2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mention in another forum topic of the book on Glenn Gould's piano - "A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano" had me searching for the book.

I found a review which, in part, stated "... Gould's greatest obsession of all was for a particular piano, a Steinway concert grand known as CD318 (C, meaning for the use of Steinway Concert Artists only, and D, denoting it as the ...).

What differences exist between a "D" and a "CD"?

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Mention in another forum topic of the book on Glenn Gould's piano - "A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano" had me searching for the book.

I found a review which, in part, stated "... Gould's greatest obsession of all was for a particular piano, a Steinway concert grand known as CD318 (C, meaning for the use of Steinway Concert Artists only, and D, denoting it as the ...).

What differences exist between a "D" and a "CD"?

"CD"s start as "D"s. One of the primary customers of the S&S factory is the Concert and Artist Department in Steinway Hall. (The Basement). The C&A people take the production D and do (at least some of) the things that other high quality technicians might do to tweak the piano into top condition. Oh, yes, C&A gets to "cherry pick" the factory production, too.
So . . . presumably the pianos will be specimens that are free of significant factory defects and are judged capable of being groomed into concert-ready instruments.

As far as design or anything in the production run, there is no difference.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Wow, I guess a properly prepared S&S gets it's own designation! Seems to me they should spend the time to properly prepare all their instruments.

Just curious, there's a local Steinway D that had gold numbers on the lid. I was told that it was the D that toured with Sinatra, but was kept at Steinway when not traveling. Is that a CD?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DanS
Wow, I guess a properly prepared S&S gets it's own designation! Seems to me they should spend the time to properly prepare all their instruments.

Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping, and even if it didn't, the end result may not be ideal for the location that the piano ends up in. It would also be cost prohibitive. All in all, Steinway is doing a pretty good job right now... so good that I've needed to find other things to complain about frown

Originally Posted by DanS
Just curious, there's a local Steinway D that had gold numbers on the lid. I was told that it was the D that toured with Sinatra, but was kept at Steinway when not traveling. Is that a CD?

Presumably

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by BDB
Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping,

Funny, but Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Schimmel, Estonia, and others have no problem doing thorough prep. and then shipping their pianos all over the world. For a concert they do need some extra help, but I would hardly call their factory work pointless.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I requested my Grotrian be regulated up to concert standard before it left the factory - I was amazed at how good it was on arrival - much better than most high end pianos in dealerships which had supposedly had extensive preparation by the dealer.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
There is an interesting book which deals with this very topic.

Piano - The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand
by: James Barron
copyright: 2006
publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

The book follows a single piano through its construction and also addresses the "C" designation, for which the piano was selected.

The book is a good read.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by BDB
Doing concert level prep at any factory would be pointless because it would all get messed up during shipping,

Funny, but Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Schimmel, Estonia, and others have no problem doing thorough prep. and then shipping their pianos all over the world. For a concert they do need some extra help, but I would hardly call their factory work pointless.

I did not say that!

Semipro Tech
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
There is an interesting book which deals with this very topic.

Piano - The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand
by: James Barron
copyright: 2006
publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

The book follows a single piano through its construction and also addresses the "C" designation, for which the piano was selected.

there's also a good movie that covers the same topic along with thoughts from factory floor workers about what it means to them to work for Steinway. It also spends considerable time following several artist as they go through the selection process of the C and A stock.

"Note by Note. The Making of Steinway 1037" It's on the Netflix Streaming Service. I'm sure it can be had as a disk as well.

Another movie on Netflix Streaming is called "Pianomania" . It follows the routine of one of Steinway's european concert techs as he gets pianos ready for stage and recording. It's in german with subtitles.

Both of these were suggested to me (by Netflix) because I watched "The Pianist" with Adrien Brody.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by BDB

I said that, not BDB. And there is a difference between thorough prep and concert prep. Please don't confuse the two.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
CD Model D's have many more opportunities to experience unintended gravitational accelerations.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
A
A
I hate to chip in here, but I am on the side of the critics on this one. When I go to a Steinway dealer, I find almost nothing I like (ok, not Ds, but Bs and As) and I always get the "we'll prep it for you any way you like". Then when I hear something from Germany or Austria, i think to myself "please don't prep ANYTHING on this, keep it just the way it is!"

A new B was purchased by an institution I know well, from a renowned old dealer, and the thing was gawd-awful. But - it is a Steinway! Now, five years later, they are STILL fixing it, and it is STILL gawd-awful.

None of what I say here applies to Hamburg.

I am not alone in this - I have a friend who is a concert pianist in Germany, and when he comes here to the US to perform he usually dreads the S&Ss he gets to play on. And he owns a Hamburg B! At one prestigious venue he wanted to swap out the new D for my Bösendorfer 200!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission