2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2028335 02/06/13 09:01 PM
B
BenP Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm working on putting up a website. It will not be anything complex - I like the online scheduling systems but will not be doing anything like that. Just contact info, maybe some general pricing, FAQ, caring for your piano, etc.

Any particular things you feel should or should not be on a website? Do you post prices on your website? And I'd be particularly curious why or why not.

I'll admit I've looked at a number of your websites in the past and have already gotten some ideas wink

Last edited by BenP; 02/06/13 09:02 PM.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
BenP #2028340 02/06/13 09:14 PM
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I have my website with Vistaprint. You can even start off with a free website and then upgrade later if you want to. Here's what mine looks like: www.thattuningguy.com

You can get business cards (and tons of other stuff) that match your website. It's worked out really great for me. If you do a google search in my city I'm usually at or near the top.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
BenP #2028353 02/06/13 09:36 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Ben,

I used Google sites to build my website. The only reason I used that is because that is what we use at the school where I teach (and it's free) I went to a clinic that our IT guy led and ended up creating a website for my choir at my school, one for my church and one for my business. I posted the links below to all three so you can see what kinds of things you can do with Google sites. For the church and my business I did purchase a domain name through GoDaddy. It's only $10 a year. Probably not the most fancy websites, but they work for me. I do post my prices. On the outgoing message on my answering machine, I direct people to my website and facebook page. That seems to answer a lot of questions for my customers and potential customers.

Church website: www.fumcph.org

School Website: https://sites.google.com/a/edu.westco.k12.mo.us/west-county-choirs/home

Business website: www.HassellsPianoTuning.com

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
BenP #2028361 02/06/13 09:46 PM
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
One thing you have to keep in mind is that having a bad website is worse than having none at all. Your website will have to convince people that you should be hired to work on their piano, which very well could have been their second or third most expensive purchase in their entire life.

It needs to be well designed... easy to navigate and visually appealing. With design, less is often more. Don't pick weird color combinations, fonts, or backgrounds that came out of an optical illusions book. I suggest having a home page that welcomes visitors to your site. At the top of your page, you should have a menu bar with links to different pages, such as: credentials/about me, services/prices, gallery (if you have photos of repair work or restoration), contact, resources/links, and faqs. Having good photos on your site adds to the visual appeal, but ask permission before you "borrow". Having music is also a nice touch, but again, make sure you have permission before using copyrighted material.

You should disclose prices on your website so that there is no confusion... it will also minimize the number of calls you get from price shoppers.

BenP #2028392 02/06/13 10:23 PM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Hi BenP,

I used Notepad to create my site. I know it is pretty basic, but it gets the point across.

I like the idea of putting the names of well known clients or businesses/schools on your site, to show you are respected by the music community. Having said that, I don't do that, which I should. But remember to get their permission, of course.

I do have my prices because I want to warn people of the extra charges possible if the piano hasn't been tuned in a long time.

One important area to not neglect. How will people find your website? You will need to do a little research into SEO (Search engine optimization) When people type 'piano tuner yourcity' into a search engine, there will be two areas where the relevant websites are returned. The organic results (usually in the middle) and the sponsored links (top few listings in the middle and usually down the right side of the search engine).

To get a good ranking in the organic search results (which by the way is free) your site will have to have a few elements that help the search engine to rate it as relevant. Some obvious ones:

1. Put the most common search words people will use to find your service, in the domain name, if you can. I.e. montrealpianotuner.com, etc. Or if your site is hosted on another site, use something like montrealpianotuner.tripod.com.

2. Try to put text in your site that explains exactly what it is you do. Don't worry about being redundant (but don't go overboard. Search engines don't like that.) Just explain in as basic terms as you can. E.g. "I tune pianos in Montreal and all surrounding cities and suburbs like Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Pointe Claire, Baie d'Urfe, ... etc." Those words will be scanned by the search engine robots and will help to qualify your site as indeed a place where someone can find a piano tuner in Dollard-des-Ormeuax, for example.

3. There are places in the webpage to put text that is not seen by browsers, but is seen by the robots. They are called meta tags. It is not clear if robots still look at those or give them much weight. The algorithms of the search engines are constantly changing. Meta tags were very popular and important in the early days.

4. Put a simple youtube video up on youtube describing who you are and what you do. Use common key words in the tag lines.

Finally, if you have the cash for advertising, you may be able to get immediate results as a sponsored ad, by creating an Google Adwords Campaign or similar service with the other search engines. Here you decide how much you want to pay every day (daily budget) and what you will pay each time someone clicks on your ad (cost-per-click) to have your site listed near the top for the key words you choose.

Choose too low a daily budget and your ad will stop showing when it is reached. Choose too low a cost-per-click and your ad will not show near the top or will not show every time. Figure on $80 - $100 per month.

I used to offer this service to technicians but I don't anymore. No one was interested. It is fairly easy to figure out if your computer literate and you have some time.

Hope that helps.

beethoven986 #2028399 02/06/13 10:38 PM
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by beethoven986
One thing you have to keep in mind is that having a bad website is worse than having none at all.

Having designed a lot of "bad" websites, I have to disagree to some extent. If the site looks like someone's vomited breakfast, well yes, that will definitely put people off. But a basic site with basic information, minimal font changes, and simple colours will always be better than no website. Don't be put off from getting "something" on the net because you are afraid it won't look impressive.

Some other suggestions I just thought of:
(These are just my suggestions for what they are worth. Others may disagree.)

Do NOT, under any circumstances, mix other information in with your piano tuning site. For example, if you have a band, or play professionally, or have a recording studio, etc, make a separate website for that. (Of course, if you go to my site, you see my ad for our PEI farmhouse that we rent out in the summer. My bad.) It just dilutes the reason why you want people to go to your piano tuning site; to hire a piano tuner.

I prefer to keep my site basic, with no flash or java. I feel these song and dance approaches take away from the basic service you provide and are trying to convey to the customer.

One thing I really, really liked in thattuningguy's site was the recordings of his tunings. Really nice. It made me want to hire him to tune my piano. (Does thattuningguy travel to Montreal?)

Having said all this about espousing the simplicity of a website, I have just two more things to say.

Once, a lady told me "Your website is the reason I hired you. It was very simple and basic and told me exactly what I wanted to know".

Also, take a look at craigslist.com. That site is often referenced in books on website design, to demonstrate the value of a basic design.

Well, I definitely need to get back to work. Let us all know what you decide finally, and don't forget to post a link when you're done.

Mark Cerisano #2028436 02/07/13 12:27 AM
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Originally Posted by beethoven986
One thing you have to keep in mind is that having a bad website is worse than having none at all.

Having designed a lot of "bad" websites, I have to disagree to some extent. If the site looks like someone's vomited breakfast, well yes, that will definitely put people off.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, but I specifically had the former, "breakfast vomit" in mind when I said that. I agree that a simple, tastefully done website is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
One thing I really, really liked in thattuningguy's site was the recordings of his tunings.

I also like this idea.

BenP #2028464 02/07/13 01:13 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I put my prices on my website so that we don't have to waste as much time with price shoppers.

The website is your online resume. Imagine you are an employer - would you hire you based on your website?

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
BenP #2028474 02/07/13 01:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My site is still a work in progress. So, I'm not posting the link on this forum...yet.

But, several things:

I do include prices.

I do include my approach and philosophy.

I also am including a pic. The following text is included with the pic for now:
Note: Below is a photo I am uploading temporarily
until I can upload a quality photo. This is for
identification purposes... so you will know it is
just me coming up the sidewalk to tune the piano.

I feel that including a photo may make the customer feel more secure. They know what to expect to see knocking at their door if they call me.

I am going the cheapest route I can find for now... I am using Tripod.com. Unfortunately, the url I have is rather cumbersome. If you find yourself stuck with a cumbersome url, check out tinyurl.com. You can create a shortcut to your site with a url like tinyurl.com/benp or something else you think is appropriate.

Edit: One other thing... I am including the words: "All Rights Reserved." at the bottom of the web-site.

Good luck! smile
-Joe

Last edited by daniokeeper; 02/07/13 01:30 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
BenP #2028656 02/07/13 11:10 AM
B
BenP Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for the great input. I probably should have clarified that I have run a couple of small websites in the past for other things, so I have some basic understanding of site design, SEO, etc. I haven't decided how to build the website yet - have used Google sites a little bit at my school and like what I've seen there for the most part. I already have a domain - sjpianotuning.com - I have always had "South Jersey Piano Tuning" on my business card so it seemed to make sense. Not really an official business name so much as explaining what I do.

I find it interesting that everyone said they put prices on their website. I agree - I have always put a couple of general prices even on the back of my business card, and I know as a customer I always appreciate as much disclosure as possible. I know there are a lot of piano technicians that don't publish any prices though - I'd be curious to hear some reasoning from the other side. I guess it would protect you a little more from other "competitors" trying to undercut. Or from customers expecting one price when in reality their piano needs a lot more work to be restored to usable condition.

And don't worry, I'll be sure to post a link when I get the site online. I also need to update my signature - thanks to Jurgen for the reminder wink

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
BenP #2028668 02/07/13 11:23 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenP
Thanks everyone for the great input. I probably should have clarified that I have run a couple of small websites in the past for other things, so I have some basic understanding of site design, SEO, etc. I haven't decided how to build the website yet - have used Google sites a little bit at my school and like what I've seen there for the most part. I already have a domain - sjpianotuning.com - I have always had "South Jersey Piano Tuning" on my business card so it seemed to make sense. Not really an official business name so much as explaining what I do.

I find it interesting that everyone said they put prices on their website. I agree - I have always put a couple of general prices even on the back of my business card, and I know as a customer I always appreciate as much disclosure as possible. I know there are a lot of piano technicians that don't publish any prices though - I'd be curious to hear some reasoning from the other side. I guess it would protect you a little more from other "competitors" trying to undercut. Or from customers expecting one price when in reality their piano needs a lot more work to be restored to usable condition.

And don't worry, I'll be sure to post a link when I get the site online. I also need to update my signature - thanks to Jurgen for the reminder wink

[Emphasis added]

Also, this is one reason I choose not to advertise the more prominent names I have tuned for and do tune for. Why spoon-feed competitors a list of my most prominent clientele?

I also want to protect their privacy... I don't want them bothered.

-Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
daniokeeper #2028744 02/07/13 01:55 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Do not include music or videos that launch when the page is opened.
Immediate turn off.

Learner
BenP #2028997 02/07/13 09:39 PM
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
One thing I really, really liked in thattuningguy's site was the recordings of his tunings. Really nice. It made me want to hire him to tune my piano. (Does thattuningguy travel to Montreal?)

I think that's just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me smile Thanks! Oh, and I'd love to come to Montreal wink

By the way, one of the recordings, Semplice was a good example of what Tunic OnlyPure software can do.

Last edited by That Guy; 02/07/13 09:43 PM.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
That Guy #2029032 02/07/13 11:36 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
For those who have not yet discovered it, Zara WebDesigner is a pretty good way to set up your website.
http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/

It is inexpensive, easy to use and surprisingly comprehensive. You can start simple and work up as you gain experience and confidence.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
BenP #2029237 02/08/13 11:41 AM
N
N
I built and designed my website myself and used www.Bandzoogle.com for the carrier. The 1st 6 months were free and I pay 19.00 a month for the service which has been beyond awesome. I've used them now for 4 years or so.

No one these days will take you seriously without a website. As far as prices go? Sure I have prices on mine and if you don't you will have a million calls asking you how much something is.

Something I like about my website is some of the features like " Site Traffic" allow me to pinpoint who looked at my website, when and what the IP address is so I can pretty much know in advance who will call me, from what city and what they originally looked up. It really is invaluable to stay competitive.

J Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
Since 1918
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
Lascassas TN
Murfreesboro TN
Nashville TN

BenP #2029241 02/08/13 11:54 AM
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
If you publish your prices online, you may do yourself a disservice as many customers don't understand precisely what is, and is not, included within that price. Also, you will be your best and highest asset in your discussions with new clients...others may feel differently but we've found the best way is to discuss with each new customer exactly what we can do to assist.

Having a website is very important....just a simple one page or with a few links will do all you need to do, IMHO. The more important thing is to have very good scheduling software to keep track of everybody!!

And in case it comes up, we don't schedule online either...same reason...we want to speak personally with people to get a sense of how they are best served. Plus, Jane does a great job scheduling so my routing is very good on a typical 5-6 tuning day...less driving means more time with pianos.

Hope some of that helps...

Rick (RPD)

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
malkin #2029761 02/09/13 10:15 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Do not include music or videos that launch when the page is opened.
Immediate turn off.

YES!!!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
BenP #2029848 02/09/13 12:54 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I use Frontpage and have since it came out. I would like to clean up my page
but am afraid if I change it I will loose my Google rating. I come up all over the place.
Having many pictures Google finds me.
Some people love all the photos but many web site designers have said I
have a terrible site. frown

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

BenP #2029868 02/09/13 01:34 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
I use Frontpage and have since it came out. I would like to clean up my page
but am afraid if I change it I will loose my Google rating. I come up all over the place.
Some people love all the photos but many web site designers have said I
have a terrible site. frown

Frontpage at one time was cutting edge. Same with the Freeway Express 4.4.2 consumer version I built my original site with.

Now these things are dinosaurs.

Changing from a static site to a CMS site will improve your rankings.

Google does not find you because of the photos. Google robots and spiders do not read html,they read text.

According to the robots the photos are part of a blank white page

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Google does not find you because of the photos. Google robots and spiders do not read html,they read text.

According to the robots the photos are part of a blank white page

Most pictures are labeled so I guess google finds that text. confused

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission