2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2026213 02/03/13 08:08 AM
L
OP Offline
L
When substituting the viib for V7 in minor keys
I have noticed that the bass note is often flattened
making it a major VIIb {the leading note is not
raised a semitone}. This I can comprehend because
in a minor key approaching a cadence the V major is
used not the v minor { in viib7 the 7th
[6th of the scales] is still raised}. Have I got
this all correct? Thanks

Last edited by Lucy_Knell; 02/03/13 08:11 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What's viib?

She means bVII.

And when the leading tone is not raised, then the VII chord does not function as a substitution for the dominant. Instead, it's often a V7/III instead. (Or simply a part of a step progression.)

If vii is used as a dominant, then the leading tone has to be raised.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Lucy,

Terminology, and your use of the flat (b) sign, are getting in the way here. Adding some to Kreisler’s info:

Using the natural minor scale, the triad built on the 5th degree of the scale is minor, and the triad built on the 7th degree of the scale is major.
Example: Key of D natural minor. The v chord is A-C-E, and the VII chord is C-E-G.

If the composer is using the harmonic minor scale, with the 7th degree of the scale raised one-half step, the triad built on the 5th degree of the scale is now major, and the triad built on the (raised) 7th degree of the scale is now diminished.
Example: Key of D harmonic (sometimes melodic) minor. The V chord is A-C#-E, and the VII chord is C#-E-G.

Continuing to the rest of your question, depending on the composer’s intent, s/he may choose to make the chord built on the fifth degree of the scale a dominant seventh chord, in which case it will contain a major 3rd, a perfect 5th, and a minor 7th.
Example: Key of D minor. The V7 chord is A-C#-E-G.

The composer may also chose to use a seventh chord built upon the seventh degree of the scale. Two varieties are quite common, one based on the harmonic minor, and the other based upon the melodic minor.
Example: Key of D harmonic minor. The vii7 chord is a diminished seventh chord C#-E-G-Bb. (This is frequently used as a substitute for the dominant seventh chord.)
Example: Key of D melodic minor. The vii7 chord is a “half-diminished” seventh chord C#-E-G-B.

If it sounds complicated, that is because it is a rather thick, and sticky subject. So, while you may have the concept correct, the terminology is not quite there yet.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
Hope you don't mind my saying so, but that's a lot harder to understand than the original post. grin

I don't think it's going to help Lucy much. And BTW I had a fair amount of advanced theory and it would have taken a lot of effort for me to follow it!

Mark_C #2027220 02/05/13 01:49 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Mark,

Perhaps my post is more complex because it seeks to explain the various ways of looking at Lucy's chords. As you, yourself, indicated, the original post made little sense.

But I am always happy to learn! Maybe you would like a go at the various chords that are commonly constructed on the fifth and seventh degrees of minor scales, and why and how they differ?

Ed

Good thought, but for things like this, I just try (if anything) to address the original post, in a way that is relevant and narrow and at the level of the question. What you're suggesting is sort of writing a textbook chapter grin and I'm not highly motivated to do that. I do hope that Lucy feels she's gotten a good answer. smile

Maybe we should check about this:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Knell
When substituting the viib for V7 in minor keys
I have noticed that the bass note is often flattened
making it a major VIIb {the leading note is not
raised a semitone}. ...

Do you mean the bass note, or the root?

Say that you are in the key of C minor. The 7th degree chord could be BDF (B dim) if the Bb has been raised to B, or BbDF (Bb) if the Bb has not been raised. The B or Bb respectively are called the Root of the chord.

A chord can be inverted. When you have the diminished chord, it is frequently (always?) inverted so that you'd probably have Bdim/D (DFB). In this case the bottom note would be D. Whatever note you have at the very bottom is the Bass. So even if the chord itself is BDF, and the Root is always B, the Bass may be a different note.

So did you mean Root?

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What a load of cobblers!
Such gobbledegook deserves to be discombobulated, ground into fine chunks, and rammed down the throat of the giddy gents propogating the garbage.

No wonder children pack in their piano lessons.

Feel much better now having lit a fuse.

btb #2027345 02/05/13 10:42 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
btb,

First of all, none of us here are little kids, learning childish music. If someone quits because they got a complete explanation to one of their questions, s/he probably was never meant to play or sing.

Once we "write it down", taking it out of the realm of simple sound, we (for better or worse) enter the world of Theory. Here we must use terminology, and some universal rules (derived from sound) apply.

I invited Mark to answer the OP's question in a complete, correct, and SIMPLE way. No-Go! I invite you to do the same.

Always learning . . .
Ed

Originally Posted by LoPresti
I invited Mark to answer the OP's question in a complete, correct, and SIMPLE way....

Besides what I said in the previous post, I honestly just don't understand what is being asked, totally, at all. I have no idea what's being described.

Lucy: I think you might get better replies if you forget the terminology and just say what are the notes of the chords you're talking about. You might also need to rephrase what you're asking -- I don't know -- but first we need to understand better what you're talking about. Kreisler was pretty sure he understood, and probably he did. LoPresti was too, but I can't tell because I didn't understand his post. grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LoPresti
btb,

First of all, none of us here are little kids, learning childish music. If someone quits because they got a complete explanation to one of their questions, s/he probably was never meant to play or sing.

Once we "write it down", taking it out of the realm of simple sound, we (for better or worse) enter the world of Theory. Here we must use terminology, and some universal rules (derived from sound) apply.

I invited Mark to answer the OP's question in a complete, correct, and SIMPLE way. No-Go! I invite you to do the same.

Always learning . . .
Ed

For what it's worth, I thought your explanation was very straightforward and perfectly explained the OP's question. I think certain people (like me) prefer using an example key/scale/chord than just roman numeral notation. I like to see both laid out when someone is explaining something to do with harmony, because then you can double check to see if you are understanding the notation correctly. I understood what you were saying within the first two sentences and probably would have wrote the exact same thing.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
. . . For what it's worth, I thought your explanation was very straightforward and perfectly explained the OP's question. I think certain people (like me) prefer using an example key/scale/chord than just roman numeral notation. I like to see both laid out when someone is explaining something to do with harmony, because then you can double check to see if you are understanding the notation correctly. I understood what you were saying within the first two sentences and probably would have wrote the exact same thing.

Thank you for the vote of confidence - I appreciate it.
I, too, believe that the more light one can shed on theoretical principles, by using concrete examples, the better.

But, what has happened to Lucy?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Makes perfect sense to me what Kreisler and LoPresti said.

Originally Posted by Mark_C

I don't think it's going to help Lucy much. And BTW I had a fair amount of advanced theory and it would have taken a lot of effort for me to follow it!

Seriously? Taking one excerpt at random
Using the natural minor scale, the triad built on the 5th degree of the scale is minor, and the triad built on the 7th degree of the scale is major.
Example: Key of D natural minor. The v chord is A-C-E, and the VII chord is C-E-G.

Parsing it:
- using the natural minor scale

Having taken advanced theory, the basic theory of natural minor scales should be familiar to you

- the triad built on the 5th degree...

Let's use A natural minor as an example. The 5th degree notes are E G B

- is minor

E G B is indeed minor.

- the triad built on the 7th degree

In A natural minor, this has to be G B D

- is major

Which GBD is indeed

Followed by an example.

Which of these things set out by Ed is unclear? This is quite basic theory, as is the rest of it.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In my book the Major scale is
TTtTTTt (totalling 6T)
and the minor scale
TtTTTTt (totalling 6T)

The ONLY differences between the scales is
the 2nd degree (t) half-tone and 3rd degree T (tone)
in the minor scale.

Originally Posted by keystring
....Which of these things set out by Ed is unclear?....

I didn't say it was unclear, just that it was hard to understand. I found it formidable, and I thought Lucy most likely would too. I was approaching this all in the context of the original post, and from the gitgo it seemed to me that his post was on a totally different level -- far more complicated and more detailed than what was being asked, including that he was saying a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary for answering the question. My first difficulty with the post was right up top, with the term "natural minor," which, believe it or not, I don't really know. I'm sure it's just a thing of what vocabulary gets used in what venues, and that it's synonymous with some term that I do know, but it would have taken my looking it up to see which one. Glancing down the rest of the post, I had a similar impression that it was both above and beyond what had been asked. I couldn't help thinking that someone who could easily understand his reply wouldn't have needed to ask the question. I gather that you don't think any of this -- and I imagine that with good reason Ed will feel your impression is more meaningful than mine.

Last edited by Mark_C; 02/06/13 04:19 AM. Reason: shortening
btb #2027795 02/06/13 01:42 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by btb
TTtTTTt (totalling 6T)
and the minor scale
TtTTTTt (totalling 6T)

in the minor scale.

Interesting. Would that TtTTTTt pattern of the minor scale be an exact reverse if played descending (tTTTTtT)?

Ed

btb #2027823 02/06/13 02:52 AM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by btb
TTtTTTt (totalling 6T)
and the minor scale
TtTTTTt (totalling 6T)

in the minor scale.

Well, if that's the case you should add natural, melodic and harmonic minor scale to your book.

Last edited by etcetra; 02/06/13 02:56 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by keystring
....Which of these things set out by Ed is unclear?....
My first difficulty with the post was right up top, with the term "natural minor," which, believe it or not, I don't really know.

Hope you don't mind my saying so, but that's a lot harder to understand than the original post. grin

Not to be rude but knowing the different modes of minor scale, natural/melodic/harmonic is pretty basic theory...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_scale

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission