2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2015518 01/16/13 03:27 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Have you received the flu shot, and if not, why not? I'm concerned because I live in an area that is one of the regions hit hard by the flu virus. Also, given the nature of our careers, we are at higher risk for getting the flu. Unfortunately, many times I end up teaching children who are sick or have a family member home with the flu.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
My pediatrician says there are certain vax for what he calls economic diseases. Chicken Pox and the flu namely. If you can afford to miss work or have a child out of school then they are not going to cause economic hardship, so it's a vax of convenience.

If there is little or no health insurance, you don't get paid, etc, get the shots. smile

I am lucky though - if I am sick, I still get paid.

Last edited by MaggieGirl; 01/16/13 04:04 PM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Depends on your body. Someone takes the flu shot just fine without much side effects.

But the flu shot gave me *all* the flu symptoms that lasted almost 10 days. I wasn't infectious, but the immune system fought it like real thing and it felt like a real thing.

For me it is a dilemma:
*Take the risk, either get lucky and don't get sick at all or get really sick, and the probably together with the whole family.
*Take the shot and get moderately sick.

Of course my personal experience has no scientific value.
You might be the ones that don't get much side effects.

Good luck!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, I got mine two days ago.
We work with children, it is important to protect ourselves, our family and also the children that we work with.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I know I'll eat my words, but I believe in getting sick.

P
P
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
I know I'll eat my words, but I believe in getting sick.

Before I started teaching so much, I almost never was sick. Then, I believed in my good immune system - which terribly failed. I ended up catching the flu from my students (mostly 15- to 20-year-olds who go to school sick, because they don't want to miss lessons) several time during the flu season.
Now, I usually have a flu shot in late November and it helps so much. This way, I only have to be concerned about not catching colds, which is so much easier.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Flu shot...most people don't get adverse reactions, unless you are allergic to eggs.

As a health care person, this is one of the worst seasons I have ever seen.

WASH YOUR HANDs, and don't touch your face!

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I've been getting the flu shot for years. Never had a reaction, and have avoided the flu as well.

I'm not only protecting myself, but everybody I might have spread the flu to if I'd caught it and passed it on.

This year it was a bit different. The needle is much thinner, I didn't feel the usual stick. It did hurt a bit more the next day though.

gotta go practice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I get the flu shot every year. I'm in a service industry that puts me in front of lots of people. So is my wife. The flu is very debilitating in so many ways.

I have only had the flu once during that time period, and I wouldn't have known that the "cold" I had actually was the flu absent a test. The symptoms were really weakened. Once I knew I had the flu I added an antiviral to the mix and it went away quickly. At this point, I would never NOT get the shot. Love that double negative.

TimR #2015787 01/16/13 10:04 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by TimR
I'm not only protecting myself, but everybody I might have spread the flu to if I'd caught it and passed it on.
thumb Yes, and some of those people might be a whole lot more vulnerable to its effects than you. I think many people forget this aspect of it.

Du holde Kunst...
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
And less people forget what can happen...

The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920)[1] was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic which infected 500 million[2] people across the world, including remote Pacific islands and the arctic, and killed 20 to 50 million of them—1 to 3 percent of the world's population[

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It should be a no-brainer, get the shot (assuming no egg allergy, as previously mentioned and no concurrent moderate/severe illness).
There is no guarantee you won't still get the flu, but it lessens the risk of both acquiring and severity thereof.

I personally favor the injection as it is a "dead" virus (layman's terminology) whereas the nasal formulation is a live virus.
You CANNOT get influenza from the injection, HOWEVER...it is possible (yes, this happens!) you were already exposed to either influenza peri-shot time or another similar virus and, hence, the birth of " I got the flu from the flu vaccine " mania.

I don't know SQUAT about teaching piano, but "this" is what I do in order to make enough money to PAY for a piano teacher (not to mention food and shelter, the other necessities of life) smile

As an aside, it's not too late to get it now and remember, for next year: Oct/Nov is ideal.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

I always shoot for November. I have done it in December on occasion, when inertia and other procrastination has gripped me.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Flu shot for me every year, as soon as it becomes available.

I work with kids. Lots of kids who drool, spit, bite, cough, sneeze, mouth objects and furniture...you get the idea and if you worked there, you'd get a flu shot too!

Learner
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I got a flu shot last week, hoping it wasn't too late. Didn't hurt till the next day and then my arm was VERY SORE, all the way down to the fingers. Out here in CA we haven't had the big outbreak yet but it's coming. Here's to good health, everyone!

Piano Teacher
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Yes, I got mine two days ago.
We work with children, it is important to protect ourselves, our family and also the children that we work with.

ezpiano, I have been asking all my students and parents if they got the flu shot or plan to get it, and almost all said no. If I get the flu shot, it may protect me, but there is only a 62% chance that it prevent the flu, given all the varying strains out there. I am extremely sensitive to medications and suffered debilitating vertigo for a year from taking a particular med one year.

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Mark...
Flu shot...most people don't get adverse reactions, unless you are allergic to eggs.

As a health care person, this is one of the worst seasons I have ever seen.

WASH YOUR HANDs, and don't touch your face!

Washing my hands and keeping them away from my face is extremely important, as you said. I sanitize the piano, keep sanitizer and tissues at the piano, but somehow the little ones manage to forget and use fingers instead of tissues, sneeze, cough. I am sitting inches from them, and by the end of a long day, I feel like I should have worn a hazmat suit. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've never had a flu shot. During the winter I stock up on Bio-Immunozyme Forte by Biotics and I haven't even had a cold this season. I work with toddlers as well as older kids so I'm extra careful about spreading germs, handwashing, antibacterial wipes, etc...

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Here's an article that may be of interest.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/06/flu-vaccine-efficacy.aspx

This is pointing out that there are risks in taking a vaccine. And you'll notice that when you go for a flu shot, you will be required to sign a form that states you have been informed that there is a small risk of serious side effects or even death.

I would not agree that the decision is a "no brainer". I think careful consideration is in order.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 01/17/13 01:52 PM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I've never had a flu shot. I've gotten the flu only once that I remember in my adult life. So for me, I don't worry about it. Other things are more important: eating a balanced, high quality supper at the same time every evening makes a big difference. I notice a lot of people eat very poorly, so I'm not surprised they get sick a lot. They also rush around too much.

Send me a pm if you want details on nutrition and lifestyle improvement.

If handwashing was "THE" prevention, how do you explain the people who wash their hands regularly getting sick? I've never understood that.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission