2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Yamaha publishes several Disklavier titles of hers, including "Sara Buechner plays Rhapsody in Blue."

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A great read! smile Thanks for bring it to my (our) attention...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great article. Thanks

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I heard her play in NYC around 15 years ago. She played two concerti(Bach d minor and ?)with the Jupiter Symphony in the church near Lincoln Center where that orchestra used to have a regular concert series. The concert was excellent.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While the transgender question may be an interesting social phenomenon, does it have - and should it have - any bearing on the quality and judgment of the performance?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
OP Offline
S
No, but it is an interesting perspective to start and reinvigorate a concert career.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
While the transgender question may be an interesting social phenomenon, does it have - and should it have - any bearing on the quality and judgment of the performance?

Regards,

No of course it shouldn't, that's the point.

The best answer is probably just no, but I wonder from sort of a reverse view: How her performing in earlier years might have been adversely affected by the ongoing personal conflict.

I wasn't aware of this until just now, when I noticed the article in the Times. But I had read a lot about 'David' in Joseph Horowitz's book "The Ivory Trade," about the Cliburn competitions. David was in that competition a couple of times, and while I don't remember details, he was regarded as a possible winner, especially when he returned for his second try, but had a very disappointing result, not even making it past the 1st round. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but this was one of the outcomes that seemed to jump out from the book -- it's the only such thing from the entire book that stuck in my mind in such a way -- and I find it natural to at least wonder. I'll find it interesting to go back and re-read about it.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Ideally, no. But the only times you can be sure that judgment of a performance is 100% unbiased by knowledge of the gender if the performer is when the listener doesn't know the identity or gender of the performer at all. Which doesn't happen very often.

It is interesting that Buechner seems to assume that the only reason she doesn't have a bigger career going in the US is because of the gender change. I think that's an oversimplification of cause and effect. The careers of many top-notch musicians in the US never quite take off in the way you would think they should, without gender changes being involved. The gender change can't be ignored as a factor, but I think it's also a mistake to see it as the only factor.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Interesting story. I must admit I'm not sure yet what to think of the transgender issue - my simplistic view is, since nowadays a man can live like a woman and a woman can live like a man in most parts of the world, and most people are free to express their feminine and masculine parts as they like, why go so far as to have surgery to adhere to a stereotypic image of male and female? I'm a woman but nobody ever objected to me doing "boy" things or even having girlfriends and now a wife. But what do I know? I've been lucky. We all picture ourselves in some way and struggle to make that image come true one way or the other. I guess Ms. Buechner saw herself as a fine lady with a string of pearls, and here she is.

A
A
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Interesting story. I must admit I'm not sure yet what to think of the transgender issue - my simplistic view is, since nowadays a man can live like a woman and a woman can live like a man in most parts of the world, and most people are free to express their feminine and masculine parts as they like, why go so far as to have surgery to adhere to a stereotypic image of male and female? I'm a woman but nobody ever objected to me doing "boy" things or even having girlfriends and now a wife. But what do I know? I've been lucky. We all picture ourselves in some way and struggle to make that image come true one way or the other. I guess Ms. Buechner saw herself as a fine lady with a string of pearls, and here she is.

I think you misunderstand what it means to be transgender, and it's a common misconception. It has nothing to do with "boy" things or what your sexual preference is. Like many trans-identified people, Ms Buchner was and has always been attracted to women, even when she was a man. Trans people typically identify with the opposite gender even before the age at which it becomes a self-determined cognitive function, i.e. young trans- boys may know they are anatomically male, yet enter women's restrooms because they self-identify as little girls, without yet understanding that their anatomical equipment actually makes them boys. I don't think Ms Buechner saw herself as a fine lady with a string of pearls, just as a regular person who is now thrilled and relieved that she doesn't wake up every morning in the wrong body.

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
F
F
Wow...I was just listening to Buechner's recording of the Bach-Busoni Goldberg Variations the other day...had no idea he had gone through this. I knew someone who went through it...it's not for the faint of heart and require incredible commitment.

Yama B3
Originally Posted by Fugue14
....the Bach-Busoni Goldberg Variations....

Yukki pooh! grin

Nothing about Buechner, only about the piece.
I don't know it, and I think I'm glad. ha

I've played Bach-Busoni and I like Bach-Busoni (provided of course that I'm permitted to thin it out a bit) grin but I can't think of a piece that I'd less rather have a Busoni version of than the Goldberg Variations.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The career of anyone is based on their ability, of course, and their presentation. Each person is unique for better or for worse.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Interesting article. I have to say that Ms. Buechner was quick to blame every obstacle in her life on discrimination, and I'm not convinced that's the case. For example, I suspect that her being turned down on the co-op sale had nothing at all to do with her being transgender and everything to do with her being a concert pianist, and the long hours of often tedious (scales, etc.) piano playing that it would involve.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
At the very least, being able to play mixed doubles with yourself would set Buechner apart from just about all other tennis playing concert pianists.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Originally Posted by Monica K.
....I suspect that her being turned down on the co-op sale had nothing at all to do with her being transgender and everything to do with her being a concert pianist, and the long hours of often tedious (scales, etc.) piano playing that it would involve.

Yes.
I lived in a coop where a very well-known pianist was turned down because some neighbors were worried about the "noise" -- and in that case it was odd because the apartment was extremely and meticulously soundproofed by the current owners.

BTW, I did look back into the book I mentioned in which 'David' figured prominently. It was very interesting to view it in retrospect. And for what it's worth she had some history of putting blame where it probably didn't belong, like blaming the breakup of his marriage somewhat on the Cliburn competition. I don't particularly blame her for maybe seeing blame differently than how it is, because for sure there must be a lot of things on which she has been mistreated and screwed, especially just on the basic struggle that she was born with, but yes, those things shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I don't feel it's altogether wrong of her to blame anything on transgenderism; she has good reason to be vehemently and vindictively accusative of the hand she was dealt...um...it doesn't mean she's correct, but I can understand how spite might cloud her judgement and...as such, who can really blame her?

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Man........I'm confused enough as it is.

Do or do not. There is no try.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission