2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2028159 02/06/13 03:54 PM
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Are they the future? Some sound terrible on account of their small power output, etc. But that need not be the case; indeed, it isn`t always. The specification level is high for their price.

There are comprehensive massive looking CVP Yamahas going for a song on ebay; nobody wants `em. . . the more I look at these compact pianos, the more I like them . . .

I might even bite . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 02/06/13 03:54 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
can you post a pic of what type of piano do you mean?

Casio Privia PX-150

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Like a PX-780?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws
Are they the future?

No they are a total waste of money like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Guess that`s me told . . .

"[Linked Image]"
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/key...d-f110pe-digital-piano-in-polished-ebony

Dunno how to post pictures here . . . Can`t even get me avatar on!

"[Linked Image]"
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
... like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

...and yet there is a successful market for 'furniture' style DP's. Do you also classify these as consoles? Many people don't want an ugly slab, on an equally ugly stand, with equally ugly speakers in the living room. I know there are aesthetic exceptions, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try convincing the (female) 'homemaker'.

B
B
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
... like all console DP's. Your paying a lot of money for some crappy fake wood cabinet and $20 speakers.

...and yet there is a successful market for 'furniture' style DP's. Do you also classify these as consoles? Many people don't want an ugly slab, on an equally ugly stand, with equally ugly speakers in the living room. I know there are aesthetic exceptions, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but try convincing the (female) 'homemaker'.

I'm lucky that I don't live with a 'homemaker' (female or otherwise grin), so I never have to bother with aesthetics. Even so, a black slab on a black stand is still something of a leap of faith for one used to 'real' pianos. But the thought of paying an extra £1000 (or whatever) for a cabinet full of empty air and speakers that I'll never be able to use is too much to bear.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Call me vain, but the form factor and aesthetics was an important factor in choosing my DP, as long as function wasn't compromised. My CA95 has great speakers that I don't feel the need for an additional monitor... and I can leave it out in the living room. If I had a slab with wires everywhere and connected to external speakers, I would have to leave it in my study and I'd feel like I had to run off to my room to hide every time I played.
Here in the living room, I can play for family and friends, and be the target of my crazy cat who likes to jump up on my lap and try to attack my hands every time I play.

That is worth the extra cost to me. Now if only the CS10 was available when I purchased this piano... *sigh*

Yamaha C6F
Kawai CA95
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

If you want a big lump of pretty wood buy a real piano ... console DP's (ie: Furniture style as you call them) are a complete rip off. you pay thousands extra for fake stuff and terrible speakers.
I don't find keyboards ugly, or speakers ugly in fact some of the most beautiful things in the world to me are keyboards and I wouldn't marry anyone who did find them ugly.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
There's nothing wrong with getting a slim setup with a closing lid that fits in with the furniture. Not everyone wants a Nord planted in the middle of the living room on an X-stand with wires everywhere!

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
People do want good looking furniture in their homes even if it is MDF veneered. I think they looked better years ago.

Damit, I cant get a picture to show . . .

Last edited by peterws; 02/07/13 04:35 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
it looks pretty good to me

[Linked Image]

Last edited by adak; 02/07/13 03:48 AM.

Casio Privia PX-150

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
... console DP's (ie: Furniture style as you call them) are a complete rip off. you pay thousands extra for fake stuff and terrible speakers.
I don't find keyboards ugly, or speakers ugly in fact some of the most beautiful things in the world to me are keyboards and I wouldn't marry anyone who did find them ugly.

Well I'm not here to defend consoles, but can you justify it with examples where the console version of a slab is thousands extra? In the UK the LX15 and CS9 were perhaps approaching that much more than their slab equivalent, but you pay for the 'design' of the cabinet and it's pretty good. I do agree that speakers and sound system could be better, but Kawai's introduction of a soundboard is interesting, and good speakers with a slab is difficult to get right, as shown by so many threads on this subject.

M
M
Are mid-range console speakers that bad? Ex - speakers on Roland HP 503/505, Yamaha CLP 440/470, Kawai CN34/CN43 etc..

M
M
My cn34 costs the same as a es7 with stand and pedals. So where is your point? And I wanted a piano that looks like as piano. Why can't some people in this forum accept that taste differs and looks sometimes matter.

And for real, a slab with a stand, lose pedal and even monitors in a living room looks awful.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MVshabeer2
Are mid-range console speakers that bad? Ex - speakers on Roland HP 503/505, Yamaha CLP 440/470, Kawai CN34/CN43 etc..

No but they aren't worth the thousands extra

M
M
But according to this thread, Simple things like music stand can make difference in the sound.
So I believe console pianos will have their own ambiance compared to exact slab

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...Digital%20Grand%20stand.html#Post1759612

Originally Posted by CMac
Originally Posted by knotty
How does it sound?

Well, kinda like a piano I guess;)

The biggest difference I notice over playing with headphones on is the ambience that the cabinet brings to the sound. Listening with headphones on is akin to placing your head in the body of the piano a few inches above the strings. That is where the sound was recorded from but that is not the sound that we expect to hear when seated at the instrument. What we hear when playing a grand piano is significantly more complex than that. In my opinion to get a digital piano to sound more like a piano we really need to have either a second sample set that is recorded at the piano bench, model that location, or have a piano cabinet added to it;) In times past I never really noticed the change in a piano's sound when I moved the music rest forward two inches, but I sure notice it now. The difference between having the lid closed and on the first stick open is striking. I find myself opening and closing the lid not so much to tame the volume of the sound but rather to suit the mood that I feel when playing. I had no idea that I was going to get this when the project started. I am still modifying the equalization of the setup and probably will be for a few weeks yet. I find that the tonality of the sound changes so much as the different variables change. With the lid down the sound comes from the cabinet itself but more from bouncing off the floor. Flip over the top lid and the sound is now coming up from the top more. Seeing as how I can change the volume so easily it basically comes down to how I want the piano to sound when in that configuration. So before I do a youtube video I want to play with the eq a bit more until I am convinced that I have the sound I want. I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I made sense.

Last edited by MVshabeer2; 02/07/13 08:02 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MVshabeer2
But according to this thread, Simple things like music stand can make difference in the sound.
So I believe console pianos will have their own ambiance compared to exact slab

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...Digital%20Grand%20stand.html#Post1759612

Originally Posted by CMac
[quote=knotty]How does it sound?

Well, kinda like a piano I guess;)

The biggest difference I notice over playing with headphones on is the ambience that the cabinet brings to the sound. Listening with headphones on is akin to placing your head in the body of the piano a few inches above the strings. That is where the sound was recorded from but that is not the sound that we expect to hear when seated at the instrument. What we hear when playing a grand piano is significantly more complex than that. In my opinion to get a digital piano to sound more like a piano we really need to have either a second sample set that is recorded at the piano bench, model that location, or have a piano cabinet added to it;) In times past I never really noticed the change in a piano's sound when I moved the music rest forward two inches, but I sure notice it now. The difference between having the lid closed and on the first stick open is striking. I find myself opening and closing the lid not so much to tame the volume of the sound but rather to suit the mood that I feel when playing. I had no idea that I was going to get this when the project started. I am still modifying the equalization of the setup and probably will be for a few weeks yet. I find that the tonality of the sound changes so much as the different variables change. With the lid down the sound comes from the cabinet itself but more from bouncing off the floor. Flip over the top lid and the sound is now coming up from the top more. Seeing as how I can change the volume so easily it basically comes down to how I want the piano to sound when in that configuration. So before I do a youtube video I want to play with the eq a bit more until I am convinced that I have the sound I want. I don't know if I answered your question but I hope I made sense.

[/

If you think moving a music rest makes a difference go ahead .... Sounds like bull$hit to me
Sound is going to be different based on room and direction you will get the same effect bouncing a monitor speaker off the floor ceiling or opening or closing your lid in piano designer software. A few high end consoles put in nice sound (Kawai, Yamaha 480's etc) but its nothing you couldn't do far better with for 1/3 the cost by yourself. Your paying $2-3k extra for a look ... I'd think that was better spent on a acoustic or a semi console such as a ES7 or FP7F with the matching stands and pedal which look fine in a living room. I can't understand people paying for a look that's fake ... If you want the look get the real thing.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
"I can't understand people paying for a look that's fake ... If you want the look get the real thing."

Some digitals look a treat and are designed to appeal strongly. Others try to emulate a funky grand, and miss it; but that`s only my opinion. But if ya buy a slab on Ebay - it may have had more than a little use! Take a look at this aged beauty

http://www.muabanorgan.com/uploads/shop/pic/1306636695.nv.jpg

Last edited by peterws; 02/07/13 12:31 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission