2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
....Have to admit I don't care for the revolutionary that much....

I think there's a high chance that's totally because of its familiarity. It's a remarkable and striking piece of music -- musically.

As per what you said, of course that's subjective and personal. But I'm telling you. grin
In view of what your tastes and preferences seem to be, it's hard for me to imagine it wouldn't be that way for you.

The remarkableness of the music depends on an excellent performance, including good attention to dynamics -- which, as has been said, doesn't always happen, even in performances by top professionals.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Back to the nature of cheating in etudes, I'm currently cheating the last bit of Liszt's "Un Sospiro". The right hand arpeggios are a bit ridiculous near the end, and I just cross over with my left hand...because hand crossing is one of the technical elements of this piece, and with only a week to learn it before performing it, putting in the extra practice isn't worth it.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
I don't know how anyone could not like the Revolutionary!

I even like it on the Organ! (With the LH on the pedal!)

Last edited by Thrill Science; 02/03/13 02:56 AM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
B
B
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Back to the nature of cheating in etudes, I'm currently cheating the last bit of Liszt's "Un Sospiro". The right hand arpeggios are a bit ridiculous near the end, and I just cross over with my left hand...because hand crossing is one of the technical elements of this piece, and with only a week to learn it before performing it, putting in the extra practice isn't worth it.

I do think that we probably obsess too much about playing music the way it's written rather than in the way that puts the music across better, or that suits our technique better, or that makes more sense to us. Most professional concert pianists have no such qualms, as I've witnessed often in live concerts.

Probably the most common is the redistribution of hands - just watch Mikhail Pletnev, who possesses one of the most transcendental techniques around, playing Chopin's last Prelude from Op.28: http://youtu.be/weNs4NuhJ0g

If music be the food of love, play on!
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by outo
....Have to admit I don't care for the revolutionary that much....

I think there's a high chance that's totally because of its familiarity. It's a remarkable and striking piece of music -- musically.

As per what you said, of course that's subjective and personal. But I'm telling you. grin
In view of what your tastes and preferences seem to be, it's hard for me to imagine it wouldn't be that way for you.

It's true that too many bad/mediocre performances can totally ruin a piece for me...The revolutionary has it's moments, but I think it's just not so much to my musical taste as a whole. I'd say my favorites in addition to 10-2 are 10-6, 10-9, 10-10, 25-1, 25-07, 25-10, 25-12. But sometimes you hear a performance of the others that totally hits home grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693
(hence, I did not pay 40 dollars to go see Lang Lang play a bunch of Chopin etudes last year).

Nor should you pay 40 dollars to go see LL play a bunch of anything... ever! At least you used the correct wording with "see", rather than "hear".

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by trigalg693
(hence, I did not pay 40 dollars to go see Lang Lang play a bunch of Chopin etudes last year).

Nor should you pay 40 dollars to go see LL play a bunch of anything... ever! At least you used the correct wording with "see", rather than "hear".

Oh shut up with this crap.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Damon
I like the Chopin etudes, but they strike me as pop tunes with a technical problem thrown on top. Hard to learn, easy to memorize.

Totally false!!!
(Although, the melody of the F major 10/8 does seem to stolen from an old Beef-A-Roni commercial.) ha

Do you mean they are easy to learn and hard to memorize?

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan

... and I don't dislike the etudes. But to compare them musically to Chopin's more thoughtful pieces is an exercise in worship, IMO.

Well I took note of the 'IMO', but I totally disagree. Your use of the word 'worship' is utterly insulting, I have no problem rating the etudes amongst the finest of Chopin's works.

Sorry mate, did you ever study music at uni?

I suppose this is some British thing to leave out articles, so I assume you mean any college or university as opposed to some place called uni? If so, yes.

I suppose this is some British thing to leave out articles....

Yeah. smile
As near as I can tell, it's done with just a few nouns, "university" and "hospital" being the ones I've noticed.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C

Yeah. smile
As near as I can tell, it's done with just a few nouns, "university" and "hospital" being the ones I've noticed.
But don't you say "go to school" in the US?

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
But don't you say "go to school" in the US?

Good point! And that gets into an aspect of this that I thought of saying in the other post but didn't want to take up more space. smile

The thing is, those words in British apparently have a slightly different additional connotation -- as is the case for the word "school" in the U.S. When we say "go to school," the word has a slightly different, broader meaning than when we say go to a school.

The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article. I'm guessing that in the U.K., they do.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The thing is, those words in British apparently have a slightly different additional connotation -- as is the case for the word "school" in the U.S. When we say "go to school," the word has a slightly different, broader meaning than when we say go to a school.
Yes, I'd noticed that you use "school" for just about every educational institution. Here we'd never say "school starts again this week" about college, or university, or anything other than, well, school, the school you go to from the age of 5-18 (approximately).
The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article.
But "college" does have this broader meaning, like the way we use "university", yes?

Du holde Kunst...
But "college" does have this broader meaning, like the way we use "university", yes?

Yes, you're right!! That didn't occur to me.
Nice job.
You have a good ear for these things! smile

B
B
Yes, I'd noticed that you use "school" for just about every educational institution. Here we'd never say "school starts again this week" about college, or university, or anything other than, well, school, the school you go to from the age of 5-18 (approximately).
The words "university" and "hospital" don't have such an additional broader meaning in the U.S, and that's why it sounds a little strange for us to hear them without any article.

I used to think it odd that when chatting to Americans of well beyond school age, they say they go to school, until I realized they meant a higher establishment like university.

Luckily, most other ex-British colonies wink still use 'school' and 'university' in a manner understandable to us. Somehow, saying that you go to "Oxford School" doesn't sound as impressive as going to Oxford University. I wonder if "Harvard School" is just as good as Harvard University.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by bennevis
....I wonder if "Harvard School" is just as good as Harvard University.....

A while back Bill Maher did a what-if 1799 version of his old Politically Incorrect show. One of the panelists said "Harvard School." It sounded pretty funny.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
The thread has somewhat departed from the original question.

And, I feel, I have to repeat my previous point:

That is, the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.

I don't care for the other *cheats* the OP might consider, but I feel responsible at least to point out that dropping the top C in the first octave is totally a wrong *cheat*.

Sorry for interrupting the hijack.

Originally Posted by Hakki
....the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.

Agree completely -- and I hadn't noticed anyone saying they don't!
(I went back and do see it in the OP, loud and clear.)

It has to be the octave.
Has to be. smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Yeah. smile

Sorry, I'm still learning American usage, sometimes this can be awkward. Yet when I talk to my mother in London, sometimes SHE can't figure out my Catch 22.

Jason
Online Content
Originally Posted by Hakki

That is, the opening C-c octave of the op. 10 no.1 etude is musically very important, therefore it has to be played as an octave.
The OP didn't suggest otherwise.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission