2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Norge Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The ebony finish on my 25 year old Baldwin Baby grand has been damaged by a leaky skylight. The piano is in great shape otherwise, and I have a bid to have it restored for $6700. Does that seem reasonable? Or is that more than the piano is worth.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It depends on where you are. I would get another bid. Is this covered by insurance? If so, do they have any suggestions.

Semipro Tech
Online Content
I think you should ask yourself what piano you could get for whatever the refinishing cost is. If you prefer your Baldwin then it makes sense to refinish the Baldwin.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Having been involved in many repairs caused by water damage, I think you are lucky that the piano needs only simple refinishing. In fact, I would seek a piano technician that also does refinishing for a second opinion, particularly if you are dealing with insurance. Once you settle a claim it is difficult to obtain more compensation if something turns up later.

Would you like a recommendation?

Good luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Cabinet repairs can be done by furniture repair shops as there is no special requirement to use a piano shop to complete what are essentially furniture (cabinet) repairs.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
$1000 per foot has been a ballpark number for many years. It would not surprise me if it has gone up. Water damage can be many things. If water has penetrated into the wood and the veneer on the lid is lifting, there can be real repair work needed.

JG
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply
$1000 per foot has been a ballpark number for many years. It would not surprise me if it has gone up. Water damage can be many things. If water has penetrated into the wood and the veneer on the lid is lifting, there can be real repair work needed.

$1,000 a foot has been the price for over 10 years. Due to the U.S. economy and the slower demand for piano refinishing that price has stayed constant. Even though the cost of running a shop have gone up. $1,000 a foot is for a grain filled hand rubbed finish like a factory job. Not the open grain lumpy finish I see so often.

And yes it has gone up, at least in my shop it has. We raised our price per foot 2 months ago.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Most cabinet shops who try their hand at piano finishing are ill equipped for the proper grain filling techniques, rubber button installation, and proper skills at dis-assembly. The result will be a piano that "looks" refinished. You should get someone who refinishes pianos regularly if you want it to look like new.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

$1000 per foot has been a ballpark number for many years. It would not surprise me if it has gone up.

$1,000 a foot has been the price for over 10 years. Due to the U.S. economy and the slower demand for piano refinishing that price has stayed constant. Even though the cost of running a shop have gone up. $1,000 a foot is for a grain filled hand rubbed finish like a factory job. Not the open grain lumpy finish I see so often.

The last ebony finish I did for that kind of pricing was 2002.

Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Most cabinet shops who try their hand at piano finishing are ill equipped for the proper grain filling techniques, rubber button installation, and proper skills at dis-assembly. The result will be a piano that "looks" refinished. You should get someone who refinishes pianos regularly if you want it to look like new.

Rubber desk buttons and knobs can be found in a variety of places along with instruction on how to install if required.

The same goes for finishing technique and disassembly or reassembly.

Contracting a piano shop for refinishing is no guarantee of anything as can be read in this thread.

Steinway London

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Please notice I did say "most" cabinet shops! I stand by my advice.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission