2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nigeth
Originally Posted by dire tonic

- just a minor side-issue on bandwidth, I don't mean to divert the OP but do you (or does anyone) know how fast midi data is pushed through a USB port into a PC? I know both MIDI and USB are serial ports but the latter has a theoretical max rate of 480kb/s (v2) while MIDI is a little over 31kb/s. I was never convinced, when using a sequencer for real-time input, that otherwise tight chord timings were getting accurately reported by MIDI whereas I've a bit more faith in USB doing a better job. Does anyone have any insights?

I'd be pretty surprised if MIDI over USB used anything other than the 31.25 Kbaud/s rate. With that rate you could send a MIDI event every 32 Mikroseconds.

I fear you might be right, the same data rate over USB as over MIDI - pity.

One thing though, I'm fairly sure that it's 31.25k (bits) rather than K (bytes). If I remember correctly it takes approx 1 millisec to send a 3-byte MIDI message (e.g. note-on = [9x, pitch, velocity])

N
N
You are correct. It's one bit every 32 µS.

That's what I get for doing an off the cuff calculation. Technically it would be 31.25 Kilobaud/s since it's 32 µS per symbol (MIDI doesn't specify how a bit is encoded, i.e. how the electrical interface works, it just requires that you're able to transmit one bit every 32 µS)

It was specified to be 31.25 kBit/s since it's an exact division of 1 MHz and since most small microprocessors run at an integral MHz value it can be easily derived from the clock of the microcontroller.

Midi messages consist of three byte (one for the status and two for the data), the first bit of each byte designates its purpose (status or data) and there are seven bit to encode the content. Each byte is framed by a strat and a stop bit.

Therefore each Midi byte consists of ten bit so a standard MIDI message would take 960 µS

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
Infinite Response are already using continuous key position sensing, however they are necessarily outputting standard (hi-res) MIDI.

Quoting from: http://www.infiniteresponse.com/expr.html

Better Experience
A sophisticated digital signal-processing algorithm (DSP) analyzes the slightest key movement thousands of times a second. It delivers MIDI messages based on acceleration vectors, not just key speed at the bottom. Its more about how you play the note than how you hit the note. For example, you can play trills without fully depressing the keys. Many of the best keyboard players in the world play the VAX77 and find it to be the most expressive keyboard instrument ever. Never before could you play a MIDI keyboard so softly. And no matter how strongly you attack the keys, it always feels like you can dig down and get a little more out of it.

Greg.

I've read all the VAX77 ad materials. I'd love to hear from someone who has bought one and played it a lot.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Clayman
I really don't think the engineers at Yamaha/Roland/Kawai etc. haven't thought about this already but for some reason they stick to whatever we have today. I'm not sure I share dewster's "conspiratory" point of view that manufacturers purposely sell products with sub-par technologies but it's an interesting question nonetheless.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, though markets don't always operate like the perfectly competitive capitalist ideal. Probably more laziness, old engineers, MIDI mindset, don't rock the boat, the crap we make is selling fine, paranoid schizophrenic corporate risk aversion, etc.

Much innovation these days is performed by small start-ups, which are formed with the intent of being bought out / swallowed up by a larger industry player (if only to quash the innovation and own the patents). The big guys are seemingly incapable of doing anything really new. Maybe because they attract mediocre employees who need to get their kids through college, healthcare (in the US), and maybe a big screen TV or two, and are run by professional jet setting golfers.

N
N
The bigger issue is that the established companies are selling real instruments too.

If Yamaha or Kawai built the 'perfect' digital piano for an affordable price then probably no one except for professional musicians, concert halls and nostalgics would buy real instruments.

They'd basically totally destroy their owm > $10.000 market

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by kapelli

Who buys DP:
1. Piano lovers who cannot buy AP due to the living conditions (neighbours etc)
2. People who just want to play piano for fun, most probably they will never achieve high-level technique and musical understanding... because they just don't want to smile people want to have fun with piano, not to spend 6 months on learning Chopin's Ballades or Debussy Etudes smile
3.Parents for children but they don't know will they love or hate it...

Yes, and many of these may be "fooled", believing the sales pitch of the DP industry, particularly (3) where parents want to get a cheap piano for their kids.

I think that's sad because many kids will turn away from playing piano because the DP does not inspire to play.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nigeth
The bigger issue is that the established companies are selling real instruments too.

If Yamaha or Kawai built the 'perfect' digital piano for an affordable price then probably no one except for professional musicians, concert halls and nostalgics would buy real instruments.

They'd basically totally destroy their owm > $10.000 market

Nothing to stop Korg, Nord, Casio or Roland trying to produce such an instrument though, is there?

.....as for the argument that children would be put off by uninspiring DPs - I really doubt that that is true, in general. The alternative to a Clavinova, Kawai CA or Roland HP digital would in many or most cases be a truly dreadful and often un-tunable upright acoustic....remember the acoustic-only days?

Last edited by toddy; 02/04/13 01:41 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"If Yamaha or Kawai built the 'perfect' digital piano for an affordable price .. ."

That day may be soon upon us. Already the sounds of digitals are becoming harder to digest . .. It`ll have to be Ebay for my next purchese! .. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
When we find fault in pianos and then decide that the manufacturer is holding back improvements that you and I might want ... we have to remember that neither you nor I represent the whole market. The maker wants to show a profit, and he must sell products to satisfy the market. It seems that plenty of people are satisfied with the current product lines, so what is there to drive change?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Most of the arguments here about digital versus acoustic pianos were said also about electric guitars when they first hit the scene. And sorry I know quit a few young people that learned on digital pianos before they got an acoustic grand. Weren't inspired? Then why did they stick with it?

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 02/04/13 02:35 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dewster

DPs are bought by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons, some rational, some irrational.

True, a friend of mine bought a V-Piano because it fitted exactly the gap between the floor and the short leg of his wobbly coffee table.

B
B
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

DPs are bought by all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons, some rational, some irrational.

True, a friend of mine bought a V-Piano because it fitted exactly the gap between the floor and the short leg of his wobbly coffee table.

I understand perfectly.

I bought my V-Piano because its colours matched exactly the colours of my hi-fi speakers' grills, down to the metalled silver logos. And in the fashion world that year, 2010, black was the new white (or should that be the new black?). And I had nothing else in my flat (apartment) that was black.

But I believe that was a good, rational reason for buying a DP. (It also happens to play quite well, despite my best efforts.....).

If music be the food of love, play on!
Gvfarns, Dewster, questions to Your previous posts:
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I don't particularly see why this would be necessary. Two switches to determine the velocity of the hammer at release and one to determine whether the dampers are engaged or not. There *might* be an issue with DP implementation in that the two switches are not as close together as we would like so instead of giving us the release velocity they give us an average velocity. If this is the case I suppose it's due to the tolerances on the switches that are currently being used. That being the case I would prefer a better type of switch, but I don't see any reason to think that it should be continuous. Do you?

Yes. So that the final velocity is real, and not a rough approximation. And so note-off damping is a changing position, rather than a velocity. It's trivially easy to apply non-constant pressure to a key while playing (almost certainly the norm) and it's also easy to apply note off damping on a real piano in very complex ways. Two and three sensor actions might seem pretty OK (I'm kind of shocked they work as well as they do) and many can obviously easily adapt to them, but a real continuous sensor would give you tons of extra control over what actually happens, when, and how.

1. AP-s apply one single sensor for key ON velocity measurement: the string itself when hit by the hammer.

The velocity is the integrated kinetic energy gathered from the a whole complex pressure force applied to the moving key.

Damper up should be simulated mechanically by the DPs action. (And measured accurately at the striking point by two very near positioned sensors.)

2. Damper movement. It is an interesting point. Do we have for this a MIDI event at all? I cannot remember whether even a 3 sensor action could deliver an event for damper up. (NOTE ON 0 ?). String/Damper Noises + SR should be controlled by this event.

If this is the case, it is a much more obvious shortcoming with current MIDI then ultimate accuracy due to the lack of continouos measurement.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
Nigeth: I agree, in a digital system, there is no such thing as completely "continuous", however the VAX77 does NOT use a triple-sensor action - each key has a hall-effect sensor, which produces an analog signal that varies in proportion to the key-press depth, and this signal is then digitised and processed by a DSP, as evidenced by the quote I supplied.

A shame it's saddled with MIDI. Even high-res MIDI velocity doesn't paint the whole picture of what's going on. A VAX77 with internal fully sampled pianos that bypass the MIDI nonsense might seriously kill. Though I'm not a big fan of it folding in half (when folded the exposed middle keys look really fragile).

Don't get me wrong re MIDI, it's really OK for a lot of keyboard / piano centric stuff. But IMO its bandwidth is too limited to take control realism to the next level.

T
T
So here's a question. You try ABC piece on piano XYZ and it's not to your satisfaction. Isn't the same true of any acoustic piano? That top notch classical piece is going to sound like cow dung on a spinet. Heck, at the highest levels, you're going to find pianists who'll tell you that this particular Steinway is lousy for that piece, but this other Steinway that's the exact same model but rolled out of the factory a week later is perfect for it.

Or from the other direction, you want to play some 1800's saloon music. Don't you want a twangy old upright instead of a concert grand?

I'm not going to claim that DPs have caught up to the quality of the best pianos in the world. I'm simply suggesting that no piano-like instrument of any quality or price can satisfy the performance needs for all compositions and performers.

tom

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
It's much more economical and space efficient to build a collection of DPs versus a collection of APs! [Linked Image]

Z
Z
Originally Posted by xorbe
It's much more economical and space efficient to build a collection of DPs versus a collection of APs! [Linked Image]

not necessary when you stack them on each other.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have both and I use them for different purposes.

However, the reason I bought a my DP to begin with was so I didn't have to play many of the AP's that I regularly encounter. I am occasionally asked to play for various programs here and there but I am not a concert pianist and the places I play do NOT have decent Acoustic pianos. Small, poor churches for weddings, funerals etc, various background music situations in city hall meeting rooms, library conference rooms and - well - you get the idea. The pianos in those places are typically not maintained or tuned at all. As a result, my Roland FP7 with some small speakers is a FAR better instrument than those.

A good AP will be better that a DP but the key word is 'good'. There are some horrendously terrible pianos out there and even a mediocre DP like my FP7 is much better. The statement that any AP is better than any DP is just ridiculous.

In my experience, most of my audiences don't even differentiate. To them they are just pianos and the music sounds good or it doesn't. The music played and the pianist are the main things they notice.

However, I love my old G7, it's just REALLY REALLY hard to cart around with my Honda Accord. Maybe if I put wheels on it?

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>However, I love my old G7, it's just REALLY REALLY hard to cart around with my Honda Accord. Maybe if I put wheels on it?

Probably it already HAS wheels :p You only need to connect a towbar to the G7 !

E
E
I'll just add my personal experience to some of the very good point already made. I have owned DP, Synths, and fine acoustic pianos.

They are just different instruments. Period. Comparing an acoustic piano with a DP is for now, a bogus thing to do. They are miles apart. At least for a classical piano player as myself.

Touch, sound... The similarity is nowhere to be seen. Try playing Chopin Op. 25 on a DP.

Of course, I mean playing, for practice they are quite OK. I don't agree they are good for the beginners. Affordable? Sure. But the hand/sound connection is just not there (yet), and IMVHO, this is the most important point about playing an instrument.

Best,
E.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission