2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for the best "electronic" acoustic piano sound for the past monds but haven't really found it yet. I just want something that comes really close to the real deal. I have bought EWQL pianos (a VSTi) but I can't use it yet because my old keyboards MIDI is a little bit... let's say it doesn't work as it should be. So I'm going to buy a new keyboard and my price tag is somewhere below 2000 euro's. I want a quality/professional (stage) piano with a really good acoustic piano sound and fine working MIDI. I don't care about anything else except the good "acoustic like" sound and the MIDI soo I guess there are alot of options below 2000 euros. I have taken a look at ROLAND but the acoustic sound is close.. but just "not it" and I'm thinking about going for a YAMAHA again (got a protable grand DGX-620 right now).
Do you guys have any suggestions?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Only you know what is the best acoustic sound according to your taste. The basic sounds from Kawai, Roland and Yamaha are different.

Folks on here will send you towards the Roland 700NX Studio Grand, the Kawai MP6, MP10, ES7 and even the older EP3, and Yamaha Pxx or CPxx. Some of the NORD acoustic samples also find favour.

There's not much love here for Casio, except as good value lightweight boards.

Those on here really after an authentic sound though favour Vintage D VST.

You probably need to differentiate further by price, function, keys and weight. Or, what do you really want it for.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 02/04/13 12:33 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
None of them is a perfect emulation of any existing grand piano. There are always compromises.

If you prefer:
Non-looped decay = Roland SN + Korg Kronos/Krome

88-note sampling = Roland + Kawai MP/ES7 + Korg Kronos/Krome

Choice of emulations = Nord (although Roland RD-700NX, Korg Kronos and Yamaha CP5/1 also offer individually sampled alternatives to their main acoustic sound)

Sophisticated tri-sensor action with simulated let-off = Roland RD-700NX + Kawai ES7

Greater than 4 velocity layers = Korg Kronos/Krome + Studiologic Numa + Yamaha CP1 + (possibly) Nord and Roland

But as spanishbuddha says, only you know what you like.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
Choice of emulations = Nord (although Roland RD-700NX, Korg Kronos and Yamaha CP5/1 also offer individually sampled alternatives to their main acoustic sound)

Also, there are numerous additional downloadable different piano samples for Kronos and Yamaha Motif XF... but unlike Nord, you usually have to purchase them separately.

Z
Z
get roland's V-Piano nothing compares as far as the feel, touch and sound.

p.s.
2k Euros should get you first installment wink
other then that RD700NX in your price range.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
RD700NX ....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
RD700NX ....

+1 thumb

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
J
J
The RD is not bad but the V-Piano blows it away (for 2.5x the price, it better).

The Nord Piano and Stage 2 both have very good reputations too. They don't feel all that authentic but they're good enough for Hiromi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao3gRYpV6A

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jawhitti
The RD is not bad but the V-Piano blows it away (for 2.5x the price, it better).

The Nord Piano and Stage 2 both have very good reputations too. They don't feel all that authentic but they're good enough for Hiromi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao3gRYpV6A
OT - Hiromi - Amazing and Boring at the same time. That's quite an accomplishment. The only thing missing is her playing the other instruments during that performance.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
P
P
If acoustic piano-like action is important: Kawai MP10

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

That opinion is quite the minority view ...
The NX studio grand kills the V piano ....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

The RD-700NX is certainly one of the best (in fact, probably the best among non-modeled DPs), but if played side-by-side with the V-Piano, there's really no comparison in terms of the sheer 'realism' of the latter's responsiveness to minute changes of articulation and touch of the player, especially at the extremes of dynamics. The more it's pushed, the more you realize just how remarkable the V's simulation of the acoustic grand is.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

The RD-700NX is certainly one of the best (in fact, probably the best among non-modeled DPs), but if played side-by-side with the V-Piano, there's really no comparison in terms of the sheer 'realism' of the latter's responsiveness to minute changes of articulation and touch of the player, especially at the extremes of dynamics. The more it's pushed, the more you realize just how remarkable the V's simulation of the acoustic grand is.

I had a V ... Got rid of it because of its lack of realism.
I've got a RD700NX .....I've kept it and used it, even recorded it when I could have used a real grand piano and that speaks for itself.
I find it amusing that the only people who defend the V are people who already own one and therefore have a vested interest in their hideously overpriced and under performing instrument.

R
OP Offline
R
Oke guys, I have found my favourite! Went to a shop today and played a lot of yamaha stage piano's.. None of them really standed out to me and when I went playing on the Nord piano 2.. I was instantly sold. Amazing sound library, a good feel and just a good experience overall. Even all the knobs and buttons felt high quality soo.. I'm almost definitely sure I'm gonna buy that one

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@Ray

Is weight a point of consideration ? I mean RN700NX or MP10 (even heavier) are fine boards , but you didn't indicate how much weight you wnat to carry around. Otherwise Nord Piano 2 , or Casio PX or the KROME 88 may be interesting as lightweight boards ? Not the top actions, but since you didn't mention top-action as a top-priority I guess that doesn't matter...In terms of best piano sound: KROME88 >= Nord2 > Casio PX-x50

R
OP Offline
R
Oke, I will be more specific.. I want a 88-key stage piano, with fully or graded weighted keys (just a good feel for me, don't really care about the specific specs), amazing piano samples and a below 2500 euro price tag. I don't really care about the weight or all the different synthesizer options and extra sounds. And although with the nord piano 2 I'm also paying for that, for me its: [ Nord 2 > YAMAHA > Roland ] right now, haven't tried any other brand yet..

@JFP I will take a look at the KROME88 wink

B
B

I had a V ... Got rid of it because of its lack of realism.
I've got a RD700NX .....I've kept it and used it, even recorded it when I could have used a real grand piano and that speaks for itself.
I find it amusing that the only people who defend the V are people who already own one and therefore have a vested interest in their hideously overpriced and under performing instrument.

It looks as though you don't know any classical musicians who have played and used DPs including the V-Piano. My pop & jazz acquaintances say exactly the same as you do and can't look beyond what they expect a DP to do (not sure what it is they expect, but they equate 'value' with bells and whistles and flashing lights and funny sounds wink ); my classical friends who normally only play acoustics rave about the V-Piano's sheer realism when they play it, and like me, have no interest in any funny sounds.

But as one hack once said, there's no accounting for tastes (not even bad tastes....).

Don't get me wrong; the RD-700NX is a great DP for people like you. It's just not as good as the V-Piano for a pianist.

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
T
Originally Posted by Ray Xavier
Oke guys, I have found my favourite! Went to a shop today and played a lot of yamaha stage piano's.. None of them really standed out to me and when I went playing on the Nord piano 2.. I was instantly sold. Amazing sound library, a good feel and just a good experience overall. Even all the knobs and buttons felt high quality soo.. I'm almost definitely sure I'm gonna buy that one

+1

Mine is on its way... grin

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
N
N
I played a V-Piano today through the monitor setup in Thomann's flagship store at the corporate headquarters which is as high end as it get's probably. I found it to be OK but a bit bland and too close to the sound and feel of the RD700NX considering its price tag.

O
O
I just purchased the RD700NX and couldn't be happier, I find myself using the studio grand sample or pairing it up with my computer and using NI's The Giant, I waited well over a year going to music stores all over and trying just about every dp out there, Im lucky to live in the Boston area so music stores are everywhere up here. Once you get into that 2k range it really seems that the top offers of today are the MP10, Nord Piano 2 and RD700NX, Yamaha is close and rumor has it that they are hard at work at releasing a new sample for future dp's. My experience is one that put the RD700NX on top for 3 reasons.
1. Keyboard action, MP10 and the 700 are excellent, the Nord really doesn't compete
2. Sounds, all three are great, the Nord has the most character (best sounding unless your really being critical), the 700 has the most complete sample all around (resonance, decay, clarity, tone), and the MP10 is a decent sample but doesn't stand out quite like the other 2.
3. MIDI, as far as hooking the 700 up to a pc and using orchestral, piano, choir and synth libraries while retaining the feel of a great keybed and controls, nothing out there compares at this time other than the MP10. Neither have aftertouch but the 700nx allows you to split and layer up to 4 zones if you need them while the MP10 is limited to one, however I like the MP10s wheels vs the 700NX's joystick.
Also you can get one brand new in the US for under 2300 pretty easily, sweetwater will initially quote 2350, Guitar Center will beat that and then sweetwater may beat that price again. Just email them. Best of luck!

Last edited by origen; 02/06/13 12:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission