2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Final thought: if the WOMEN in this thread and on PW think I am wrong, if the world is a whole lot more equal and fair to both men and women than I think, I'll apologize to everyone.

I don't think a single woman said that.

There is also the lovely thing that if women respond with emotion, then everyone knows that they are irrational and emotion. Maybe the newer generation can let go (I honestly don't know) but for some of us some things are rather ingrained.

My biggest effort was to get Red Rose acknowledged, and not trivialized or swept under the rug. Her actions were professional. They should be seen as such! If she is trivialized, then everyone is.

Your side of it is appreciated, and a guy not being silent on these things is very important.

Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
What about Red Rose's specific example?

It seems to me she used her intuition ....What else can we say. The guy may have been a creep.

I see it a somewhat different angle. I think that what I am countering is a general notion that we do things based on vague feelings and instincts, the extremes of which are being described as paranoia. There are many things that are done which have been well thought out and planned. Creating a budget so that you aren't caught out, locking your door before you leave the house, giving your students a test at the start of a semester (if you do) in order to see where they are before starting to teach, asking an unknown new client for prepayment. What Red Rose described is a logical strategy, and it is one that I have seen advised. That lifts it out of the vague rhealm of feelings and speculation, which is where you and TimR were heading earlier today.

I hear you. But let's examine exactly what Red Rose said ...

Originally Posted by Red Rose
It was a guy and we emailed a couple times, and he mentioned his daughter (but he never actually told me her name - first warning sign.) But the weirdest thing was how in his emails he didn't really talk about his daughter, he just talked a bit about how he was in a band and played the drums and stuff. So, OF COURSE I was no way going to let him in my house without at least meeting him in a public place first.

First, let me say that RR's approach here seems quite sensible. But from what she said, this Starbucks approach for a first meeting is NOT her general policy. She did it in this case because she sensed something amiss.

That is why I said that these kind of experiences are hard to comment upon, beyond the usual forum "head nodding" in agreement. What lesson do I learn? Well, I learn that if I feel that a person is suspicious, based on what they say in emails or phone calls, that I should not let them into my house. OK, I think most of us knew that already.

Should all preliminary business be conducted in the local Starbucks? That to me is a more interesting question. The fact that many people feel the need to do this suggests a number of things:

1. It's a sad commentary on the state of society that women feel such risk.

Gary's shorts were in such a twist about my seeming lack of empathy for female second-class status (where on earth did he get that from what I posted, one wonders) that he did not acknowledge that I actually said that.

2. It's a serious cost in peoples' time if they do it as a general policy.

Do teachers think they learn enough in a Starbucks meeting to take a student? I doubt it. That demands a second meeting in the home to get the student into something approximating the lesson format.

But Red Rose did not say that this was her general policy. Maybe it is, but that did not come across in the post.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

There is also the lovely thing that if women respond with emotion, then everyone knows that they are irrational and emotion. Maybe the newer generation can let go (I honestly don't know) but for some of us some things are rather ingrained.

This is a very hot-button issue to me. I see men debate some of the things I believe you are touching upon as if it does not touch them, and I think there are many men who are not touched.

Now, I really am done.

M
M

But Red Rose did not say that this was her general policy. Maybe it is, but that did not come across in the post.

Who cares? She can do whatever she wants, and it doesn't have to be in her policy.

If she gets weirded out by a potential student or parent, then she has every right to make a judgment call. If the guy and daughter turned out OK, then I'm sure she would want to see the girl at her studio to give her a thorough check through.

Any guy who would begrudge a woman doing this probably isn't right for her studio anyways.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Who cares? She can do whatever she wants, and it doesn't have to be in her policy.

If she gets weirded out by a potential student or parent, then she has every right to make a judgment call. If the guy and daughter turned out OK, then I'm sure she would want to see the girl at her studio to give her a thorough check through.

Any guy who would begrudge a woman doing this probably isn't right for her studio anyways.

thumb

Please tell me where I said she can't do what she wants? Please tell me where I said that she doesn't have the right "to make a judgment call."

Please read what I wrote and stop treating people as the enemy because you presume you know their deepest attitudes. Frankly, I'm getting sick of being smeared because of other peoples' hot buttons. Your hot button doesn't give you the right to condescend or to deliberately misread.

thumb

Thank you, Gary. Another person who lacks the decency even to read what I wrote.

I was not paying that much attention to the other dialogue since I had started one just before and wanted that point to come across. But I can see that objection and its reasons which you must have missed. Your first comment was about people "tying themselves into knots", and the second was about people "wildly overestimating some forms of risk". if this was in response to what the posting teacher had just said, then it seemed to trivialize them and make them seem silly. Probably closer to the truth is that you missed that post or only half-read it. Yet I find it an important post, because it dealt with a real experience.

Going on:

First, let me say that RR's approach here seems quite sensible. But from what she said, this Starbucks approach for a first meeting is NOT her general policy. She did it in this case because she sensed something amiss.

A business policy will have precautions in place for certain circumstances. In the analogy from my present profession, most of us accept payment after rendering service and bill clients afterward, but for clients who present red flags prepayment is recommended. This is a distinction from making decisions based on "feelings" with wild over- and underestimations. Most businesses create checklists or things to watch for.

Should all preliminary business be conducted in the local Starbucks? That to me is a more interesting question.....

2. It's a serious cost in peoples' time if they do it as a general policy.

Do teachers think they learn enough in a Starbucks meeting to take a student? I doubt it. That demands a second meeting in the home to get the student into something approximating the lesson format.

I run a business where the projects I do are relatively short term, some taking a day, and others taking a few weeks at most. Teachers forge a business relationship that lasts years. One important thing that I learned in running a business is that the preliminary preparation you do has a major effect even though it doesn't bring in any money. If you land in a mess because you didn't check things out, it is costly and time consuming. So if an extra step is needed where the situation suggests it, then this is not a "cost on people's time" - more like a prudent business expense.

For the last part of your question, the piano teachers might be able to answer that. I think that a fair bit can actually be learned over a cup of coffee.

Last edited by keystring; 04/21/13 08:54 PM.
Keystring,

I'm not sure exactly what we're "debating" here. Is it, "Does RR have a good business policy?" Got me. I haven't seen it laid out as a business policy. RR didn't discuss it that way.

Is it, "can one rationalize the Starbucks approach "for occasional potential clients who rub you the wrong way over the phone" as a good formal business approach? Yeah, sure, I guess. That seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm not sure anyone in this benighted thread is pondering either point. We're getting things like, "if she feels weirded out ..." That sounds rather like a "feeling" to me. And that's not something that is easy for one person to communicate to another, which is why I said a while back that experiential posts often just get a group hug or a collective head nodding in approval. Yes, if someone feels weirded out, by all means ask to meet the weirding one in advance, over coffee. Heck, I said that was very sensible of RR. It's sensible policy for anyone.

M
M

Please tell me where I said she can't do what she wants? Please tell me where I said that she doesn't have the right "to make a judgment call."

Please read what I wrote and stop treating people as the enemy because you presume you know their deepest attitudes. Frankly, I'm getting sick of being smeared because of other peoples' hot buttons. Your hot button doesn't give you the right to condescend or to deliberately misread.

You said: "But Red Rose did not say that this was her general policy."
I said: "who cares?"

Did you mean something other than: "She should have it stated in her policy that the first meeting will be at Starbucks"?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If you read the rest of my long post to Keystring, i.e. go beyond that one sentence of mine that you quote, you will see the rest of the context. I was addressing Keystring's very specific contention that we needed to get beyond feelings. Please read all of Keystring's post, and all of my response. Keystring said, among other things,

I see it a somewhat different angle. I think that what I am countering is a general notion that we do things based on vague feelings and instincts,

I replied that RR had indeed used her instincts and feelings, appropriately so in this case. It was her instinct that caused her to behave the way she did, not a formal policy. Then you berate me for callousness? What the ...???

I said this:

That is why I said that these kind of experiences are hard to comment upon, beyond the usual forum "head nodding" in agreement. What lesson do I learn? Well, I learn that if I feel that a person is suspicious, based on what they say in emails or phone calls, that I should not let them into my house. OK, I think most of us knew that already.

How do you jump from this to me saying she ought to have a business policy before taking someone to coffee instead of to her house?

M
M
If you read the rest of my long post to Keystring, i.e. go beyond that one sentence of mine that you quote, you will see the rest of the context. I was addressing Keystring's very specific contention that we needed to get beyond feelings. Please read all of Keystring's post, and all of my response. Keystring said, among other things,

I see it a somewhat different angle. I think that what I am countering is a general notion that we do things based on vague feelings and instincts,

I replied that RR had indeed used her instincts and feelings, appropriately so in this case. It was her instinct that caused her to behave the way she did, not a formal policy. Then you berate me for callousness? What the ...???

I said this:

How do you jump from this to me saying she ought to have a business policy before taking someone to coffee instead of to her house?

OK, I see you were responding to keystring's statement about making a decision logically vs. emotionally. I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I got all riled up with the Journey's idiotic post and read into what you wrote. I'm sorry for that.

For what is worth, I personally have no problems with making emotional decisions. We are human beings and have emotions as well as intellectual, spiritual, and physical needs upon which we can base our decisions. Not any one is necessarily more or less important than another, although one may tend toward using one over another.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
But it's always wise to step back and ask just how many knots do you want to tie yourself into in order to feel comfortable existing in this world of ever present risk.

I don't think that what red-rose did is anything close to tying herself into knots. It was reasonable and prudent. I know you were responding to TimR, but I'd like RR's post not to be lost.

I love it when men have a private conversation about something that mainly involves women.

The word clueless comes to mind. smile

It would be clueless for men (or women) to have a "private conversation" about anything on a public internet internet forum.

Learner

Is it, "can one rationalize the Starbucks approach "for occasional potential clients who rub you the wrong way over the phone" as a good formal business approach? Yeah, sure, I guess. That seems pretty obvious to me.

You are using quotation marks, but I can't tell whom you are quoting. Are you quoting someone, or are these your own words? If the latter, then it is again ridiculing and trivializing. "Who rub you the wrong way over the phone" sounds ridiculous.

If you are having problems with this, I wonder if it's due to experience. You are wondering about business practices - whether meeting a potential client at a public place to discuss business is a waste of time, for example. If you run your own business then this is not something you would wonder about, because it is common practice. I don't know if it can be explained.

Yes, I'm quoting "myself" in those sentences. But you knew that.

Keystring, I'm not having problems with this. I'm wondering why you are expending so much effort constructing arguments about efficient business practice for this increasingly weird thread. My only comment about efficiency (if I recall correctly) was to note that a two-stage interview process starting at Starbucks and ending in the house, and doing this for every potential student, would probably be a drag on someone's time.

Originally Posted by Malkin
It would be clueless for men (or women) to have a "private conversation" about anything on a public internet internet forum.

Hah! Good one.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by malkin

OK. Let me clarify. I want to be crystal clear.

Piano Dad replies to a comment from TimR, written February 05, 2013 10:51 AM as if it were something rather current.

Originally Posted by TimR

Humans as a group are not very good at evaluating real risk as opposed to perceived risk.

OK. So if we are going more than two months back, let's look at this:
Originally Posted by adak

Violence against women is never right. The quickest way to end violence against women is if women fight back. If news got out that women are beating or killing their attackers then they would think twice before attacking women. Problem solved.

I won't comment.

So then we get this today:
Originally Posted by red-rose
I actually had this *exact* same thing happen to me! I put up fliers, and I listed on craigslist, and someone found me from craigslist. It was a guy and we emailed a couple times, and he mentioned his daughter (but he never actually told me her name - first warning sign.) But the weirdest thing was how in his emails he didn't really talk about his daughter, he just talked a bit about how he was in a band and played the drums and stuff. So, OF COURSE I was no way going to let him in my house without at least meeting him in a public place first. So as it neared our appointed meeting time at a coffee shop, I emailed him again and very specifically was like, "Ok, so I'll see you and your daughter, and make sure she brings her old piano books so I can look at them," (hint hint...don't even think about coming without her!)

Well, after waiting 15 minutes past the decided time, he never showed, and never emailed again to apologize. I was GLAD.

That earns a response, not TO the person who posted, but to TimR, going back in time I suppose two months.
Originally Posted by Piano Dad

Indeed.

This is such a sad discussion.

Everyone will evaluate this situation as they see fit, based on their experiences, their fears, and their attitudes about the world around them. But it's always wise to step back and ask just how many knots do you want to tie yourself into in order to feel comfortable existing in this world of ever present risk.

Now, I will concede that calling this a “private discussion” is inaccurate. What went through my mind, instead, is that a often a man would rather comment on a comment that is over two months old by another man, in public, in a way that totally ignores the woman as if she was not even here, rather than to answer the woman who has just expressed a thought and a worry.

So the word “private” is not accurate. But I do not have a word for what happens when one man replies to another as if the woman is not there and does not deserve to have her ideas directly addressed. That in my opinion was what happened today. I stand by that. I further suggest that this happens a lot in this world, where I further insist men have more power and assume that they deserve to have it.

But I do not have a word for what happens when one man replies to another as if the woman is not there and does not deserve to have her ideas directly addressed. That in my opinion was what happened today.

Gary, you have finally put into words what has been bothering me all day, and I could not put my finger on it.

It started when Red Rose came on and talked about a real situation, and the first response had nothing to do with what she had said. Instead it was some abstract speculation between two men. The various things that were put forth were further trivialized. I don't know what to call what happened with the things that I wrote. Is that much incomprehension really possible? In any case, earlier in the day I bumped today's original post up twice, because it seemed extremely important to do that - for this person to be heard.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
1. It's a sad commentary on the state of society that women feel such risk.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Not saying the fears are not justified, just pitying those who live in (unequal, anti-social, violent, misogynistic, drugged-up, poverty riddled, poorly educated, etc.) societies where one is condemned to live one's life in fear and not even feel free to act and safe in one's own home/studio.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
My opinion on this subject is as follows:

Lock the thread.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission