2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The monthly depository of compositions from PianoWorld members!

FEBURARY

This is where we, the pianoworld members and composers offer our compositions free of charge to the rest of the pianoworld members!

Compositions are copyrighted at all times to their respectful owners.

At any time one can delete their compositions in this thread. Though this is not nice, there might be reasons to do so. However, be aware that after some time has passed you can NOT edit your post, in which case you'll need to delete the file from the servers.

If you have troubles uploading, finding webspace, offering or htmling, just let me know. I'm only a PM away, or an email away. It's very easy to get a hold of me!

And if you want, offer your insights on your own works. Offer the score, or the recording. Offer both, or offer your ideas as well. Write as much as you'd like, or as little. Share with us your thoughts about your own works... and when you're done with that, share your thoughts and your feedback about the works of others. Offer and receive!

Finally... enjoy...

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
And here's my work for this month...

Inspired by Ed's quartet, I thought I'd also post a string quartet! It's in a completely different style than his, and was composed quite a few years ago, but none the less I think it holds plenty of interest!

http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff/intmusic.mp3

and the score:
http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/intmusic.pdf

So... enjoy and looking forward to your comments and your own works! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas,

I enjoyed it but I don't quite understand it. smile

If that makes any sense...

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,

That's fine. I guess that will be the reaction to a lot here... There's a lack of melody, and a very fine tuning of aesthetics I think (<- Talking about my own work... hehe...).

Since you've enjoyed it, give it another couple of listens, if you can... Perhaps it will sink in. Otherwise I'm here and you can ask me whatever you want! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas

Since you've enjoyed it, give it another couple of listens, if you can... Perhaps it will sink in.

I definitely will. I understand the importance of this. In fact, I once showed my mom Chopin's 4th scherzo and she said she didn't like it and quote: "It doesn't know what kind of piece it wants to be..."

.......... mad ..........

Not even I, the biggest Chopin-head on earth, liked the 4th scherzo on my first few listens. And now it's my favorite piece! grin

E
E
My first contribution here. I have written music intermittently for 27 years, but still feel like a beginner. I was startled and a bit chagrined to recently realize that I had never actually used Sonata Form before.

In addition, I have rarely written for piano. My first instrument was drums! I do play guitar but mainly compose at the laptop.

Since I am not so versed at piano, I could probably use some advice for the score.

First, I don't have a clear idea of the difficulty of the piece. There are several places where I suspect that it would be easiest to recruit the left hand to assist with the treble part, using pedal to sustain the bass. If this is true, should I alter the score to reflect that, or maybe just simplify the music.

Second, I don't have a great understanding of the pedal, and in any case, my software doesn't seem capable of pedal markings. Is it OK just to trust the performer here? A couple places where I thought ties would be messy, I just marked "let ring" and hoped that the performer can decide whether to sustain with fingers or foot.

Theme-wise, I wonder if the development section is sufficiently "developy". It spends quite a while on material from the intro, which appears again in the coda. But relatively little time breaking down themes A and B.

In general, I think I will be using this Sonata Form a lot in the future! Can't believe I have neglected it so long!

mp3 at http://www.chasmys.com/music/Sonatina_in_G_Sharp_Minor.mp3

score at http://www.chasmys.com/music/Sonatina_in_G_Sharp_Minor.pdf

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Eric,

First of all very much welcome to the forums and to this thread specifically!

Secondly, that's a nice composition there... There's quite some interest in the harmony going on although rhythmically it's a bit dull, if you allow me to say so... The performance is a bit 'meh'... And it's drowned in reverb, but in any case it gives a very clear understanding on what's going on...

Now to your music and your questions then...

The one thing that hit me immediately was that there wasn't enough difference between theme A and theme B. It felt a bit the same (and I think that the rhythm is more to blame here than anything else).

Apart from that there's enough development so that's fine... It is a sonata, albeit a little bit weird, but still it counts as one! smile

On your questions on the score: It's SO clean, it's supper clean, yet there are several things that could be altered:

1. First of all, in reality the 8bv sign is not needed, as you don't really venture too far down. You could just deleted the whole 8vb sign and put the notes one octave lower. As I understand it you're not a pianist, and as such you're probably not used to too many low notes, but most pianist are fine with these...

If you are to use the 8vb sign, it should be BELLOW the staff, not above (because only the 8va sign goes there)...

2. Dynamics should be bigger and only once in the middle. Unless you want to be super specific and have different dynamics for each hand, but chances are that either way the pianist won't follow that, for the type of music you offer (meaning that other types of music can be super detailed (like serialistic stuff), but yours is not such music...).

3. Some things like double dotted notes, should be broken down differently: A half note tied to a dotted quarter note. It's easier for the eye.

4. There's no need for pedal markings. A lot of piano scores do not include such instructions and it's fine, since a lot of the times the pianists will just use their instincts to add the sustain pedal where needed.

5. You shouldn't alter the score to reflect the use of the pedal, I think it's fine as it is. It gives a very clear and detailed idea, on where to use the pedal, so that's a plus for me.

Finally, I think that the piece is definitely not too difficult, but if there's one thing that makes things a bit more difficult is the use of the G# minor and all the double sharps (which are rightfully there)...

Thanks for sharing and I hope you don't mind my comments!

E
E
Nikolas, I really appreciate the detailed advice!

In a fit of bad judgment, I added the reverb at the last minute. Next time I will refrain, or at least take it down a notch!

Great insight on better differentiating themes A and B. Though I guess I am likely "done" with this piece, I will take it to heart for the next one.

We agree there's "enough" development (duration wise), but I think next time I will aim for a more traditional treatment. I am usually content with a weird result, but not if it’s because of inability to do it the normal way!

Very reassuring to know about tolerance for bass ledger lines – is there a realistic cut-off point? I will remove the 8vb, especially since my software does not allow repositioning it. I wasn't aware of its proper location, so thanks for that!

Not sure if I can get the software to suppress the dynamics below the second staff, but I’ll have a look, and certainly bump the font size.

I will remove the double dots! Visually, my personal preference is for fewer noteheads, but of course the whole point of notation is to communicate efficiently and the double dots defeat that.

I did consider signing A Flat Minor – it would eliminate many of the double accidentals and maybe show modulatory relationships to flat keys more clearly, but all I could think was ugh, seven flats.

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Just a quick note, Eric:

I'm very much like you in that when I'm "done" with a work, I'm DONE with it and need to move to the next one.

Looking forward to your next composition! smile

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I know nothing about traditional forms of any sort so I am not fit to comment on that, Eric. Funnily enough I quite like the quirky rhythm, which has an improvisational sound to it. I would have tended to stick in a really contrasting idea or two and let rip a bit more but that is just me. I look forward to hearing more of your music.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Another light-hearted effort from my youth. I used to improvise more of this sort of stuff than I ever bothered to record or write out.

Pretty Barbara (mp3)

Pretty Barbara (score)

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Oh Ted... That's so fine and dandy... The ending was... surprising actually... laugh

But yes this is fine. If only I had the time I'd put in the effort to make your scores more eligible in Finale of Sibelius, but alas I'm so busy now that it would be unfair to anyone else really... But I think that, at least for this score, things are less complicated than the other: It's a single page! laugh

Thanks for sharing mate!

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for listening Nikolas, and for your kind intention regarding my scores. I think anybody interested enough to want to play it could do so with the help of the recording, wrong notes and all ! When in doubt go by the recording applies to all my music, as I am usually better at the instrument than I am with with pen and paper.

P
P
This is an early intermediate piece. The theme is a prison song from when there were chain gangs. I tried to capture the echo and the sound of chains while the prisoners worked. Please disregard the musescore music realization, it's hardly what it should be.

http://musescore.com/user/66276/scores/88043

P
P

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I posted two new uploads to my blog (my_piano_uploads signature link). For those that don't frequent the Adult Beginners Forum, my ABF recital piece is Shadow.
https://www.box.com/s/5je0h23x89f1u6cr4gba

It is a companion piece to my November recital piece Shimmer.
https://www.box.com/s/5je0h23x89f1u6cr4gba

Both are in C major. By making relatively minor differences in tempo, and tone, give me a different mood.

My second new upload is a meditation improvisation, in D flat major. There were recent threads on composing New Age music, and another on working with a Pentatonic scale. This improvised piece fits both:

https://www.box.com/s/cazpz7k3todipcqkk2mg

Enjoy.

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
prenex: Only recently I found time to listen to your work, so sorry for the lack of activity here...

It's a very interesting tune actually.I can see that it fits perfectly the mood and the aesthetics of what you call "Prison song". In fact it's so catchy that I get a feeling that I've heard it elsewhere (without this meaning that I'm accusing of anything or that I actually remember anything like that).

The chain is also an interesting idea... smile

Thanks for sharing.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Greetings,

Here is a composition from last year intended as a real tour de force, especially at tempo in the ff-ffff section. Some here who like compositions that are stamina building/testing might enjoy it.

I am open to all manner of observation, commentary and criticism.

As it is a high quality scan of the autograph viewing seems to work best outside of a web browser - i.e., one can see the score clearly by right-clicking on this link and then clicking on save as, et c.

http://michaelsayers.com/compositionpdfs/RESAN_TILL_SVERIGE_final_corrected.pdf

Mvh,
Michael

Last edited by Michael Sayers; 02/16/13 12:45 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Robinson
Second, I don't have a great understanding of the pedal, and in any case, my software doesn't seem capable of pedal markings. Is it OK just to trust the performer here? A couple places where I thought ties would be messy, I just marked "let ring" and hoped that the performer can decide whether to sustain with fingers or foot.

Hi Eric,

For pedal notation - and this just is how I do things - where full use of the pedal must be there for the sonority one can use the traditional "Ped. *" notation.

Pedalling can be unbelievably complex so for anything other than a fully applied pedal, or where the damper pedal is wanted to be fully applied but with variety, I write "con Pedale" and leave it up to the performer's pedalling abilities, interpretation and discretion.

If one isn't sure exactly when, where and/or to what extent the damper pedal may best be used, there is "Ped. ad libitum".

As well there is "senza Pedale" for when the composer absolutely wants no use of the damper pedal.

I didn't take a close look at the score (I am overloaded with responsibilities at the moment) but realized that I could do an impromptu post here - maybe it is useful.

With me, pedalling notation is the most challenging aspect of writing out a composition . . . so you are not alone in wrestling with the issue!

Mvh,
Michael

Last edited by Michael Sayers; 02/16/13 01:25 PM.
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Sand tiger: Your meditation was very very calming and... meditative actually. These vibes did their job. The pattern on the background also worked nicely, though it was uneven: I've heard some lovely percussionists playing the kalimba and it reminded me of exactly that!

Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission