2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
srgyydm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just purchased a used Steinway that is approximately 50 years old and the outside needs to be refinished. I found someone who is supposed to be excellent at refinishing but now I have to decide whether to have it refinished in high-gloss or satin. Right now the piano has it's original satin finish. I should tell you that I have 4 kids and hope that at least some of them end up playing! Any thoughts on what finish I should use?

I planned on doing satin because I feel like that will fit with the style of my home better but now I’ve been reading that it really doesn’t stand up as well. I also wonder if anyone has any thoughts on resale value? Particularly, in regards to a Steinway. If there is any impact on the resale of a glossy vs. satin Steinway?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

S
S
I would say glossy is mire common these days but I would just go with my personal preference.

PLEYEL P124
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Satin lacquer finishes hold up just fine, and won't show finger prints, dust, or scratches as easily as high gloss. If that is what you prefer, get it. Steinway offers high gloss instruments, so this shouldn't affect resale value.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yup, I saw some recently. They are nice. The current NY high gloss has satin black inside rim (instead of wood veneer inside rim from Hamburg). The belly of these newer NY models have glossy neutral wood, no color including the beams. I think that's how the Hamburgs are as well. The NY shoulders remain square instead of curved. If you want this new look, you should check one out, take photos and tell your rebuilder to do it just like those.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Until quite recently NY Steinway was only available in satin abony except by special at a big extra cost. So except possibly for the last few years almost all ebony Steinways were satin. I'd guess the proportion of non satin ebony has increased but that satin is still the huge majority.

M
M
From a purely decorating standpoint, I think a more casual decor would match a satin finish, whereas for a more formal look, go with the high gloss.

From a practical standpoint, go with the satin finish as it will show fingerprints much less, and with all those kids, it will be hard to keep it looking clean in gloss.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Knowers of old pianos know that high gloss polyester does not belong to a NY Steinway (min. not on pianos built until 2010/2011).

Knowers of old pianos know that high gloss polyester does not belong to pianos if they were built before 1960, neither in America nor in Europe.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Steinway has traditionally used lacquer for all of the finishes. With the development of the synthetic products, this has now changed and polyester has become an option. It is something worth considering when having the casework refinished. The poly is a more "forgiving" finish and with young children, might be the best option.

Since, for all practical purposes, we are talking about a piano as furniture, it is best to go with your own taste. Both satin and gloss ebony are popular so I doubt it would affect resale.

Without knowing anything about the piano, other than it is approximately 50 years old, there is no way to give even a ballpark evaluation. A 'core' S&S-M from this period would usually sell for ~$6-7K.

Good luck with your decision.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Stick with the satin finish! it's much easier to keep clean, it lasts longer, it doesn't show up dirt and scratches, and is just, generally better.

YAMAHA Artist
But isn't the satin finish much more delicate? It seems to scratch very easily.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frito
But isn't the satin finish much more delicate? It seems to scratch very easily.
It's not the satin, it's the material. Steinway's satin finish is lacquer. Most gloss finishes are polyester. Each material has advantages and disadvantages for long-term wear. Also, gloss piano finishes are so common among current pianos of most brands that the idea of casual or formal look is also breaking down.

One caution...I would not want to maintain a high gloss lacquer finish. This has a beautiful look but with the disadvantages of both lacquer & poly and with none of the benefits.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I vote with Sam on this one.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
I am curious why a 50 year old Steinway would need to be refinished, rather than just repairing the existing finish. Is there something specifically wrong with it? The strong point about the Steinway lacquer finishes is that they can be repaired without a lot of trouble.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As a musical instrument, a 50 year old Steinway would probably benefit more from an investment into the inner workings instead of a new finish. Re-finishing is not cheap, and for the thousands it would cost to get a good new finish on the outside, you can get a lot of 50 year old parts replaced and working like new.

JG
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
If greasy sweat is left on the finish the uric acids will soften the lacquer to the point it cannot be recoated over.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
SATIN.

S
srgyydm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You guys are all amazing! All great advice. The piano was originally used in a school (and then used by a family) and is pretty beaten up on the outside. The family has owned it for about 20 years. They did some internal work on it a few years ago. There's a new action and new hammers. In pretty decent shape inside. I’m having a little work done on some of the base keys and having the piano voiced.

I read in some past posts that satin can get scratched easily and shows fingerprints. I was told the opposite by the refinisher and my piano technician: that the satin is better for kids because it doesn’t get as scratched and does not show as many fingerprints. While looking for a used piano I kept coming across satin Steinways. Very few gloss. If I were to purchase a Yamaha I would have kept it glossy because that is what seemed to me to be more authentic and that satin was more authentic to a Steinway. I could be totally mistaken and please correct me if I am wrong.

The price is the same for either finish. The refinisher said, if I am correct, that he used a 60% shine to achieve the satin and that he can take it up to 100% if I want to make it glossy. Opinions?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
no brainer-- keep the satin lacquer finish. It's beautiful, classic, and fits the piano best, as well as being quite easy to maintain.

N
N
Satin is really the way to go for re-sale if needed. The product we've used for eons is still made. Mohawk M625-0207 Satin Black Nitro-cellulose lacquer. The last 4 digits are merely the can size that is a gallon size but we use 5 gal cans. You can clearcoat over it but I think kids can throw PBJ sandwiches at this finish all day long without effect.

J Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
Since 1918
Lascassas TN

S
srgyydm Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does anyone know anything about refinishing in acrylic? That's what the refinisher wants to use. He says it'll be much more durable than polyester or laquer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission