2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
The simple reality is they are waaaay closer their their price difference would indicate. I think previous Casio actions were good (not amazing) and well designed to compete with Yamaha's models featuring GHS action. I think the new Casio action is stellar without thinking about "for the price" and truly remarkable for the overall weight. I only compare them to higher level actions now.

If you look at the console PX-850, you'll add string resonance, key off resonance, and a lid simulator not found on the PX-350 piano sounds. That won't tell you how much you like it, but it puts them technically in a very similar league.

(The miniature lid on the cabinet is not the same as the lid simulator effect).
I need to be able to "put away" the keyboard once in a while so consoles are out for me unfortunately.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm 90% sure I will go with the px350. For my needs and my level of playing I don't think I can justify the extra cost of the mp6. I figure if i grow unhappy with the sound of the px350 I can buy Ivory and still come in a few hundred bucks less than the cost of an mp6.

F
F
I actually own both boards ( a long story). I prefer the APs and EPs on the MP6 and prefer the keyboard and the lack of weight on the px350. I travel with the PX350 for a practice instrument. I will look at the PX5 once it shows up in a showroom and may pair it with my Hammond for gigging. Lugging a 50 pound keyboard is getting old for this old back. I agree that the PX350 will make a pretty good VP keyboard. That is where we are heading anyway. But Kawai builds solid and dependable instruments that last forever. I still have a ES4 I use in my office. Good luck on your choice. either one would be a good decision.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FrankDaddy
I actually own both boards ( a long story). I prefer the APs and EPs on the MP6 and prefer the keyboard and the lack of weight on the px350. ...
I will look at the PX5 once it shows up in a showroom

Yes, the PX5 has greatly improved EPs, it will be interesting to see if they are competitive with the MP6 as that was a weakness of the PX350. There was also mention that there is improvement to the AP sound as well, improved resonance and more variations and customizability so it may be easier to find something you're happy with.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
We'll, it's comparing a stage piano / master keyboard controller with the previous generation of sound generator and keybed (mp6) with a pure stage piano (less controller) that has a current generation of sound engine and keybed. It would make more sense to compare an ES7 to the PX350 in terms of feature set and release date of the product. But I assume in your country the ES plays in a different price range than the MP6 , which makes the ES not an option ?

Here at least they cost the roughly the same and in that case IMHO the ES7 is a clear winner in terms of build quality, keybed, EP sound and perhaps also AP sound (that last one also depends on personal preference ).

As for the noise of the MP6 keys; there could be some differences between one unit and another, but at least all MP6 machines I've seen and played so far made very little key noise. The quietest keybed I've encountered in this range. The new ES is a bit noisier ( bit more thumping). I think the Casio is roughly at the same level as the ES as far as key noise is concerned.

If you're not interested in speakers at all, as you said, I would now either go for the PX5S , or if you're not in any hurry wait for an MP6 follow up , if that ever materializes. Could be another year, could be MusikMesse, who knows...

Non of these boards is terribly bad to start learning to play some piano by the way ;-)

Last edited by JFP; 02/04/13 05:17 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
True, in terms of overall functionality (i.e. MIDI controller, but no speakers), the PX-5S is closer to the MP6 than the PX-350 is, and the PX-350 might be better compared with something like the ES7.

Originally Posted by anotherscott
True, in terms of overall functionality (i.e. MIDI controller, but no speakers), the PX-5S is closer to the MP6 than the PX-350 is, and the PX-350 might be better compared with something like the ES7.

Agree completely here.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
F
F
The ES series with the fewer sounds and built in speakers are functionally the same as the PX-350. I bought the PX 350 for a lightweight self contained piano to replace my Kawai ES4. The ES4 has been retired to my office as a practice board. But the ES7 is about $1,900+- here in the US and the 350 is about $800 street. So the price/perfomance of the Privia is very strong. Again you cannot go wrong with either board. I have no regrets about buying either boards.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by JFP
Here at least they cost the roughly the same and in that case IMHO the ES7 is a clear winner in terms of build quality, keybed, EP sound and perhaps also AP sound (that last one also depends on personal preference ).

Non of these boards is terribly bad to start learning to play some piano by the way ;-)
Here in the USA the typical advertised price for the MP6 is $1500, while the ES7 is $2000. The PX-350 is $800 and the PX-5s is rumored to be $1000. I thought about waiting for the PX-5S but didn't think the extra $200 would be worth it for a bunch of features I mostly won't use.

I pulled the trigger on a PX-350. It just made the most sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission