2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Greetings. I am the owner of M&H BB build around 2008. I have noticed that it is hard some times to play passages in sharp keys or you have to "Climb" over the black keys. I find it exhausting and I am always conscious about it. Is there a specific key depth on a grand piano?? Can it be changed without affecting the regulation of the keyboard?? Can the black keys be lowered a little bit without affecting it's playability? I also find that the separation between black keys is not as wide as in other pianos. Comments??
Thanks on advance

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Without seeing the piano, can't say but your tech will be able to tell.

When a black key is full down, how high is it above the white keys? If it looks like you could have them finish up lower without them burying themselves below the level of the white keys then you can have the black keys lowered.

This may help with the spacing because the fatter part of the black key is lower. If not, it is possible to change the spacing of the black keys quite easily.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
If the sharps are more than 13 mm, (1/2 inch) above the naturals, it is going to feel high. If either key depresses more than .410" (about 10 mm), it is going to feel deep. The sharps must not go below the surface of the naturals, and it feels better if there is at least .040" of the sharp extending above the naturals when depressed.
These are the basic dimensions of key travel and relationship to each other. Your piano probably has some variation, but the 1/2" height on the sharps is pretty widespread. If possible, I like to set them a little lower,but the action ratio determines how much dimension/aftertouch etc. you will actually have.
Regards,

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I have used a sharp height of 12mm. since my first rebuild 20 years ago. I hated that 1/2" height. If you check the sharp height on competitive instruments, you will find a concensus at 12mm. The 10mm dip is likewise better than the 3/8" dimension specified by some and is likewise a constant.

G
OP Offline
G
HI . Thanks for your reply. I checked the height of the black keys and it seems to be at 1/2 inch. According to my calculations 1/2 inch equals 12.7 mm which 0.7 mm would seem negligible. When the black keys are depressed, the rear of the key seems to be higher that the front. I assume that this is normal due to the angle. Is it difficult to lower the sharps without ungluing them from the actual key them and filing them?? Will the keyboard look a little goofy?/ Thanks to all for your responses.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by graycat89
HI . Thanks for your reply. I checked the height of the black keys and it seems to be at 1/2 inch. According to my calculations 1/2 inch equals 12.7 mm which 0.7 mm would seem negligible. When the black keys are depressed, the rear of the key seems to be higher that the front. I assume that this is normal due to the angle. Is it difficult to lower the sharps without ungluing them from the actual key them and filing them?? Will the keyboard look a little goofy?/ Thanks to all for your responses.

Yes, and Yes.
Regards,

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Key height is set by shims, not by adjusting the actual thickness of the keys!

Semipro Tech
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,
If either key depresses more than .410" (about 10 mm), it is going to feel deep.

One approach is to set the black keydip to provide equal aftertouch to the whites. Actual dip distance may vary from white dip.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks again to you all for your kind replies. Great information and it makes sense.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
... Is it difficult to lower the sharps without ungluing them from the actual key them and filing them?? Will the keyboard look a little goofy?/ Thanks to all for your responses.
Please, please tell us that you are not even contemplating doing anything remotely like this to a piano (even if it is your own)!!! help

JG
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Sorry, .7 mil is not negligible.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This could be a problem with regulation - the way a piano "feels" could be giving you a false impression that the dimension is incorrect. How long since it's been regulated. Even voicing can give a false impression.

If it's not had a regulation recently, I'd suggest getting that done - and the technician would be able to answer your questions about key depth.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
G
OP Offline
G
PLease , worry not. I have a very skilled technician and this will be addressed by him. I will proceed with caution since it sounds like it can change things dramatically. BTW. The piano has been regulated,voiced and tuned to a concert level. Thanks again to all

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by John Pels
Sorry, .7 mil is not negligible.

You mean .7 mm, I think. The term mil is most typically used to mean .001".

B
BDB Offline
B
.7 mm is less than the difference in the height of a black key over the white keys at the front compared to the height at the back.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
.. The piano has been regulated,voiced and tuned to a concert level. Thanks again to all
I am not sure I get it. A fairly new, high end piano, recently regulated to concert specs.... But you find it hard to play and ask how to change things.... No offense intended, but if the piano is in perfect shape, that only leaves the player, doesn't it? Did you recently upgrade from a digital that had an "easier" touch?

JG

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission