2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
justpin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Just reading a bit of history of classical period composers..

Did ANY of them have a happy ending?

Off my head:

Chopin died poorly alone, almost penniless than a student of his had to cover his rent.

Bach died ill alone, in an unmarked grave penniless with just a few books and instruments to his name.

Beethoven died horribly ill with severe tinnitus.

Brahms died horribly of liver cancer bed ridden and severely ill and unable to play

Mozart died horribly ill in and was buried in an unmarked grave .

Schubert died very young horribly ill.

Or is it just completely normal in the classical age i.e. other normal people were dying in the same manner?

The thing is Rachmaninoff who lived in the 20th century also died of a horrible illness.

A
A
Thanks for the motivation! :p

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Medical treatment was poor. They got sick and died.

So, what *is* a happy ending?

"My friends, I'm sorry to inform you that your favorite composer in this romantic period has died yesterday. He fell off his unicorn whilst attempting to jump over a rainbow. However, it should be said he was smiling the entire way down. May he rest in pieces."

grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Picking just two pre-modern composers: Haydn & Bach. Both lived long (for the time) and "did all right."

When I was young, I thought that Poverty was a country where musicians went .... wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
"Starting out with anal..." and now "Happy endings". What on earth is happening to these forums anyway?!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Liszt had quite a long and full life! But yes, I had the same impression while listening to Prof. Robert Greenberg's lectures on music history.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
What's a happy ending? Maybe dying because of overdose? LOL

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Liszt must have been the longest living composer of the nineteenth century! Bet it was his genes..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My piano teacher is a composer. I told him that I don't think he'll ever be a truly great composer, because he doesn't come from a disfunctional family, he doesn't have a life-threatening illness, nor doesn't he have any bizarre personality traits. Talent and hard work will only take you so far. laugh

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry, thought this thread was about something completely different... hey-o! laugh

I would think that most people die from illness, particularly before the advent of modern medicine. One of the great fallacies in "life expectancy" predictions is that we're making our lives longer because the average age at which people die is higher now than ever before.

Well, there is some truth to it: the average person will live much longer, thus giving us a greater number. But the max age really hasn't been touched at all. It was not uncommon for some people (like Liszt) to live well into their 80's back when the average life expectancy was something like 35-40 years.

The statistics even show that, if someone in the time survived to age 21, it was likely they would survive to age 64. So, a lot of people were dying young, of illness and probably from war/fighting.

In that light, I don't think it's any surprise that the cross-section of composers follows the same pattern as the rest of the world. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Liszt, while he lived a long full life, also died horribly alone, neglected by his daughter, a case of elder abuse. Read Alan Walker's short book about the death of Liszt. (As if one needed another reason to despise Wagner - - )
The Death of Franz Liszt

Chopin, on the other hand, while he did die broke, died in a most upscale Paris apartment, comforted by his closest friends, his sister, and half the fashionable world of Paris. He knew he was much loved, even if George never showed.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think the original poster is being a little pessimistic, and needs to do a little more research, or at least look at things from the perspective of the times.

Brahms also lived a long (for the times) and successful life and was only sick at the very end. He died rich and well respected.

Even Mozart, while he died young, did not have that bad a life. He made a lot of money, and spent it all (and more). He did what he loved to do and had great fun at it. Because he started so young, you could say that he had already lived a lifetime before he turned 30. Did everything always go his way? No, but that's rare for anyone. His death was certainly not anything out of the ordinary for Vienna at the time.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission