2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Just curious as to whether anyone else has noticed that in the videos of PianoForAll, Robin's piano seems to be about 1/2 step out of tune (flat)?

I'm taking the course on my digital piano with the videos presented on my laptop, and the discrepancy in tone is quite noticable.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
O
O
Well you know your completely loosing the plot when you do things like I just did.

I've looked at various courses over the years, saw this thread last night, gave it another look and thought I'd give it a go.

Placed the receipt in my backup folder and saw a similar receipt, I looked at it and sure enough I'd bought it in 2011.

Think I'm going completely mad

[Linked Image]
F
F
You are not alone!

ChazG #2029408 02/08/13 06:06 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm sure it has a psychological effect to buy new piano material. It gives you a sense of a new start. Doesn't matter if you bought it before, if your mind thinks it's new, it has the same effect. grin

However, what I need to do, is use the material I've gotten before, not just let it lay there on my hard disk or shelfs.

Last edited by Pianotehead; 02/08/13 06:08 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
ChazG #2029430 02/08/13 06:55 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Two things nobody mentioned a penny of how much it cost? Is the site in Paris, Turkey, San Francisco or London England? Do the vidoes have someobdy playing a piano? How can a beginner not have some music? My local music store has a huge floor of music books on jazz beginning piano, improv, scales. How is this web site so special? So you don't need a teacher, you don't need a music book, you don't need a piano, but you can learn to play the piano? I don't understand but I have brain damage and it is showing.

ChazG #2029432 02/08/13 07:08 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
$39, says so on the website. The videos are short demonstrations with Robin showing in action what he's teaching. No, it's not enough to read about some playing technique or song, you have to sit down and play it. Nobody has said otherwise.

Last edited by Pianotehead; 02/08/13 07:09 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
ChazG #2029490 02/08/13 09:06 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I still would like to hear from some people who have completes this program and the results. We always read about these type programs but we never seem to find anyone who graduated.

TheodorN #2029499 02/08/13 09:27 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
FYI - The course is presented in about 8 or 9 separate "books" which are PDF files with embedded videos and sound files which are examples of what's to be played in the lessons. There are separate books for various styles of playing (ie - blues, ballads, jazz, classical, etc). These books can be loaded onto either a computer or an iPad (or both).

Can you learn to play without a piano? - Of course not. ...And the website never claims that you can.

Bert
Michael_99 #2029512 02/08/13 09:48 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by Michael_99
Two things nobody mentioned a penny of how much it cost? Is the site in Paris, Turkey, San Francisco or London England? Do the vidoes have someobdy playing a piano? How can a beginner not have some music? My local music store has a huge floor of music books on jazz beginning piano, improv, scales. How is this web site so special? So you don't need a teacher, you don't need a music book, you don't need a piano, but you can learn to play the piano? I don't understand but I have brain damage and it is showing.

It's in the USA, when I just bought it, it converted to £26.38 + £5.28 VAT making it £31.66

I emailed them telling them of my mistake and got the refund conformation email within the hour so top marks.

I wanted it as a complement to my other learning. I am working through Alfred's books and also enjoying the playpianotoday course. The Alfred is more traditional and I'm learning to read music and sight read from it, the playpianotoday let's me easily play tunes that are more my style.

The playpianotoday has more on rhythms etc when improvising. There's also no music to read in it which means that I can pay attention to the rhythm and swing etc of what I'm playing, experiment with inversions and playing on different octaves.

Whereas the Alfred's books I'm concentrating on the music, taking note of when to use the pedal, when to get louder or softer etc.

Both completely different approaches and I'm enjoying them both a lot. One I'm learning to read music etc, the other I'm learning to improvise.

Reading up on pianoforall, sure I'll know lots of it, but for not much more than a lot of hardcover books cost, hopefully it will give me tips the others don't.

[Linked Image]
Mark... #2029535 02/08/13 10:27 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark...
I still would like to hear from some people who have completes this program and the results. We always read about these type programs but we never seem to find anyone who graduated.

That is because no-one ever does. We all jump around from method to method, in hopes of getting that "best" way to learn.

The problem is ... there is no "best" way .... only different.

I have PianoForAll and it is fine. If you do everything he suggests, you will end up being a very good player.

BTW ... most courses are like that. If you do what they tell you to do you get pretty good at playing the piano.

Last edited by dmd; 02/08/13 10:28 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2029568 02/08/13 11:51 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
dmd,

Well said. The $10 piano book teaches you to play the piano. Alll you have to do is to play the 60 pages and rewiew and review day after day week after week month after month. It is that simple. Learning to play the piano means sitting at the piano 3 hours a day for the rest of your life playing slowly and accurately.

Last edited by Michael_99; 02/08/13 11:51 PM.
ChazG #2029655 02/09/13 05:33 AM

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I got the books... 37 Euros with taxes. I downloaded everything on my iPad and it looks great! I'm halfway through book 1 (already know lots of chords and rhythms thanks to the Alfred's books) and it's exactly the kind of approach I was looking for. Will devote 1 hour a week to this. I see it as a nice complement to my other books.

And yes... I guess we're always looking for new methods and materials... actually anything that has to do with piano is interesting for me now, so anything goes as long as it has the word "piano" in it laugh
Personally, it's also a matter of gradually understanding what kind of player you want to be, the music you really like to make etc. So it's always work-in-progress.

Last edited by sinophilia; 02/09/13 05:42 AM.
Michael_99 #2029684 02/09/13 07:38 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Michael_99
Learning to play the piano means sitting at the piano 3 hours a day for the rest of your life playing slowly and accurately.

BINGO !

Isn't it the truth !

Especially the part about ... SLOWLY and ACCURATELY !

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
ChazG #2029855 02/09/13 01:04 PM
C
ChazG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It is great to see that this thread that I started has been updated. I started the Piano for All program; but I did not continue with it. Like it was mentioned, many try new programs to learn; but only for a limited time. Then, it is off to try another program. It seems that I always order play by ear programs; but I never get far with these programs to reach my goal. I am always looking to see if there something much better to order.

My main goal is to try to learn how to play piano by ear. This program helps to learn progressions taken from different genres of music. You can memorize the different progressions and apply it to piano ear playing.

This program is great for beginners just to learn rhythm patterns and experiment with many different styles of music. It is very extensive; and it takes many months of practicing all the ebooks to learn all the material.

The program can be downloaded immediately after purchase; but you can also request a CD version of all ebooks put into one file to be dowloaded.

This is one of many programs that beginners can order to start learning how to play piano by note and only be applied to an extent in playing by ear.

dmd #2029882 02/09/13 02:03 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Mark...

That is because no-one ever does. We all jump around from method to method, in hopes of getting that "best" way to learn.

The problem is ... there is no "best" way .... only different.

I have PianoForAll and it is fine. If you do everything he suggests, you will end up being a very good player.

BTW ... most courses are like that. If you do what they tell you to do you get pretty good at playing the piano.

Some people do finish what they start. And it helps to know if a course like this (or any course) delivers. If a course is excellent it should have a good number of graduates who can demonstrate some results. It seems we see a lack of results from most if not all of these online (download) type courses.

Is it the student giving up, because it doesn't work? If a course is good, why would a dedicated student stop?

Can anyone name an online course that has turned them into a very good player?

ChazG #2029892 02/09/13 02:25 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Many of the online courses out there are the same wine in different wineskins. The question is if there are programs that can make your practice time more productive.

I quit the PFA course, but I also quit Rocket Piano. Before that I had gone through the first gmajormusictheory.org categories and I also quit that. It may look like I'm a quitter. I actually started with a teacher, but I didn't quit with him, he quitted with me. I'm not a quitter!

I believe the reason I quit with those programs or methods, has nothing to with the methods themselves, rather me. It's just that other things consumed my time, like my University studies. The Alfred's books would have ended back on the shelf as well, in my case.

Last edited by Pianotehead; 02/09/13 02:28 PM.

Me on YouTube

ChazG #2029951 02/09/13 04:42 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
>> Can anyone name an online course that has turned them into a very good player?

It is an interesting question. Let me preface my comments by saying that I have no dog in this hunt. I can see pros and cons, though I would not be a buyer of the course.

I think a good analogy is the exercise equipment advertised on TV. The TV spot makes it look so easy, the actors look great, that's why people buy. Most people that buy, use the equipment a few times and then it dawns on them the hard work needed to get significant results. Most buyers give it up without getting full use out of the equipment. The courses aren't all that different.

Like the exercise equipment, or even method books for that matter, a dedicated person will get some value out of it. I'd guess that 1% or maybe 0.1% get what might considered full value out of their purchase of TV advertised exercise equipment. However, let's not make it a federal case. The cost of the program in this thread is the same or less than most spend on a single lesson from a teacher. It isn't that big a deal either way in this case, though there are other much more expensive options out there.

The scenario painted by some, of learning only from a method book, and sitting at the bench for hours would make me give up from boredom and despair. That kind of regimen isn't for me. I prefer audio and video, as well as paper notation. Again, I would not be a buyer of the course.

Different people learn in different ways. I am sure many customers feel they got their $40 (or whatever the price is) of value out of their purchase. To expect one purchase to turn out a very good musician is a bit much.

Another analogy, I bought the book, The Musician's Way. I feel like I got my purchase price worth of value out of it, even though the book is aimed at college level music majors vs. hobbyist musicians like myself. No one expects that a single book, no matter how good, would vault me into being a very good musician. The Musician's Way book helped me in small ways, at the margins. I would guess that many people that bought the course mentioned here, and did a few lessons from it, may feel similar. That they got their money's worth out of it, but it only helped here and there.

Yet another analogy, if a person pays to go to a master's class, or a week at a music retreat, they don't expect that class, or a week, to vault to them to a much higher level. That doesn't mean those classes or retreats aren't worth the money. The attendees may find one, two, or ten tips or observations or experiences that help them on their journey.

Sand Tiger #2030019 02/09/13 07:49 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
>> Can anyone name an online course that has turned them into a very good player?

It is an interesting question. Let me preface my comments by saying that I have no dog in this hunt. I can see pros and cons, though I would not be a buyer of the course.

I think a good analogy is the exercise equipment advertised on TV. The TV spot makes it look so easy, the actors look great, that's why people buy. Most people that buy, use the equipment a few times and then it dawns on them the hard work needed to get significant results. Most buyers give it up without getting full use out of the equipment. The courses aren't all that different.

Like the exercise equipment, or even method books for that matter, a dedicated person will get some value out of it. I'd guess that 1% or maybe 0.1% get what might considered full value out of their purchase of TV advertised exercise equipment. However, let's not make it a federal case. The cost of the program in this thread is the same or less than most spend on a single lesson from a teacher. It isn't that big a deal either way in this case, though there are other much more expensive options out there.

The scenario painted by some, of learning only from a method book, and sitting at the bench for hours would make me give up from boredom and despair. That kind of regimen isn't for me. I prefer audio and video, as well as paper notation. Again, I would not be a buyer of the course.

Different people learn in different ways. I am sure many customers feel they got their $40 (or whatever the price is) of value out of their purchase. To expect one purchase to turn out a very good musician is a bit much.

Another analogy, I bought the book, The Musician's Way. I feel like I got my purchase price worth of value out of it, even though the book is aimed at college level music majors vs. hobbyist musicians like myself. No one expects that a single book, no matter how good, would vault me into being a very good musician. The Musician's Way book helped me in small ways, at the margins. I would guess that many people that bought the course mentioned here, and did a few lessons from it, may feel similar. That they got their money's worth out of it, but it only helped here and there.

Yet another analogy, if a person pays to go to a master's class, or a week at a music retreat, they don't expect that class, or a week, to vault to them to a much higher level. That doesn't mean those classes or retreats aren't worth the money. The attendees may find one, two, or ten tips or observations or experiences that help them on their journey.

I agree

These online courses I view just like any other book of music etc.

I read and watched the vids of the first 40 odd pages of Pianoforall in bed last night on my ipad. I learnt something that's probably very obvious to most people, but that one thing made something click into place.

I have learnt to read music over the past year and can sight read Alfreds Book 1 quite well, many at the proper speed first go. I always struggle remembering the notes when it goes above the treble staff or below the bass staff.

But I saw a particular diagram in Pianoforall last night that made it snapped into my mind that 2 lines above the treble cleff and two lines below the bass is C.

Seeing it there just made it go ping in my brain and I will never forget it and that will make my whole sight reading and music reading skills much easier in the future.

I now know instantly that the line below the bass staff is E as it's one line above the C etc.

Sure I've learnt the usual rhymes to remember the notes, but the sudden realisation about those two C's has made me realise that the bass cleff staff lines are the same notes as the treble cleff only one line down, so if something is on the bottom line of the bass, that would be the same as being on the next line up on the treble cleff, hence its a G. I'm not saying that's an ideal way to read music of course, I'm saying it's useful to know if ever my mind goes blank.

Most of the first 40 odd pages I knew already, but that one little snippit is a superb thing that Alfreds hadn't managed to display/teach in a way that worked for me to remember.

That was the only thing new I learnt from the first 40 pages, but the start of the book is aimed at beginners hence this is to be expected and I have often experienced the same thing with some very good programming books when I learnt to program many moons ago. The first few chapters told me things I already knew, but were worth reading because the odd snippet of information gave me a tip on programming I might not have realised all those other times.

I know some first class piano players that have a ton of different music books. They don't buy each book and work through it from start to end, they buy them when they catch their eye, some might not get open for months, a few not ever, others get dipped into for certain tunes etc

I know my piano playing has improved 10 fold due to the help of PlayPianoToday. It's not going to teach me to become a classical concert pianist but that's the last thing I want to be anyway.

It's little ideas that help with experimentation and improvisation. For example PlayPianoToday getting me to play say the chord of c as a broken chord but playing it as follows

C2, G2, E3

meaning I'm playing the third in the octave higher. Just that simple little thing gave me hours of experimental pleasure and watching them do it really helped too.

So yes I do think these courses are worth it if you don't think your going to be a concert pianist at the end of them.

If I reach a point where the course is not advanced enough or I'm into another course for different tips, so what, I've easily got my monies worth.

Both these courses added together cost around the same as one of my sons new released Xbox 360 games cost. And for that I have books on blues, books on gospel, books on chords, books on ballads etc.

I'm only a day into pianoforall and already its been worth it for my sight/music reading reading.

I'm a few months into PlayPianoToday and I don't regret buying it in the slightest and yes I can say with 100% certainty it has really helped improve my playing.

But, if your the sort of person that likes a traditional tutor, the traditional classical pieces etc, chances are it wont be for you.

best

Joe

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 02/09/13 07:51 PM.

[Linked Image]
Ojustaboo #2030035 02/09/13 08:21 PM
C

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012

Silver Supporter until Dec 28 2012
C
I have two posts in the beginning of this thread, and I have not changed my very positive opinion of Piano for all. It should be useful for many people on ABF. But of course one needs more than one course or one book. I have not used the course for a while, and lately i have found Piano-ology extremely useful and interesting. I have mentioned it here before, and now I am even more convinced about its usefulness. And it is absolutely free. It is definitely worth taking a look at it. Especially the Youtube videos on basic pianotechnique.

Ojustaboo #2030139 02/09/13 11:32 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

I agree

These online courses I view just like any other book of music etc.

I read and watched the vids of the first 40 odd pages of Pianoforall in bed last night on my ipad. I learnt something that's probably very obvious to most people, but that one thing made something click into place.

I have learnt to read music over the past year and can sight read Alfreds Book 1 quite well, many at the proper speed first go. I always struggle remembering the notes when it goes above the treble staff or below the bass staff.

But I saw a particular diagram in Pianoforall last night that made it snapped into my mind that 2 lines above the treble cleff and two lines below the bass is C.

Seeing it there just made it go ping in my brain and I will never forget it and that will make my whole sight reading and music reading skills much easier in the future.

I now know instantly that the line below the bass staff is E as it's one line above the C etc.

Sure I've learnt the usual rhymes to remember the notes, but the sudden realisation about those two C's has made me realise that the bass cleff staff lines are the same notes as the treble cleff only one line down, so if something is on the bottom line of the bass, that would be the same as being on the next line up on the treble cleff, hence its a G. I'm not saying that's an ideal way to read music of course, I'm saying it's useful to know if ever my mind goes blank.

Most of the first 40 odd pages I knew already, but that one little snippit is a superb thing that Alfreds hadn't managed to display/teach in a way that worked for me to remember.

That was the only thing new I learnt from the first 40 pages, but the start of the book is aimed at beginners hence this is to be expected and I have often experienced the same thing with some very good programming books when I learnt to program many moons ago. The first few chapters told me things I already knew, but were worth reading because the odd snippet of information gave me a tip on programming I might not have realised all those other times.

I know some first class piano players that have a ton of different music books. They don't buy each book and work through it from start to end, they buy them when they catch their eye, some might not get open for months, a few not ever, others get dipped into for certain tunes etc

I know my piano playing has improved 10 fold due to the help of PlayPianoToday. It's not going to teach me to become a classical concert pianist but that's the last thing I want to be anyway.

It's little ideas that help with experimentation and improvisation. For example PlayPianoToday getting me to play say the chord of c as a broken chord but playing it as follows

C2, G2, E3

meaning I'm playing the third in the octave higher. Just that simple little thing gave me hours of experimental pleasure and watching them do it really helped too.

So yes I do think these courses are worth it if you don't think your going to be a concert pianist at the end of them.

If I reach a point where the course is not advanced enough or I'm into another course for different tips, so what, I've easily got my monies worth.

Both these courses added together cost around the same as one of my sons new released Xbox 360 games cost. And for that I have books on blues, books on gospel, books on chords, books on ballads etc.

I'm only a day into pianoforall and already its been worth it for my sight/music reading reading.

I'm a few months into PlayPianoToday and I don't regret buying it in the slightest and yes I can say with 100% certainty it has really helped improve my playing.

But, if your the sort of person that likes a traditional tutor, the traditional classical pieces etc, chances are it wont be for you.

best

Joe

Very well said, Joe.

Like you, I have both courses (Piano for all and Play Piano Today). Since I wanted to learn about improvisational playing, I find these 2 courses work well together. (I have a long way to go in each but am enjoying the journey so far.) When I reach a sticking point in one course, I switch back to the other. I find that helps with combating frustration. Whether I complete each and every lesson of each course is irrelevant, IMO. But, if I feel that I'm progressing overall, based upon the lessons I complete, I'm happy.

But, if you're looking for training on sight reading, these 2 courses are NOT it.

Audio/Video instruction may not work for others, but I like it, and I have no regrets about purchasing/using either course.

Bert
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission