2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
P
Here's a little item I have observed/pondered over the years in my own teaching, and I'd be curious to hear from others of you. How many hours do you need before you are fully awake, "in fighting trim," and ready to give your first piano student of the day your best, from the time you get out of bed in the morning?

I'm very slow to become fully with it in the mornings. For me I have found it's two hours at a minimum, and preferably three, before I start teaching.

And a follow-up question: does your answer depend at all on how much sleep you had the night before, and how good the quality of sleep was? For me I'd say no, it's 2-3 hours of waking up regardless.

C
C
I've thought about this too. For me, the earliest I would want to start on any given day is 11 or 12. I normally wake up around 8:30 and need time to eat a good breakfast, maybe go to the gym, or just have "me time."

But, it also depends on how many students I have during the day. When I was teaching full time at a music school, I had one day where I had an 11:30-12:15 student, followed by a 45 minute break, followed by teaching from 1-7 without a break. That schedule made the 11:30 student seem dreadful and completely undesirable. Now, on days where I have an early student I try to schedule it so that I'm done a little earlier on those days (4 or 5 rather than 7 or 8).

In general though, if I could have a schedule that was say 9-2 or 10-3 every day, rather than 2-7, I would take it because I'd rather have afternoons off than mornings. Unfortunately, that's not really an option in this profession.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think it depends who the first student of the day is!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I like my mornings for personal practice and afternoons for teaching.

rada

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I teach my early childhood music classes at 9:30. If I'm not quite awake when I arrive to teach, I certainly am after 30 minutes of 10 two-year-olds.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'd far rather teach first thing in the morning. I guess I only need an hour to breakfast, shower, dress, open up the studio and get things ready. I could happily start at 7am, and I think I'd be at my best. Some years ago when I lived near a school, I used to have a number of children come for their lesson at 7.00 or 8.00, then walk along to school. I always found they were the most productive lessons - the kids were alert, and so was I.

Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
I teach my early childhood music classes at 9:30. If I'm not quite awake when I arrive to teach, I certainly am after 30 minutes of 10 two-year-olds.
haha - I know what you mean. laugh

Du holde Kunst...
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I'm very slow to become fully with it in the mornings. For me I have found it's two hours at a minimum, and preferably three, before I start teaching.

But, Peter,

Prior to the last couple of milder days, it has been ZERO during each night. Now, I am not a physicist, and only a part-time doctor, but I do know that all matter -- brain matter, included -- S-L-O-W-S D-O-W-N when it gets cold. Something about that troublesome molecular activity, or something . . .

(Oops - forgot my name for a second . . .) Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Last year, I had a 7:45 AM student. It was WONDERFUL! I loved that time of my mind being fully clear. I usually wake at 6:00 am

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I prefer to teach in mornings. But most students are not available at that time. I really detest 8:00 PM lessons. Probably because I put the worst students at the end of the day.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
One of my college students told me this morning he tries to be very prepared for his lessons because he is my first student and he wants me to have a good start to my day. Isn't that thoughtful? (And he IS always prepared!)

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's so sweet, Minniemay!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I really don't mind morning lessons, but I don't have any. If I did, I'd end up teaching all day long, and I don't really care to go from 8am-8pm. I use my mornings for "me time" which entails Bible study, making breakfast and the rest of the meals for the day if it's a late night of teaching, taking care of bills, cleaning, practicing voice and piano, and of course, posting on this forum. smile

For some reason there just don't seem to be enough hours in the morning for me. Many things that I'd like to do and have time for in the evening after teaching and dinner, I just don't have the mental capacity for it. Once in a while I can practice some piano or voice, but usually my voice is too tired.

My ideal day would be to teach at 8am until about 3pm and then be off for the rest of the day. But when would that ever happen except if I taught Saturday mornings?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Peter,

It depends on what you mean by "need". smile

It is nice to have 3 hours in the morning before teaching. My earliest students are at 12:30 pm.

If I started teaching on Saturdays, I would offer 10 am lessons. It would probably be a little disruptive to home life though with the rest of the family wanting quiet and privacy on Saturday morning.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Edit: I would need one less hour if I could break the compulsion of seeing what's up on PW.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
You could also ask how long the students need before their lesson!

When I'm teaching in school I start at 8am and those kids are barely awake. I much prefer the days where I teach only in the evenings and have the day to myself though.

Pianist and piano teacher.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission