2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
madzr Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi guys, I need an advice on choosing a decent DP: I've been reading lots of threads on this topic, but I really couldn't find an answer to my "dilemma"!
I am studying Information Engineering away from home: I am now living in an apartment where I want to practice at night, so I don't care about the quality of speakers (I will mostly use the DP with my sennheiser's hd 580): the only thing that I want is a fairly good keyboard to practice fingering on pieces like Bach fugues, Beethoven sonatas, Chopin etudes etc. (oh, and at least the possibility of connecting 2 pedals: damper and una corda).

I have tried a few pianos in my local store, from the cheap Casio px-150, to the more expensive Clavinovas clp/cvp and hybrid pianos (that are jaw-dropping!).
Unfortunately my budget is not high at all, around 1000€, so I am NOT going to consider any of the high-end clps or kawais (unfortunately, I haven't had the possibility to try any of the latter).

I've heard good things about yamaha's P155 and Casio PX-150 (I've tried both and I like the Yamaha more); but I recently have seen on Yamaha's site this new arius model, the YDP-S51 (that I can't find in any of my local stores), which has, on the paper, the same GH action of the P155, better "tone generating technology" (pure cf vs awm, 4 layers), 3 pedals and costs about 200 euros less than the p155! (How, and why?)

Has anyone tried this new model? How does it compare to the p155 or casio's px150?
I am fully open to your suggestions,
Thanks in advance! smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
IMO you should look for or wait for the S51. I like the P-155 we have a lot. We both preferred it to the Casio.
Did not know about the S51.
On the other hand, there will always be something better coming.

M
madzr Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for your response.
I agree that the p155 is better than the px150: now I hope to find someone who tried both the p155 and the s51 and will give me a feedback!
(But any other suggestion in the 0-1200€ price range is welcome!)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
I'm a bit surprised that there is very little information on the internet (reviews, demonstrations, etc.) about the new S51. How long does it normally take for new models to catch on????? I'd love to try one out for myself. Right now I'm trying to decide between a CP-33 and a P-155. Might delay that decision a bit longer.......

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
The P155 is very, very often recommended in this forum primarily because in the US it is a super-good buy. Significantly less expensive than its peers. It's generally (or used to be) kind of true that stage-type pianos are cheap in the US while consoles are expensive--perhaps in recognition of the fact that pro musicians are poor and people buying pianos for the living room are less so. In Europe you tend to find the reverse situation, where the retailers want to bleed the pros.

Now, the P155 is not exactly a pro instrument, but the form factor lends itself to gigging and other activities a pro might engage in.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the Arius line is cheaper than the P series in Europe and the reverse is true in the US. So your best bet is to grab an arius unless you need the portability.

M
madzr Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am surprised too for the lack of information relating to the s51!

gvfarns, you're right: here the p155 costs about 1100€, whether the price of a brand new s51 is around 900€, and I truly can't figure out the why of this big difference in their price: the s51 is newer and -at least on the paper- better than the p155. Is it possible that Yamaha makes us pay 200€ more for an older product, only for its form factor (and so its portability)?

I hope that I will be able to try it in a near future, but for now I have to rely on someone who already did!
My questions are: is it a solid instrument? Is the keyboard really the same one of the p155's? How does it sound through its speakers and headphones? Is it comparable to superior models like the clp-430?
Can someone list some pros and cons of this product?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I recently played the s51 at a Yamaha dealer (have yet to see it at the chain stores).
First off, it is more of a console of course than the P155. Second, I found it to have a nice darker general tone compared to the P155.
Even though it uses the same Pure CF sound engine as the P105 I would describe it as sounding more "woody" than the P105 and more pleasant.
I played some of the CLP's such as the 406,408,470; one of the key differences is some of those models offer 4 variations of the grand piano; perhaps 4 speakers with more wattage.'
The arius has the main piano sound, a brighter variation and 2 speakers total; which is not a bad thing- you just get a little more with the CLP.
I assume you are not considering the 105 because of GHS- I know people don't like it here and I can understand,

Now here, the P155 is $1,000 (can get for $850) after coupon but the dealer told me the YDP S51 was either $1800 or $1900- which I think was ticketed high.

I would still though get the S51 though over the 155

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
madzr Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the useful feedback: I am really leaning towards the s51 right now!
I will probably order it online, even if I have never tried it before.
Other feedbacks would be very very welcome, thank you all for the support!

I wonder if the small framed S51 and similar models proguced by other manufacturers will take off - one would be ideal for my house, and I could gig with it too if necessary.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission