2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Several U.S. institutions — most notably Yale and New York University — are in the process of opening Asian campuses. But Juilliard is the first major U.S. performing arts school to take the leap.

The idea is to open a facility in Yujiapu, a planned financial district under construction in Tianjin, a city outside Beijing...

The Chinese campus will serve as the only non-U.S. location for students who wish to audition for the main Juilliard in New York.

“Students from Asian countries will not have to fly over to New York for live auditions anymore,” said Katy Ho, a fourth-year viola performance major who has performed at Carnegie Hall.

“Everyone will now get an equal opportunity to enter Juilliard,” said Ms. Ho, a Macau native who spoke at the Asia Society event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/world/asia/29iht-educside28.html

S
S
Thank you so much for this information. Sandra M

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
So, is it to be a site where one may AUDITION for admittance to Julliard, or a campus where one may receive a Julliard-style education?

[EDIT]: Never mind - I read the Times' article.

Ed

Last edited by LoPresti; 02/04/13 10:23 PM.

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Sandra M

You're welcome!

I think that it is quite a significant piece of news.
Top conservatories should be aggressively pursuing the world's best, most motivated students rather than passively waiting for them to show up at the door, particularly from countries that have become increasingly xenophobic or anti-immigration.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by theJourney

You're welcome!

Top conservatories should be aggressively pursuing the world's best, most motivated students rather than passively waiting for them to show up at the door, particularly from countries that have become increasingly xenophobic or anti-immigration.

Or maybe the most motivated and talented students should be agressively pursuing schools that don't try to make them all play THE SAME.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by izaldu

You're welcome!

Or maybe the most motivated and talented students should be agressively pursuing schools that don't try to make them all play THE SAME.

Touche.

On the other hand, given that the chances of becoming a successful concert pianist are somewhat more worse than being struck by lightning twice each time while collecting your million dollar lotto winnings, it is understandable that parents and young talents try to increase their chances by associating with a " name brand " that also opens up elite social networks.

I would love to see some European conservatories take the same approach as Julliard is doing. It don't see it happening anytime soon. They aren't as aggressively commercial.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by izaldu

You're welcome!

My sentiments exactly.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

You're welcome!

It didn't take you long to take another stab at the U.S.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

You're welcome!

It didn't take you long to take another stab at the U.S.

I know I am butting in, but I am curious how that is a stab at the U.S. I thought it might have been reference to other countries, who as they continue to develop economically wish to keep their brilliant minds to produce at home.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What I find interesting is that Juilliard is seeing itself as a brand, not (necessarily) an experience or a community.

Part of Juilliard (and a big part, I think), has always been that it's in NYC, the center of the artistic universe. It will be interesting to see what aspects of the Juilliard experience are portable and what parts are not. (And of course, the faculty are already portable and go to China quite often.)

Also, a big part of Juilliard is that in addition to music, it also has world-class dance and drama programs. I didn't see any mention of those in the NYT article.

A lot of interesting questions remain to be answered. What exactly will the Chinese institute offer? What kinds of communication and shared resources will it have with NYC and Lincoln Center? To what extent will the institute rely on Asian faculty? Western faculty? Resident/guest faculty? How will the rest of the world respond? Will a Juilliard-China pedigree carry the same weight as Juilliard-NYC? Will it strive to copy Juilliard-NYC's mission, or will it respond to the unique artistic and economic demands of the Asian community?

Regardless, it's nice to see established institutions branching out and trying things. Whether it succeeds or fails, I think we'll learn an awful lot about the performing arts in our increasingly global community.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Kreisler,

While yours is a VERY INTERESTING observation about Juilliard considering itself a brand, it appears that I read the rest of The Times article differently. After I posted the question above, I dug into it a bit more, and it seems that the Chinese facility will be structured similar to a couple other "feeder" institutions of Juilliard's - "junior Juilliards", as it were.

The talk about bringing Juilliard to the Orient is based upon candidates' ability to AUDITION for Juilliard-proper right there in China. If accepted, they would still be coming here for their education.

That is the way I understand it.
Ed

Last edited by LoPresti; 02/06/13 12:48 PM. Reason: Spellink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Top conservatories should be aggressively pursuing the world's best, most motivated students rather than passively waiting for them to show up at the door

If these conservatories are truly "top," then why would they need to recruit students?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Top conservatories should be aggressively pursuing the world's best, most motivated students . . .

If these conservatories are truly "top," then why would they need to recruit students?

The sad truth is that virtually ALL colleges and universities are recruiting harder than ever. A few years ago, when our economy was fat, happy, and oblivious, places like Eastman and Juilliard could afford to take only the very best players and writers, and subsidize them. (Read: Scholarships)

But now the huge endowments from alumni are shriveling, and the yields on investments are no longer performing well. These conservatories need to return to getting money from TUITION. And that translates into finding students whose parents can pay the full freight. It becomes a competition not just for the top students, but for the top WEALTHY students. That requires recruiting.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jdhampton924

I know I am butting in, but I am curious how that is a stab at the U.S. I thought it might have been reference to other countries, who as they continue to develop economically wish to keep their brilliant minds to produce at home.

And what countries would you be referring to? China? China has a very open immigration policy, anyone can leave (that's not to say everyone can find a place to go). In fact, pretty much all top students in any field from China leave and go to the US. Nothing is holding them back, even if they'd like to have them stay and help out over there where they're more needed.

Last edited by trigalg693; 02/06/13 07:33 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just hope they don't open it in Beijing... sick

For the students' sake!

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by trigalg693

And what countries would you be referring to? China?

Well, comparing the approach of for example top Dutch conservatories, say Amsterdam and The Hague, to Julliard, students from abroad, when they are accepted, only pay around 1600 euro all-in for their year's tuition and lessons. As The Netherlands has become more right wing and xenophobic over the past years, increasingly questions are being raised why the Dutch taxpayer should be footing the majority of the bill for a bunch of foreign pianists to complete their training here just to leave again.

The idea of aggressively creating a commercial " brand " or recruiting top students on site in the most promising countries of the world to capture highly profitable students and funnel in hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition fees per student just doesn't even come into the equation. Which is why there is no Julliard-class conservatory in Europe, but also why not just kids with wealthy parents get to study piano and/or why there are no students graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Last edited by theJourney; 02/06/13 08:32 AM.
Originally Posted by LoPresti
But now the huge endowments from alumni are shriveling, and the yields on investments are no longer performing well. These conservatories need to return to getting money from TUITION. And that translates into finding students whose parents can pay the full freight. It becomes a competition not just for the top students, but for the top WEALTHY students. That requires recruiting.

This is unfortunately true.

In addition, schools in the US face increased competition for students. A lot of students (and their parents) have a hard time justifying a $35,000 tuition bill at Juilliard when they could go to the UMKC Conservatory (which is excellent) for $10,000. Plus, there are a lot more programs now than there were a few decades ago, and students have a lot more options. A recent article I read placed the number of pianists pursuing the DMA in 2010 at 987. In 1998, that number was 593. Over the same period, the number of academic jobs has fallen (though not as sharply as people might think.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Julliard

J U I L L I A R D

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BruceD
Julliard

J U I L L I A R D

How embarassing! Thank God someone is watching the farm. (Where's that EDIT button when I need it the most?)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693

And what countries would you be referring to? China? China has a very open immigration policy, anyone can leave (that's not to say everyone can find a place to go). In fact, pretty much all top students in any field from China leave and go to the US. Nothing is holding them back, even if they'd like to have them stay and help out over there where they're more needed.

I was not referring to any country in particular, I was just curious how that statement was some sort of Jab at the US, and that it could be read another way.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission