2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I know of, and have played, a fair number of terrible pianos. I think the one that takes the cake is at an apartment building owned by my grandparents, which is empty and therefore poorly heated most of the time. It hasn't been played, much less tuned, in at least ten years. As a result, it sounds predictably terrible. It also has a fair number of sticky keys.

The piano was bought for me by my other pair of grandparents when I was about six years old. I got some lessons from a nun with rheumatoid arthritis (read: terrible piano technique), and played my first tunes by ear on that piano (as I recall, the very first one was 'Te Deum'). It was probably the cheapest piano money could buy at the time, and it had had at least four previous owners. I imagine its former life was that of a honky-tonk in some smokey working class bar of the thirties.

I played on that thing for about six months before the nun with rheumatoid arthritis decided she couldn't teach anymore. Had another go at ten years old, with a teacher who didn't try very hard to challenge me, because my mother had written him a letter that said I was a child with 'limited potential'. Stopped again when she sent me to a boarding school for disabled kids a few months after that.

My final (and, probably, first 'serious') attempt at learning to play while still vaguely young enough to foster hopeless aspirations of becoming a famous pianist some day was at age fifteen. At that point, I decided that the old honky-tonk (even after a few tunings) just wouldn't do anymore. With my first summer job money, I bought a Roland digital which, in comparison to its predecessor, sounded heavenly to me. Sadly, I had to stop again at sixteen, due to several prolonged hospitalizations, and other drama in my life.

The honky-tonk was banished to the empty apartment building, where it still stands today. Its condition has only gotten worse. But it was and will always be my first piano. I have a soft spot for it somewhere in my heart.

Interestingly, I've been playing a piano of a make and model very similar to the honky-tonk's these past few days, as I went around Brussels looking for places to practice, now that I don't have a piano at home anymore. It is tuned and in reasonable condition, and doesn't sound half-bad to my ears.

With regards to the 'any acoustic sounds better than any digital' meme, though, I have to say this: I've been spoiled by my Roland RD-150, which is a 'mere' entry-level digital stage piano, but sounds way better than many other digitals I've played, and, as I discovered recently, has soured me on the sound of most acoustic uprights, even when brand-new and well-tuned. The RD-150 was sampled on a concert grand, and when I visited the piano store last week, I noticed that the jumble of sounds locked inside the cabinet of an upright just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Here's one for you aTallGuyNH:

Anyone wanna take a guess at what kind of piano this is and why it sounds so awful?

https://www.box.com/s/sogp8s33769v7380b1bn

I'm guessing that..it is at least a hundred years old, over damped and not been tuned in ages. Poor thing might have been exposed to damp as well.

But oddly....I like it as I love this Chopin impromptu- for me it brings up images of the poor and suffering of the C 19th ( probably because the first time I heard it I was reading about Victorian slums/life in those hard times etc)and the piano almost sounds like a ghost from the past ( not in a bad way either).

But then...I am probably wrong as I have recollections of you posting a before tuning and after tuning of your piano a few months ago?

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 02/07/13 11:12 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Worst pianos I've played? Seen a few poor old neglected pianos- the worst one was left in a garden ( having been "rescued" from the road) and had keys falling off, warped and cracked lid, sodden strings etc. The woman who found it thought it might be able to be repaired. laugh!!!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Worst pianos I've played? Seen a few poor old neglected pianos- the worst one was left in a garden ( having been "rescued" from the road) and had keys falling off, warped and cracked lid, sodden strings etc. The woman who found it thought it might be able to be repaired. laugh!!!

Sure, if you replace every single piece, every string, all the felt, the frame, the soundboard...

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
My worst was at the church where they have the local elections. No-name spinet with the tops of many of the black keys broken off. I tried pressing the keys that usually result in something like Porter's "Night and Day", but that's not what came out, even from the ones that worked.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Derulux

It seriously sounds exactly like one of my ex-girlfriend's pianos. Eerily, the only piece I ever remember playing on it was Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu also.

Having a heck of a time remembering what kind of piano it was. I can still picture everything about it, except, of course, the name.

Sorry I've reminded you of your ex frown
I think you'll be surprised at what it is...

I'm guessing that..it is at least a hundred years old, over damped and not been tuned in ages. Poor thing might have been exposed to damp as well.

But oddly....I like it as I love this Chopin impromptu- for me it brings up images of the poor and suffering of the C 19th ( probably because the first time I heard it I was reading about Victorian slums/life in those hard times etc)and the piano almost sounds like a ghost from the past ( not in a bad way either).

But then...I am probably wrong as I have recollections of you posting a before tuning and after tuning of your piano a few months ago?

Ha! You remembered! I posted this here because it's amazing what neglect can make a piano sound like. This is a Yamaha C3 from the early 90s. I recorded this after I had it brought home a few months ago. The first owners had never tuned the thing, in almost 20 years of ownership. When I played it at their house, they were sitting around listening as if it sounded good! I was trying to ignore the sound and imagine what it would sound like when tuned and regulated. And oh BOY, is it lovely now laugh

Moral of the story: take care of your piano! A good piano that's neglected will sound awful, just like this one did.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
This is a Yamaha C3 from the early 90s. I recorded this after I had it brought home a few months ago. The first owners had never tuned the thing, in almost 20 years of ownership. When I played it at their house, they were sitting around listening as if it sounded good! I was trying to ignore the sound and imagine what it would sound like when tuned and regulated. And oh BOY, is it lovely now laugh

Moral of the story: take care of your piano! A good piano that's neglected will sound awful, just like this one did.

Wow... I never would have guessed that this was such a young piano! Can we hear an "after" for comparison?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
a ha I`ve played a few o` those in pubs wi the band; mic stuffed down the back . . .Actually that piano wouldn`t sound bad tuned up. And it`s a nice compact size; love the styling!

Worst in tune piano this side o` the pond was a Danneman . . my wife`s music teacher had one. I played it, and lied through me teeth to her face . . . it was dull and lifeless.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Sorry, Peyton, but that was funny.

Definitely... a great story, and well delivered.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
C
C
The worst "piano" I ever played was a very small electronic keyboard about 2 or 3 octaves long with smaller and closer than standard keys.

Other than that a broken sustain pedal is the most difficult thing for me to adjust to on bad pianos.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Great story, Peyton! Life can be a sharp poke in the eye. Perhaps, you should have hung in there a bit longer. Get rid of Wayne, find a decent piano, and I am sure things would have turned out better. But, then again maybe not. Who knows?

At least you have this great story.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
After two weeks on the John Muir Trail we pulled into Red's Meadow near Mammoth Lakes, Calif. We were really looking forward to a beer and hamburgers at the diner.

We walked in, and in a corner was an old upright. It had seen better days. The ivory keys were blackened and grimy, undoubtedly from that big fire 30 years ago. It was probably last tuned when it was delivered, possibly in the '30s judging from the sheet music on the desk.

Let's just say it was a little rough.

Hey! I heard that piano, but didn't play it as I was passing through Red's Meadow on my Pacific Crest Trail trek. I don't recall it sounding that bad, so it must get at least some attention.

There are a few pianos in the practice rooms at my university that are terrible. The worst have the lower few octaves that continue to sustain after playing the keys, and I'm sure all of them have spit on the keys from the other wind instrumentalists playing over them.

And, this is OT, but does anyone else think that acoustics sound weird after playing a lot on a digital? This Christmas break I played on my dad's digital piano for a couple weeks. And then the first 10 minutes or so that I resumed playing on an acoustic piano I thought there was a lot of extra resonance/noise coming from the piano. After those first few minutes I didn't notice it anymore and kind of thought my my brain started filtering out those extra sounds.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood
Great story, Peyton! Life can be a sharp poke in the eye. Perhaps, you should have hung in there a bit longer. Get rid of Wayne, find a decent piano, and I am sure things would have turned out better. But, then again maybe not. Who knows?

At least you have this great story.

smile

I heard a quote once that I like. "God made man because he likes a good story." If that's true He sure gets his share....

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, I guess it depends how you look at it. If you have no piano to play, you have nothing. If the only piano you have to play has missing keys, out of tune, then you make due with what you have.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
A certain establishment in downtown New Orleans had a smaller grand sitting outside in November-December a year back, and they had it painted with one of their logos. It sounded atrocious. I passed it every day on my way to and from work, and it made me so sad that they would be so mean to that poor piano.
They were also trying to promote an upscale event they were holding, and it gave me insight about that company's appearances and their actual reality grin

Last edited by AimeeO; 02/09/13 02:44 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

Sure, if you replace every single piece, every string, all the felt, the frame, the soundboard...

Indeed Derulux- she is an eccentric, bit spacey artist who likes to rescue old pianos in the hope they can just be "tuned" and work again. I took a piano tech to meet her- to give her the sad news- she in fact had 2 of them- at least one was in an old coach house and not in the garden! I think she knew the one in the garden had had it but the one in the garage she still had hopes for. We told her to use it as an art installation. It's sad when pianos come to the end of their lives.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
A certain establishment in downtown New Orleans had a smaller grand sitting outside in November-December a year back, and they had it painted with one of their logos. It sounded atrocious. I passed it every day on my way to and from work, and it made me so sad that they would be so mean to that poor piano.
They were also trying to promote an upscale event they were holding, and it gave me insight about that company's appearances and their actual reality grin

Pianos should be cared for!

In my Winter Recital, I had to play in a electric piano whose support was not very good and the whole piano shook :S It was horrible and to make the things worse I was super nervous =/

Working on:

Am Abend - Hofmann

"Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong. "
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ha! You remembered! I posted this here because it's amazing what neglect can make a piano sound like. This is a Yamaha C3 from the early 90s. I recorded this after I had it brought home a few months ago. The first owners had never tuned the thing, in almost 20 years of ownership. When I played it at their house, they were sitting around listening as if it sounded good! I was trying to ignore the sound and imagine what it would sound like when tuned and regulated. And oh BOY, is it lovely now laugh

Yes I do- I remember you posted a link to playing your piano after tuning- cannot remember where the post is- can you point me to it?

Interesting how it sounded very old even though it isn't!

I'm glad it has a happy home with you!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

I'm guessing this will not take off and become a wildly popular thread on the order of AOTW, Rostoky's, and so on. However, I'm hoping it will be a fun counterpoint to all the "I happened to spot a Fazioli at the piano store the other day..." and "there's this great Bösendorfer at work that I play on my lunch hour..." stories that make me green with envy! sick

Please post if you have any war stories, or even better, video or audio evidence!!

Below isn't the worst one I've ever played, it just happens to be the only one for which I have video, because it's mine. Listen for my daughter's reaction in the middle:

[video:youtube]dR6gezYWBXs[/video]

I have access to two other truly hideous pianos, I might take videos of those too -- just for yucks. On mine, at least the keys are all intact and the action is OK. The keys are sticking much more lately vs. when this recording was made in mid-December, but it's fine in warmer weather for some reason.

I hope piano keeps its tuning and settles in!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission