2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello
I am close to have a brand new SH-type silent yamaha piano.
There is a new feature that allows to connect an output speaker.
What I'd like to is to plug an bluetooth transmitter and to get bluetooth speakers.
I would like these speakers to be paired also with my Ipad.
What would you suggest me for the speakers ?
Thank you if you can advice me.
Regards

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Nothing available that would remotely be acceptable that would have bluetooth/iPad connectivity.
Why do you need speakers for the piano ..it has a real sound baord as well ? Surely you would only have it on silent mode when you wanted it to be silent and silent means headphones not speakers. What you want to do makes no sense to me.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for your answer and interest
You are right about the fact that silent means headphones.
But the new SH-system on Grand piano makes it possible to plug also some speakers.
so there are two kind of connectors :
- 2 mini stereo Jack for HEadphones
- 2 phone jack for Speaker output

What yamaha says :
- Newly fitted with speaker output function
- Speaker output terminals have been newly added to the GM unit installed at the bottom of the tenor section of SH type pianos. By connecting speakers equipped with built-in amplifiers to these output terminals, the performance conducted in "Silent" mode can be output through the speakers.
- Speaker output terminals also support TRS phone jacks, which are highly noise-resistant and thus suitable for use in music performances, such as those on stages, that require long cables.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A quality piano deserves a quality speaker sound system.
Skip bluetooth. The quality isn't there.
Instead, get a proper pair of speakers.

M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I thought that the newest bluetooth technology was good enough.

What I want is to have the "best sound possible" without plugging any audio cables.
The piano will be primarily acoustic, and I would like to keep this traditional picture of an acoustic piano ... with the magic of a sound coming from nowhere !

So any acceptable experience with a wireless speaker, connected to a transmitter.

the transmitter part of the schema is also unfamiliar to me.
is it important ? I mean is there different level of quality ?

I
I
So you're about to spend thousands of dollars into a silent piano... and you want to plug in speakers to its output...

I don't understand this. Silent pianos offer the possibility to play silently, and 1) you never needed TRS speakers out or that kind of "improvement" Yamaha adds, because almost any amplified speakers would do just as fine with an adapted cable through the phone output (Yamaha is selling an extra plug to you, what for an improvement!) 2) if you are to play at loud, you don't need speakers, and if you do, because of the noise of the action in silent mode and because of the poor ability of any speaker to amplify a dp decently, you'll have to turn the volume quite loud to get any sensation at all, the sound will be coming from the speakers, which you'll probably set up too far from one another and from the piano to have only the impression you're playing a piano, and mostly what you'll hear won't please you (can't you just use a headphone?) Plus speakers near piano is really a ugly setup.

If you're not to play at loud at all, why are you only buying an silent piano?

If you really want to play the very average Yamaha silent dp (with the new samples but still very average) through speakers, you have to buy amplified studio monitors, Yamaha make some, many brands do, starting price for a decent solution 300-500$ each speaker. And you'll be deceived. You should record your dp on a cd, and get into a music shop selling studio monitors, and ask to listen to your recording through various speakers to choose the one you dislike the less...

Unless you go for a very expansive professional stage wireless solution, if it only exists, you won't find anything reliable and decent (I guess you'd get latency, parasite noises, poor speakers and sound) in the consumer electronics market.

Could you please explain what need you would have to buy extra speakers to play your silent piano, what situation it would involve, and for what purpose?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MARC_FR
Thank you for your answer and interest
You are right about the fact that silent means headphones.
But the new SH-system on Grand piano makes it possible to plug also some speakers.
so there are two kind of connectors :
- 2 mini stereo Jack for HEadphones
- 2 phone jack for Speaker output

What yamaha says :
- Newly fitted with speaker output function
- Speaker output terminals have been newly added to the GM unit installed at the bottom of the tenor section of SH type pianos. By connecting speakers equipped with built-in amplifiers to these output terminals, the performance conducted in "Silent" mode can be output through the speakers.
- Speaker output terminals also support TRS phone jacks, which are highly noise-resistant and thus suitable for use in music performances, such as those on stages, that require long cables.

That doesn't answer my question ... WHY would you want to connect speakers ? There is no reason to connect speakers ...

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I understand my post seems a bit weird ..
so let me explain what I would like to do.

the main prupose of my piano will be, of course, to play at loud

say 60% of the time
I will play 35% of the time in the silent mode and my headphones

the 5% remaining would be to share the silent experience with friends or so
for example, by playing the piano on an CD player plugged in or by by playing on a MIDI IN file, and maybe with somebody singing with me ...
anyway to have fun

M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
silent mode is very personal.
I would just like to be able to share it

Quality is not the main objective, but I wonder if there could exist some kind of wireless device to play the sound

Of course it would be a very limited kind of use, and most of the piano would be used at loud or by headphones.
That's why I was firstly asking for something compatible with my i-devices (ipod/iphone/ipad)

Am I enough clear ? (despite the poor english ..)

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I don't think the "silent experience" is really something to be shared. You would be better off buying a extra DP say a P105 in order to play midi files and have sing alongs. Any speakers you buy will need to have mic inputs and be at least 8" in order to reproduce a decent sound and its going to cost at least $500.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
This will do exactly what you want .... It has a 3.5mm input jack for a iPod, mic inputs, and sounds quite good.

http://www.thomann.de/fr/roland_ba330_amp.htm

M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you Dr Popper
You really tried to understand my needs and that's kind of you.
This post makes me think a little bit more about what I really want.
I thought that I could deal with this for $200 max !
It seems more complicated than what my little brain was imagining!
talking about my brain .. it's relatively bounded ..
so maybe I'm going to try with an entry level speaker (even if it has cables) just to check the need. That will cost me a minimum.
And then, If I validate the need, i will probably try to drop another grand ...

A
A
I have two of these studio monitors hooked up to my Schimmel silent piano: http://www.thomann.de/fr/genelec_8040apm_aktiver_studiomonitor.htm
Since the silent piano's built-in sounds are awful, I have the piano and the monitors connected to my computer running pianoteq http://www.pianoteq.com/ through this external sound card with midi ports: http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=610&pid=15185
It took a bit of ingenuity to get everything up and running, but the results are fairly spectacular.
When I went to the expense and trouble of getting this set up, I was contemplating getting an Avantgrand or a v-piano. As far as I'm concerned, I now have the best of both worlds: an acoustic of this caliber is sheer joy, and when I can't play full out because of the neighbors, I can play using the "silent" function with the volume set way down and not have to deal with headphones (which I detest).

M
MARC_FR Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Exactly the kind of experience I wanted to share
Thank you for posting, Andrew !

since the yamaha silent system comes with a CFX sound source, maybe I don't need the pianoteg interface ?

what I'm targetting is: less quality but more simplicity
If somebody have any other experience, I will read it with pleasure and interest

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission