2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti

[quote=btb]In my book the Major scale is
TTtTTTt (totalling 6T)
and the minor scale
TtTTTTt (totalling 6T)

Would that TtTTTTt pattern of the minor scale be an exact reverse if played descending (tTTTTtT)?

Yes, it would be, but by convention we always discuss a scale in its ascending form when discussing intervals. That avoids a lot of confusion.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keystring

[quote=btb]In my book the Major scale is
TTtTTTt (totalling 6T)
and the minor scale
TtTTTTt (totalling 6T)

Would that TtTTTTt pattern of the minor scale be an exact reverse if played descending (tTTTTtT)?

Yes, it would be, but by convention we always discuss a scale in its ascending form when discussing intervals. That avoids a lot of confusion.

. . . unless, of course, that "scale" in question happens to be melodic minor.

Sorry KeyString, I am waiting for the other big fish to bite on this one. He's probably sleeping right now, so we'll give it a few more hours.

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
Why are we even talking about modes? They have no relevance to the OP's question.

The forms of the minor scale do, but I fear we're making things far more complicated than they really are. It's this simple:

Major is major. It's like vanilla. That's it. Major. Vanilla.

Minor is different. It's like chocolate. There's "natural" chocolate, but, like minor, nobody really uses "natural" chocolate. It doesn't become all that useful or tasty until you process it.

So we have two ways of processing minor. One way is to raise the 7th, which works really well in 18th and 19th century styles where things like dominant chords and leading tones are important. Another way is to raise 6 and 7 ascending, which can help smooth out melodies.

For the sake of argument, let's call harmonic minor dark chocolate and melodic minor milk chocolate. That doesn't mean that other kinds of chocolate don't exist and that dark and milk chocolate can't live together in the same piece. It happens all the time - we combine chocolates (minors!) according to taste and style.

When people get confused about music theory, it's usually because they want an answer to the question "which kind of minor is this piece in?" But that's like asking "which kind of chocolate is in this cookie?" Not all cookies are 100% milk or 100% dark chocolate. (I myself mix the two in chocolate chip cookies, it's yummy!) And don't forget about white chocolate!

Now...this isn't music theory's fault. (And it's not cocoa's fault.) That's just how life is. Music usually involves a combination of sounds, just as food involves a combination of flavors. Nobody gets bent out of shape because a recipe calls for dark chocolate *and* milk, so why should we get bent out of shape when a piece contains leading tones and flattened sevenths?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Well, the answer is already there. You DON'T discuss intervals descending - period.

However, btb's proposed intervals for minor are only true for one kind of minor, while the minor scale fluctuates for the 6th and 7th, as we all know. Going by btb's description, he is describing the melodic minor.

A(T)B(t)C(T)D(T)E(T)F#(T)G#(t)A

I see that you are fishing for the descending melodic minor, which we are taught in lessons to play in the form of the natural minor. Actual compositions don't necessarily follow that pattern, but we're still taught it that way.

So you want to see (read backward of course)

A(T)B(t)C(T)D(T)E(t)F(T)G(T)A

Btw, I tend to think of intervals in scales like one sees the holes in a fence between the slats marking the distance between the slats. There is a delightful German nonsense poem about the Gartenzaun mit Zwischenraum, (The garden fence with "in-between-spaces" between the slats), and the poet proposes building a house out of the Zwischenraum. In the same way an interval is a thing that isn't. It is Zwischenraum. laugh (ducks and hides)

Originally Posted by Kreisler
Why are we even talking about modes? They have no relevance to the OP's question....

I don't know either. grin

It started because I was asked what "natural minor" was called in my theory courses, I said "Aeolian mode" (when it was called anything at all, which it usually wasn't), and then began this series of digressions and tangents.

Meanwhile, as far as I'm concerned we still don't really know what Lucy was asking, or whether she's gotten anything from any of this. I would have wanted to get some clarification from her before trying to get into anything at all.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Kreisler, I thought you had already answered the initial question. smile

I was going to respond but the original question wasn't entirely clear ... and I'm really glad I didn't.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yeah, Lo Presti and I pretty much had it covered, though given the OP's inexact terminology, there was a bit of guesswork.

It's always interesting to see how these discussions go. Theory's one of those odd subjects that's very difficult to treat. It's very rigorous, but not really, and only sometimes. And there are multiple right and wrong answers with several dividing lines between the two that tend to be either clear or not. And the language, perspective and background of the author and reader adds a lens that further obfuscates the lack of clarity. And that's in the US. Add Europe and Canada into the mix and.... laugh

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Kreisler, I thought you had already answered the initial question. smile

I was going to respond but the original wasn't entirely clear ... and I'm really glad I didn't.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Lucy_Knell
When substituting the viib for V7 in minor keys
I have noticed that the bass note is often flattened
making it a major VIIb {the leading note is not
raised a semitone}. This I can comprehend because
in a minor key approaching a cadence the V major is
used not the v minor { in viib7 the 7th
[6th of the scales] is still raised}. Have I got
this all correct? Thanks

I think I finally got Lucy's question.

Take C minor.
She's talking about the bVII -- i.e. we have not raised Bb of the signature to Bnat (which we can do and often do) so we don't have a Bdim --- we have Bb which is a major chord.

Then she is asking about the "7th" in a bVII7 (Bb7) and she is asking whether the 7th (which is the 6th of the scale) is raised.

Ok, in Cm, the 6th note is Ab. Bb7 = BbDFAb. Lucy is asking whether the Ab that we find in the key of Cm is raised. Well, with a raised Ab, we'd get Bb(maj7). If we want a Bb7, then the Ab stays as it is, to answer that question directly.

Now going on, Lucy is asking in the context of a cadence. A cadence concludes a phrase and/or brings the music to some tonality. Thus we have V-I, V7-I, and sometimes viio-I (the viio can be seen as the top part of a V7, or it can be seen as having leading note and other significant notes that like to move to the tonic). The viio-I is usually written in first inversion, especially in minor (viio6-Im). And here we would have had a raised B for BDF to Cm. For a seventh I guess we'd have BDFAb = Bdim7. I could see Bdim7 moving to Cm.

Back to Lucy's Bb. I suppose we could move from Bb to Cm. But would that be a cadence? Is the movement strong enough to be felt as a cadence? (Real question - not rhetorical).

The Bb7 however (bII7) is the V7 of the relative major - key of Eb major. So it would be a perfect way of transitioning from a minor key (C minor) to a major key (Eb major). Meanwhile, I can move from Bb7 to Cm but I have no idea whether that is a good move. My "harmonic ear" is not that developed.

Last edited by keystring; 02/06/13 05:01 PM.
Keystring: Why don't we wait until Lucy herself tells us what she meant. Otherwise we're just guessing, and it ain't worth it.

Originally Posted by Kreisler
Yeah, Lo Presti and I pretty much had it covered, though given the OP's inexact terminology, there was a bit of guesswork.

Yes, there was -- so how can you feel you had anything covered?

It's always interesting to see how these discussions go....

What I find most interesting is how people felt they could answer a question without being sure what it was.

Wouldn't you feel the best thing is to ask for clarification first? Otherwise, you're expending your brain energy for perhaps nothing. smile

I see that that doesn't bother you much, nor some others. Me, I can't get interested in trying to answer something till I know what it is. I also think it's often even more helpful to the questioner him/herself to let them know they need to clarify what they're talking about than to answer their question, because helps them with the clarity of their thought and expression. I think that's usually way more important than knowing the answer to a particular thing.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Keystring: Why don't we wait until Lucy herself tells us what she meant. Otherwise we're just guessing, and it ain't worth it.

The point was to parse it out, so that she could tell us if this is what she meant. When you don't have enough formal theory, you also don't have the vocabulary, which puts you into a difficult position. Sometimes when it is reworded it's helpful.

Besides, ** I ** also asked questions and I am interested in thoughts on them.

....When you don't have enough formal theory, you also don't have the vocabulary, which puts you into a difficult position....

Not really. As I suggested to her in an earlier post, it might well be that all she'd need to do would be to forget about the terminology and just tell us the notes she's talking about.

....Besides, ** I ** also asked questions and I am interested in thoughts on them.

Fine, and maybe some people will want to get into those, but it would take wading through a post (i.e. yours) that tries at length to clarify the totally unclear question of someone who seems not to be here and not available to help with it, before getting to the part where you ask your questions. Maybe some people will want to do that. I wouldn't (didn't even get to that part of your post) because of what I've said -- that it's a waste of time (and brain cells) grin to give any attention to trying to guess anything about her question. I suspect some others would feel that way too.

So, why take all this time with these posts? Because talking like this doesn't require brain cells. ha
This is just talking. smile

The beauty of forums is that there are so many people out there who will potentially read these posts, all of them different from one another. So what is hard or heavy "wading" for one, might not be so for another. For example, you found Ed Lopresti's summary of minor scales to be hard reading even for someone with advanced theory. It was familiar territory for me, and I think I got the gist of it in maybe 30 seconds, and then another minute just to make sure. In the same way, my own post with its questions on the bottom may just be up someone's alley. Different strokes for different folks, and if you don't post you'll never know. So I did.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
There is a delightful German nonsense poem about the Gartenzaun mit Zwischenraum, (The garden fence with "in-between-spaces" between the slats), and the poet proposes building a house out of the Zwischenraum.

I love the phrase - well, butchering it, attempting to pronounce - and I love the concept!

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
The beauty of forums is that there are so many people out there who will potentially read these posts, all of them different from one another. So what is hard or heavy "wading" for one, might not be so for another. For example, you found Ed Lopresti's summary of minor scales to be hard reading even for someone with advanced theory. It was familiar territory for me, and I think I got the gist of it in maybe 30 seconds, and then another minute just to make sure. In the same way, my own post with its questions on the bottom may just be up someone's alley. Different strokes for different folks, and if you don't post you'll never know. So I did.

We may see some things a little differently but I give this a big thumb up. thumb

btb #2028488 02/07/13 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by btb
Thanks MarkH for the explanation homing in on the Ionian mode for the Major scale ... of which I was aware ... them thar Greeks apparently settled on a fixed arrangement of the modal notes ... and depending on which mountainous group you twanged your lyre ...

Spartans TTtTTTt
Phygians tTTTtTT
Lydians TTTTtTt
M/lydian TTtTTTt
Aeolian TTtTtTT
Ionian TTtTTTt

Hope I got all the twangs right ... wonder if the Dorian Spartans imposed their modal notes on the Athenian Greeks when they hammered Pythagoras and Co.

Perhaps they needed to wait till the arrival of the mighty Macedonian king Alexander the Great in 323 BC.

How remarkable! I stay up late to study for an exam on the history of Roman art and architecture in relation to political and military history, and here I find this! What a coincidence!

Originally Posted by AldenH
How remarkable! I stay up late to study for an exam on the history of Roman art and architecture in relation to political and military history, and here I find this! What a coincidence!

Yeah -- but better not take any answers from here! ha

btb #2028511 02/07/13 03:50 AM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by btb

Feel much better now having lit a fuse.

In other words, you trolled...

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think Lucy got scared away...

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by btb

Feel much better now having lit a fuse.

In other words, you trolled...

Well, I've never seen a wet fuse ignite, so it was rather ineffective trolling.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As long as this thread is still alive ... and those old Greek modes are being discussed, I'll pass on a little memory trick I used to memorize those modes.

If we use a major scale as the starting point and ascend we have ...

I = Ionian
D = Dorian
P = Phrygian
L = Lydian
M = Mixolodian
A = Aeolian
L = Locrian

I don't play loud music at lunch.

... or I dig pot, leave me alone. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission