterPianoService.com
How old are the parts and the piano? Can you rebush and repin without breaking birdseyes? Do you need to rebush at all? Replacing the buckskin should be easy enough unless someone used waterproof glue at some point. (Been there - aaargh!)

Not sure if WNG will be furnishing the sizes of parts you will need, but I believe that they will be offering composite parts for vertical actions sometime in 2013, if you can wait. I'd give them a call and see if they'll be making parts that would fit your application.

I am assuming this Kimball is worth the trouble? I actually love their grands from the 50s so I have lots of respect for the brand when they were made in Chicago.

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
R
R
A full sized Kimball upright totally restored in a killer piano!
Many of the 3/4 plate with the open faced pin block are powerful pianos. I would rate them relatively above the grands and better than a Steinway upright.

The brass rails and the collapse of the pin block are the two boogie bears in the mix, however. $$$$$$$$ ! They are only worth the trouble, if that is what the customer wants and can afford the proper rebuild. They surely have no magic value, such as the Steinway name. Ironically, however these uprights outshine the more recent Kimballs so much that it saddens one to see what was lost from their old days.

(As often is the case.)

Last edited by RestorerPhil; 02/10/13 02:42 PM.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
F
OP Offline
F
I believe the piano is 80 years old. Hammers are shot, and many of the action centers are not controlling hammer movement. I will need either to rebush or get new flanges (at least these can be purchased). Back to the butts, there is evidence that the hammer butt leather and underlying felts have been replaced before. The felts are a little different to most of the ones sold today (this has 2 pieces of action felt, instead of 1 piece of that in the lower position and a piece of compressed felt just above it - both covered with the felt). As it is today, the radius is kinda choppy - would the original felt under the leather have been layed out like this?

Unfortunately, I don't think this client is going to want to wait for WNG parts, but I also don't think they are going to like the expense of this work!

Fred Hamaker, RPT
Tuning, Performance Prep
Assessments, Rebuilding and Regulation
www.RochesterPianoService.com
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Is this a Kimball action with the brass rail dampers? If it is, I would spec out rebuilding it with standard parts. That will require reshaping the action rail to accommodate the parts. I would not expect that the client would go for it.

If you feel you are not up to doing that, I suggest you turn down the job, explaining your reasons.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission