2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by adak

Lets take the 3k pounds example, buying a 3k pounds upright and play it for 10 years, it would still be a keeper. However if you buy a top of the line 3k pound yamaha cp1 stage piano, no way you will keep it after 10 years the advances in technology would have made it obsolete long ago. Replacing the digital would mean paying more money, making more expensive than buying an acoustical piano in the first place.

AP: $3000
CP1:$3000

10 years later:
AP : tuning @ every 8 month for $120, cost 1.8K, can sell for 2K
CP1: no tuning cost, can sell for $300

Adjusted residual value:
AP: $300 (+/- $1000)
CP1:$300 (+/- $300)

The AP is still the same AP, with a bit of wear and tear.
The CP1 is still the same CP1, with a bit of marks and dents.

Monetary value of 10 years of investment: worthless
Enjoyment value of 10 years of music : priceless

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by zapper
Originally Posted by offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

[Linked Image]

Classic !!! LOL

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PattyP
I'm thinking the OP is a troll, considering his join date and post history.

Is there an "ignore" function on PW?

He might be a troll or somewhere a village might be missing a idiot.

But at least it's more entertaining then "Does a PX-150 have a plastic pedal"

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

For many pro players, digitals exist for only one reason---work/gigging. smile cool

Yeah but then it gets easier to use a DP or VST then to mic up your grand, then you become lazy. People think I'm a DP apologist but forget I've got two real acoustic grand pianos at home. Given a choice ...you would like to always prefer the real thing but practicality's often mean the opposite is true.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kippesc
While you're saving your money for that Steinway D (does the price jump about 5% each year [$6,000]?), you may find that the Roland RD700-NX (Studio Grand setting) through headphones is useful as a practice instrument.

The Studio grand is better then that ... it's the nicest piano ever in a DP and better then most VST pianos.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After lurking on these DP threads for the last 3 years, and spending God knows how much on DPs, i finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic piano. I can say with all honesty, I feel your pain. I owned one of the highest end DPs ($8,000!!) in my AvantGrand N1, and after 18 months, I decided it was just not satisfying. Every time I stepped behind even a decent grand, heck even a baby grand, I felt right at home. It sounds stupid, but acoustic pianos, with all the natural resonance and warmth pull music out of me. Digitals never really did. The closest thing is probably that new Fazioli sample in my Nord Piano 2. There's a certain magic with acoustic pianos which is why the DP manufacturers spend millions trying to duplicate the experience. There's more to the acoustic piano than modeled sounds, unlooped samples, supernatural decay, graded action, ivory feel keys, triple pedals, and polished cabinets with high end speakers.

With that said, the better DPs have their purpose and will only get closer and closer to the acoustic experience.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I could be playing on my old Yamaha P120 and I'd bet my house most wouldn't notice the difference in sound. frown

I'll match your house and raise you another two ....

The fact is ... in a mix nobody (even a concert pianist) would know and 95+% of people wouldn't know in a solo.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris H.

I think the main problem with acoustic pianos these days is price. I teach around fifty students and not one of them can get anywhere near being able to afford a nice grand piano. Even a decent upright costs an arm and a leg. to my students .

Most definitely. The ap manufacturers have practically priced themselves out of the market....at least with respect to players, teachers or aspiring players.

I couldn't believe the price, new, for that high end Yamaha upright..the model # escapes me right now. But I think it was over 12K, for an upright !

The only way a quality grand for most is even remotely obtainable is by buying used. It's so tragic because you have so many great players (both pro and serious hobbyists), along with dedicated teachers that are SO deserving that might never have the means ( much less the space to put it in) to acquire something nice. I can't begin tell you how many gigs/private parties I've played over the years in people's homes on a high end instrument that is nothing more then a piece of furniture to them. frown

Given the prices I totally get why people are turning to digitals. Heck I paid only $13,250 + Ca. tax for my Yamaha C7E in 1985 from Fields Piano in Orange County. What do they go for, new, today for God's sakes ?! I'm not into cars at all, but I'm fairly certain you could buy a mid-priced Lexus for what a new C7 sells for. cry

I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoZac
I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile
Those grands might be more expensive but I need even more money to buy a house to put a used six foot Baldwin in. Grands don't work in apartments. For that matter neither do uprights. So, what is a pianist to do?

I think your love for music and piano trumps the OP's impressions of the lowly DP's out in the real world.

I'd love to read the forums that Bach, Chopin and Beethoven subscribed to and read their heated debates about how crappy the pianos were in those centuries.

Last edited by 36251; 02/01/13 10:11 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by 36251

I'd love to read the forums that Bach, Chopin and Beethoven subscribed to and read their heated debates about how crappy the pianos were in those centuries.

Here's the state-of-the-art keyboard of the era: http://youtu.be/gcyPrOVYRVk

Crappy or expressive? Or crappy and expressive (note the vibrato)? grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Today's $2K DPs ... is there a point in history where APs were worse than what we have today for DPs?

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

... I'm actually working for Porsche Cars North America now, and I can tell you, the better grand pianos, especially Steinways, Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Faziolis, etc cost more than many of our cars. That's ridiculous. They're farther out of reach than freakin Porsches! Now, I'd gladly pay over $100,000 for a high end grand piano vs a car because I have my priorities straight. smile

I'm driving an older, paid-off Toyota for a reason, Zac!

Last edited by ClsscLib; 02/02/13 12:10 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I wouldn't get too worked up, guys. The OP is the same guy who wants these to be available in North America and Europe, so he can't be THAT anti-digital:

[Linked Image]

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021919/Let%27s%20get%20together%20and%20demand%20.html#Post2021919

I guess I'll chime in while I'm here. It was mentioned before, but the sheer utility value of the digital piano is worth its weight in gold. Sometimes the goal is to make live piano music accessible to listeners. It's not always for the player. Modern music and musical theatre would not be where it is today without DP's and synths. Sometimes (not always) it seems like these rants are the product of "ah, I'll just blame the instrument!"

Les C Deal

"Today's $2K DPs ... is there a point in history where APs were worse than what we have today for DPs?"

That is nonsense and you know it. "Bridge over Troubled Water" awaits you and any other, my friend. If you and your piano are up to it . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
O
After lurking on these DP threads for the last 3 years, and spending God knows how much on DPs, i finally pulled the trigger on an acoustic piano. I can say with all honesty, I feel your pain. I owned one of the highest end DPs ($8,000!!) in my AvantGrand N1, and after 18 months, I decided it was just not satisfying. Every time I stepped behind even a decent grand, heck even a baby grand, I felt right at home. It sounds stupid, but acoustic pianos, with all the natural resonance and warmth pull music out of me. Digitals never really did.  

I told you digital pianos suck...

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I find this argument from the OP bizarre, frankly, this is the same person who claims to believe that an organ makes a passable representation of an instrument, but a digital piano doesn't, as somebody else has said, seems to be just trying to stir it up.

www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2021919/Let's%20get%20together%20and%20demand%20.html#Post2021919

So he's going to buy one of those and piano?

Originally Posted by CHAS
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by offnote
I told you, digital pianos are like dildos....

A rather crude analogy based, I'm assuming, on your personal experience with both.......

ad hominem
When you can't win, attack the messenger.

And how are you doing any different?

You are also attacking a messanger because you don't like the message, the fact is, we often become the person we despise or ridicule!

Originally Posted by zapper
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

"Who are we fooling - digitals are junk at this juncture "

Actually the real truth is that if digital pianos were such junk no-one would buy one, therefore the basic logic of your argument is flawed, as thousands of digital pianos are sold around the world, presumably, judging from the somewhat supercilious comments that have been made occasionally, to cloth-eared, foolish beginners with no idea what a piano sounds like!

well, number of sells has nothing to do with it, you have junk music on MTV and it's selling well so I don't see a flowed logic here from OP.

Why?
You deny that the fact that a large majority of people who, I imagine, know what a piano sounds like have no bearing whatsoever on the facts. OK, you can deny it but the truth is still out there but you don't buy junk, it's only everybody else?

You seemed to ignore the rest of my post where significant global educational organisations see fit to use them, I notice.

Are they all the equal of MTV?

What I am saying is that a digital piano is most certainly not "junk", and yes, that is proven by the number of sales. If they were junk everybody would avoid them.

Doubtless there are those who will think that this proves the OP claim that anybody playing a digital piano will never be good enough to really test it?
And doubtless, those defending his view agree with him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1PkF9anJI

I would love somebody to tell me why it doesn't sound like a piano and is a load of, "junk".

Really, indefensible, vacuous and wildy inaccurate comment. How can anybody defend such a remark?

Could it possibly be that some acoustic dinosours need to update their (psychological) model?

Of course, I agree with the post that said nobody is claiming digitals are better than a well maintained, and extremly expensive, acoustic grand.

But "junk" they ain't, pure and simple.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 02/02/13 07:40 AM.
Originally Posted by gvfarns
One thing the OP said rings true: digitals are often overhyped. On the other hand, acoustics tend to be overhyped as well. Corporations have marketing departments specifically to overhype their products.
Well said, that is one of the most important missions of marketing.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Temperament
Originally Posted by gvfarns
One thing the OP said rings true: digitals are often overhyped. On the other hand, acoustics tend to be overhyped as well. Corporations have marketing departments specifically to overhype their products.
Well said, that is one of the most important missions of marketing.

I don't really think marketing plays a big role in people's feelings about acoustic pianos. Acoustics are a known quantity, and haven't changed substantially in a hundred years. The reason digital piano manufacturers use highly persuasive marketing is because they are trying to get closer to replicating the experience of a real piano. So every new advancement toward that end tends to be presented as a glorious advancement. The fact that DPs are still quite a way off the experience of an acoustic is immaterial to them. They are pushing the things that do get them closer to their goal, rather than mentioning the limitations that keep them away from their goal. Anybody who's played a nice acoustic knows what they are about. DPs are playing catch-up, hence the marketing hyperbole.

Z
Z
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

Why?
You deny that the fact that a large majority of people who, I imagine, know what a piano sounds like have no bearing whatsoever on the facts. OK, you can deny it but the truth is still out there but you don't buy junk, it's only everybody else?

yes, I deny fact that masses opinions count.
People are being fooled all the time and the bigger the group the easier is to accomplish this.

BTW, calling digital pianos "junk" by OP was most likely figure of speech to make his point. Don't take it literally. I have two of those expensive "junk" keyboards at my "junkyard" studio and I enjoy them from time to time. The point is even the cheapest acoustic beats any digital piano sounds and feel wise.
I prefer even slightly out of tune acoustic then top of the line digital piano, but there is a time and place for both of course.

All true and false. One personal argument: in my childhood I had a Förster baby grand in parents house to play on, and while it was a highly appreciated instrument in the vicinity, I have got tenosynovitis from practising on it - a lifelong condition. Without the aid of some soft and very consistent digital keyboard I doubt I cold have restart with 50 ys. again. (My vintage acoustic has a very light action, a special thing too.)

Hype or not - digital is a bless for me.

Many digital SW pianos are ahead of DPs, by a large margin sound wise some even of high-end cabinet instruments. There is no technological reason that this gap will not be filled within 1-2 Ys. with as leap. (We see already DPs with 1 GB builtIn samples; NUMA Concert) Modelling is just a newborn technology. Keyboards are mechanical constructs and can be reused even refined in digital. All prereqisites are already there for a steep improvement.

The whole debates are de-ja-vue, all resembling to the debates about DP ( = Digital Photography) for a decade or so. I don't want to spend much idle time with these questions (unless they are contributing to improvements). The result is today nobody is buying a digital camera anymore (just a camera - which is digital.)

Just wait for a decade or so. I am not willing to waste my precious time by fighting or defending myths - futile.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission