2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
A pianist is coming to town soon for a piano concert. She is currently my favorite pianist/performer. I would like to bring a bouquet of flowers to place on the stage after the performance to express my appreciation. Would that be inappropriate?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
It's very common for some people in the audience to do this. Why do you think it would be inappropriate?

B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I don't think I have ever seen somebody who was just an audience member, not someone who works for the venue, do it at a concert.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
BWV846 :

Traditionally at formal concerts it seems to be the agent or the house's management that sends someone from staff to present flowers to the performer.

That said, in less formal venues, I have seen audience members present flowers to the performer. In these cases it seems that one invariably chooses a child to do the presentation.

What you could do, after the performance, is go back stage and present your flowers personally and not in front of the audience.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Originally Posted by BWV 846
I don't think I have ever seen somebody who was just an audience member, not someone who works for the venue, do it at a concert.
I think sometimes at the largest concert halls ushers may bring the flowers, but I've also seen regular audience members do it, and it's very common in smaller halls for audience members to do it in my experience.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/05/13 08:33 PM.
B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
It's a small hall in a large venue (Kennedy Center).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it's a lovely gesture. What's the harm?
Originally Posted by BruceD

What you could do, after the performance, is go back stage and present your flowers personally and not in front of the audience. Regards,
I think Bruce's idea is an even better one since you get to meet the artist and show your appreciation in person.

Best regards,

Deborah
B
BDB Offline
B
Call the hall and ask what the practice is there.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know who you're going to hear and the answer is yes, she'd love to have flowers.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores
I know who you're going to hear and the answer is yes, she'd love to have flowers.

laugh , I brought flowers some years ago to a concert in London. Thankfully the star did not cancel -and I was a tart sight in my Savile Row pinstripe suit offering them- but otherwise, I would have just passed them on to my mother.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So, who's the performer?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Just be sure the bouquet is nice enough to properly express your appreciation. I have seen gas-station flowers presented to performers by representatives of the house, and it was embarrassing. I would hate to see the performer accept your bouquet of roses, only to turn them around and whip you with the stems as he chased you from the hall.

Ok, I'm lying--- that would be quite a show. There would be ink for years.

Anyway, when you say it with flowers, be sure you say the right thing. The language is rather explicit.

Clef

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't think I want to do this anymore.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Random floral thoughts.

I saw Isaac Stern receive post-concert flowers on a documentary about his last China trip, along with several other performers. He threw the flowers to someone in the audience, then encouraged the other performers to do likewise (they seemed to have wanted to keep their bouquets). I thought this was all rather tacky--he should have kept the flowers.

I see nothing tacky about that gesture at all. Stern, with his international reputation is highly unlikely to do anything tacky or against custom; perhaps it was a question of "different country, different customs." Stern was obviously sharing his enjoyment of the event by sharing with the audience their delight in the performance. I've often seen that done, particularly after an operatic performance where the lead soprano or lead tenor (when the poor guy even gets some flowers) shares them with the audience.

I did a competition once where a female competitor received flowers in the lobby after her performance, before the competition was over, from some group of boys attending the same college (also where the competition was held). She must have been the sweetheart of Phi Mu Alpha, or something. I thought it was rather tacky, as she had not won yet, and I was waiting to perform!

Why was that tacky? Some friends obviously wanted to share their appreciation for the performance that had just taken place. Do you think only the winners should be presented with flowers? Did you think you were being up-staged, somehow? It was, after all, in the lobby, not on stage. It seems like a kindly, thoughtful gesture; nothing tacky about it in my mind.

Some people have flower arragements put on stage for recitals. Nice, as long as they don't get knocked over moving the pianos around for two-piano concerto performances.

... and how often have you seen that happen?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

B
BWV 846 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I did give flowers to Angela Hewitt after the concert (yellow and white tulips). I'm glad I did.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
By all means come forward to present the artist with a large bouquet of flowers! If they don't reach out their hand to accept, simply lay them down on the stage. Alternatively you could throw single stem roses from the stage-side balcony for an Olympic touch.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
Random floral thoughts.

[quote=WhoDwaldi]Some people have flower arragements put on stage for recitals. Nice, as long as they don't get knocked over moving the pianos around for two-piano concerto performances.

... and how often have you seen that happen?

It's a regular event in Dorset.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BWV 846
I did give flowers to Angela Hewitt after the concert (yellow and white tulips). I'm glad I did.
Lucky you to hear her! I bet she was very pleased to receive them.

Best regards,

Deborah
B
B
Angela Hewitt is an ex-ballerina, and ballerinas are always pleased to receive flowers grin.

In Russia and Eastern Europe, even male pianists are given bouquets by (female) members of the audience, as you can see here: http://youtu.be/weNs4NuhJ0g

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission