2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
origen, congrats on the purchase of your new RD-700NX! I agree, it's a fantastic board!

May I ask why you felt the Roland is superior to the Kawai in terms of MIDI features? I'm just wondering if there's perhaps something missing from the MP10's interface or connectivity?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James

May I ask why you felt the Roland is superior to the Kawai in terms of MIDI features? I'm just wondering if there's perhaps something missing from the MP10's interface or connectivity?

Cheers,
James
x

That's a good question because the MP10 is a excellent controller.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Origen,

Congratulations to your new piano!!! I have had my for a year now and I still love it as much as I did the first day I got it! Enjoy!!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
That's a good question because the MP10 is a excellent controller.

[Linked Image]

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

Isn't the RD-700NX a full 4-zone controller, i.e. like the MP6, whereas the MP10 is more piano but less controller?

B
B
Originally Posted by Nigeth
I played a V-Piano today through the monitor setup in Thomann's flagship store at the corporate headquarters which is as high end as it get's probably. I found it to be OK but a bit bland and too close to the sound and feel of the RD700NX considering its price tag.

I certainly agree that the V-Piano's sound lacks impact in its factory default settings. If you get the chance to try it again, try customizing the sound a little (unlike the RD-700NX, you can alter its sound to your heart's content in myriad ways): go to V1 Concert setting, increase the tone color to +2 or +3, increase the string, soundboard and cross-resonances to +50 or so, increase the decay time to +60.

You'll now have resonances and color, as well as truly realistic long sustain (with no looping), which no other DP can offer.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Isn't the RD-700NX a full 4-zone controller, i.e. like the MP6, whereas the MP10 is more piano but less controller?

Well yes but the MP10 does that too ...easier.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Z
Z

well my RD700GX midi controller is rather easy and intuitive in use...

R
OP Offline
R
Oke, thanks for the feedback everybody. You guys are making me wonder if I'm gonna go for the Nord piano 2 or the RD 700 NX. I still think I'm going for the Nord right now because I just love the sound library, like the fact that they update it regularly and that you have the possibility to update it for free.... and I'm oke with the keyboard action (reminds me of the DP I have right now). In terms of MIDI, is there really a big difference? I mean I'm planning to connect my "new stage piano" to a (usb) audio interface via a MIDI cable and what happens after that.. NO idea, but can you really hear the difference? I'm not gonna use big orchestral VST instruments soo, I think it's not really that important. (or is it??)
Everybody here is confinsing me that the RD 700 NX is a wonderful instrument (and I believe that) but I must say that when I was playing on the RD 300 NX I didn't really like it. Is it really such a difference between the two? And when you're looking at the piano library's.. does Nord beat Roland? I think Nord>Roland, especially when you look at their grand piano library: http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.a..._Piano_Library_v5&clplib=Grand_Piano

Overall the RD 700NX may beat the Nord piano 2 HA88, but for me.. when looking at grand piano samples in the first place and a good MIDI response in the second(doesnt have to be extremely good) is it really the best?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ray Xavier

Everybody here is confinsing me that the RD 700 NX is a wonderful instrument (and I believe that) but I must say that when I was playing on the RD 300 NX I didn't really like it. Is it really such a difference between the two?

Yeah ... Massive difference in both sound and action between the 300 and 700 but the nord is very good indeed ( excepting the action which is rather poor ) The RD700NX has the best sound and action bundle of any DP and is a full 4 zone Midi controller. The Nord has those fantastic sound libraries, a rather compromised action but is very lightweight and its Midi credentials if they are anything like the Stage 2 should be excellent.
Basically I see your choice as trading the better action and SN piano of the RD for the fantastic flexibility of the Nord library and its light weight. If you find you can live with the Nords action then it should make it easier for you.

Last edited by Dr Popper; 02/06/13 08:12 AM.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Oke, thanks for the feedback everybody. You guys are making me wonder if I'm gonna go for the Nord piano 2 or the RD 700 NX.
In terms of MIDI, is there really a big difference? I mean I'm planning to connect my "new stage piano" to a (usb) audio interface via a MIDI cable and what happens after that.. NO idea, but can you really hear the difference?

When it comes to MIDI, it's not a matter of sound quality, you won't hear a difference, rather it's a matter of MIDI features. Like, do you want buttons on the piano to be able to call up different sounds over MIDI? Do you want to have volume controls for both internal and external sounds on the piano? Do you want pitch bend and modulation controls? etc.

Everybody here is confinsing me that the RD 700 NX is a wonderful instrument (and I believe that) but I must say that when I was playing on the RD 300 NX I didn't really like it. Is it really such a difference between the two?

Yes, especially in the action.

And when you're looking at the piano library's.. does Nord beat Roland?

In terms of number of different piano sounds available, yes. In terms of the quality of piano sounds, IMO, no, but that's subjective. If you're using MIDI, though, you also have the possibility of adding different piano sounds to either one that way (as long as you're willing to be connected to another device while playing... in this case, typically a computer).

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

I just checked the manual, it looks like the MP10 supports only one MIDI zone (two zones total). The MP6 and (and I think the RD-700NX) support four MIDI zones, so when it comes to being a 4-zone controller, it would not be right to say that "MP10 does that too."

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

I just checked the manual, it looks like the MP10 supports only one MIDI zone (two zones total). The MP6 and (and I think the RD-700NX) support four MIDI zones, so when it comes to being a 4-zone controller, it would not be right to say that "MP10 does that too."

Yeah well the RD is also fully 16 part Multi if you want it to be. But the MP10 is a very easy controller to use. My 7yo daughter uses it with ease.

My 7yo daughter uses it with ease.

Birthday present? Lucky girl!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Yeah well the RD is also fully 16 part Multi if you want it to be.

That has nothing to do with it being a controller.

does the 700nx and the fp7f have the same action? what about the 300nx and the fp3f?

Casio Privia PX-150

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by adak
does the 700nx and the fp7f have the same action?

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1123
"The FP-7F features Roland’s newly developed PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement. With the same progressive hammer action and escapement as the top-line PHA III"

(Where the RD-700NX has "PHA III Ivory Feel Keyboard with Escapement".)

Another post somewhere claims a Roland tech indicated they indeed felt slightly different.

Originally Posted by adak
what about the 300nx and the fp3f?

RD-300NX: "New Ivory Feel-G keyboard with Escapement"
FP-4F: "Ivory Feel-G keyboard with Escapement"

Someone else will have to chime in about what that really means ...

Last edited by xorbe; 02/06/13 12:33 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
700NX and FP7F have the same action; 300NX and FP4F have the same action as each other, but not the same as the 700NX/FP7F.

O
O
origen, congrats on the purchase of your new RD-700NX! I agree, it's a fantastic board!

Cheers,
James
x

I was actually mistaken in my original statement on the 700nx and mp10 not comparing in midi mode, they do actually compare quite well and I will edit my post to reflect that, the 700nx appears to only be slightly better in the fact that you can split it into 4 zones and layer those, but so far I haven't needed to do that, so for me they are really quite similar. I do however really enjoy many of the synths and bass synth patches which the mp10 doesn't really have, and one other note - the Jazz Scat patch (1st one in choirs) is sooooo fun to play around with. I havent had this much fun with one patch in a long time. Its kind of corny but the way the notes change with key velocity makes trying to play songs much more interesting. Im working on Ben Folds "The Luckiest" right now and loving life. One of the great underrated artists of our time.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
700NX and FP7F have the same action; 300NX and FP4F have the same action as each other, but not the same as the 700NX/FP7F.

I wonder? They are visually, or cosmetically, different.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission