2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2026469 02/03/13 07:33 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I bought a new M &M BB last year. I think it was made around 2008, but I'm the first owner so I have the full warranty. The problem is that there are a tremendous amount of notes in the upper two octaves that have false beats. I can hear it and I've had two really reputable technicians acknowledge the problem. They cannot tune it well enough that I could use it for a recording and that's one of the reasons why I upgraded from my Yamaha C5.

The technicians came over to replace bridge pins as a possible solution, but they ended up only doing three notes. Well that didn't solve the problem since many more notes can't be tuned properly. I know there are false beats on every piano, but this is not acceptable from a high quality piano.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if so, did they solve it? The technician now thinks he can add mass to the bridge and it might solve it. Key word is might. I'm not willing to let my piano be an experiment and I don't think I should have to. I've played on many M & M pianos and they are fine pianos (except for mine).

I wrote an email to someone at M & M, but getting someone to respond is like expecting the US president to answer your letter. Perhaps I'll be wrong this time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aaron

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
Full-time music professor (theory) and jazz pianist
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I suggest you move this to the Tech Forum because you are more likely to find a solution there.

Last edited by Withindale; 02/03/13 08:17 PM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Either forum or both of them makes perfect sense. If any other Mason owners have this problem, they may very well not read the Technician's Forum.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/03/13 08:15 PM.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If any other Mason owners have this problem, they may very well not read the Technician's Forum.

... but they would be well advised to do so.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
S
Have you addressed this in detail with the dealer you purchased it from?

GO RAVENS!! (Sorry)

Last edited by Steve Cohen; 02/03/13 09:04 PM.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

A
OP Offline
A
Yes I have contacted the dealer and they were less than cooperative. They didn't seem to take it seriously which is too bad because it's suppose to be a reputable place in Oakland Ca. M & H has acknowledged the problem and even one of the guys back East said my particular year had the false beating problem with some pianos. M & H knows about the problem, but they haven't come up with a good solution for me. Sending someone out to try different things is not acceptable to me. If this were a lemon car, I'm guessing it would be replaced. Perhaps I'm wrong on this.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
R
R
Aaron,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your piano. Peter was able to iron out some niggling issues with my piano. I hope everything works out with your piano.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I apologize for my ignorance, but what are false beats? I am sure I could google this and find out, but I thought I might get an explanation I could understand this way.

M
M
Isn't this what a warranty is for? Perhaps a letter written to the dealer and cc'd to M&H to honor their warranty would help. Be specific about what you expect to happen and ask for the problem to be resolved within a reasonable amount of time (15 days or whatever).

If that doesn't get a response, then perhaps you need to have a letter written by a lawyer (with a request for the legal fees to be reimbursed to you as well).

Was this issue not apparent when you played it in the showroom? Or is it possible this occurred during the moving process?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
I apologize for my ignorance, but what are false beats? I am sure I could google this and find out, but I thought I might get an explanation I could understand this way.

I'm no expert, but a false beat is an unwanted nuance or a waa--waa--waa that is unwelcome. It prevents a note from sounding clean and pure, no matter how much you try to tune it away; hence, a false beat.

False beats are less common on higher quality pianos, supposedly.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I recently bought a 2004 (or maybe 2005) Mason-Hamlin BB. I am not sure if I would know what false beats sound like, but I don't think my piano has any trouble. It pleases me very much. Hope they can fix your problem. I really think the BB is a great model for M & H.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Back when I was grand shopping, I remember encountering a couple of pianos that I otherwise liked with this problem in the high treble register. I'm not sure if these issues were caused by incomplete prep work, assembly problem, or material defect, but I do remember one tech mentioning either a tool or some sort of process by which the issue could probably be alleviated. I didn't end up buying either instrument, so I can't say if it was fixable in these cases. Hopefully one of the techs with firsthand experience will post with their thoughts.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for all the replies. My false beating is pretty significant. If it were just a note here and there I could probably deal with it, but it's pretty obvious in the upper two octaves. To my ear it's completely unacceptable for a piano of this caliber. I can't remember if I mentioned this, but my girlfriend has a BB and hers does not have the same problem at all nor do most of them out there to my knowledge. I love the BB's, but not being able to get a great tuning is a big problem.

I'm hoping to hear back from Mason and Hamlin otherwise I may need to alter my approach to the problem. The Burgett's are really good people so I have faith that they will do what it takes to solve the problem.

Aaron

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Aaron;
Sorry you are having a piano problem. False beats are a vexing issue with pianos. There are many contributing factors. Some are:

shape of the capo bar too round,
string spacing at the capo bar or through the agraffes not straight enough,
loose bridge pins,
poorly spaced bridge pins,
wood of bridge surface too soft,
bridge pins too hard,
insufficient bridge pin stagger,
bridge notching sloppy,
wood splitting at the bridge pins,
peculiar resonances along the bridge that cause the termination point to "jump" around slightly out of phase with the fundamental string frequency. (Not easy to characterize or modify, but some pianos just have this problem.)

My first instinct would be to try a traditional copper plated, mild steel bridge pin if your piano is equipped with the stainless bridge pins some recent Mason's have.

The Burgett's are usually eager to help their customers in my experience. So good luck!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
B
BDB Offline
B
I can guarantee that nobody can do anything about it without actually seeing and hearing the piano.

Semipro Tech
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The fact that, according to you, it is only happening in the treble, leads me to suspect that it is not an issue with bridge pins, notching, or bridge construction/materials. If you think about it, what is different between the treble and the tenor/bass sections? The answer is the capo bar. That's where I would focus my initial investigation.

Piano Technician/Tuner
Online Content
If the issue cannot be resolved to your satisfaction within a reasonable amount of time, the dealer or the Mason Hamlin company should replace the piano with a BB and, of course, allow you to select a BB that you like a lot...not just any other BB that doesn't have the false beating problem. If the dealer has no BB you like right now, they should allow you to select one in the future. If the dealer only has one or two BB's that are not really to your liking and they move slowly, the company should pay for your trip to the factory where there may be a greater selection.

A
OP Offline
A
Pianoloverus,

I completely agree and am I think they should replace the piano. As I said, I don't want someone coming over trying a myriad of solutions until they figure it out. Although I'm a full-time music professor, I have an active playing career and spend a lot of time practicing so I need a good piano to stay sane.

Ed, you thank you for all the possible problem areas and to Chopinlover. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that a solution happens quickly because I've had the piano over six months now.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If you can prove up the condition to the company as you described it to us, what I would ask for, personally, is to swap for another unit of the same model. And of course, you will scrutinize it at a fine scale before accepting it.

It seems to me that it is possible that some rooms can contribute to this kind of sound, because of the shape and placement of the room's reflective surfaces. And therefore, acoustic treatment of the room is what it will take to give you a good sound, without the unwanted echoes.

In many cases, it's some of both.

I have heard that M&H is fine to deal with, once you can acquire their attention. Maybe NAMM has distracted them, recently.

Clef

A
OP Offline
A
Good advice Jeff. I am thinking about moving it to a bigger room than it's currently in. Although the room will certainly affect the overall sound, I would think that the false beating would be independent of the room. The technicians couldn't get most of the upper two octaves in tune using a tuner; in some cases even one string let alone unisons.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission