2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I have been listening to YouTube videos of the PX-150 to try and hear it. Does the PX-150 and PX-5S both have such alleged problems?

I do want a definite reply from people who have played the piano and others as well to do a comparison.

Casio Privia PX-150

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Adak,
The only real way to assess if this will be a problem for you is to play it yourself. Youtube videos are not a reliable way to determine this. I don't rely on the audio from a youtube clip to be the judge and jury of the sound quality of an instrument. It has definite limitations. The only way to properly assess the Casio is to play it in person and bring a good pair of headphones with you. That way you can compare the sound between other pianos for yourself. And don't forget to pay attention to how the action feels. That is more important than the sound. Other people's opinions are useful, but take them with a grain of salt. In the end, you must decide for yourself based on what you like or don't like and can afford.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 02/01/13 02:25 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by adak
I have been listening to YouTube videos of the PX-150 to try and hear it. Does the PX-150 and PX-5S both have such alleged problems?

I do want a definite reply from people who have played the piano and others as well to do a comparison.

The alleged problem exists in the PX-150. Since the PX-5S pianos sounds are based on those of the 150/350, it will probably be the same in this respect, but the 5S could have some subtle changes, or at least, more user adjustments which may provide a different effect. You'll have a hard time getting a "definite reply from someone who has played one" since it's not in production yet. The only person here who has played one is Mike from Casio, but even what he has played has been a prototype.

For those of us who are sensitive to this "problem" (in quotes because, again, not everyone sees this as a problem), you can hear it in some Chopin demos Mike posted at http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1967338/14.html - and you'll see in that very thread that people think they sound just fine! Remember that people don't even always agree on which real acoustic pianos sound better than which. So I would say, if those samples sound good to you, I expect you'll be very happy with whichever current Casio model you select. Of course, playing them yourself will be the final arbiter.

I think it would be a mistake to judge the piano in the PX-5S based on the pianos in any of the other models. Our ability shape this sound and contour its response is quite remarkable. We can make it play the same as the PX-850, but we can also make it play and feel dramatically different. We still have about 2 months before the PX-5S ships so between now and then I'll get into some more detail.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Is the Air processing for the AP on the PX5 fully unlocked, meaning with all the added resonance and simulation effects that the more expensive models utilize (like the 850). Or is it "limited" to a few extra effects in he same way as the px150.

Mmmm ...prototype unit on NAMM, few months more development. Any room for aesthetic design improvements ? It's the only drawback I can currently think of about the px5, for the rest it seems a very impressive piece of gear.

JFP,
The PX-5S goes into production in a couple weeks. I was trying to say that we have a couple months to answer your questions and get demos online before it arrives in stores.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Roll on px6? wink

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
And the Air AP processing. Can we expect the same resonance and added effects for the AP as on the px850 ?

Originally Posted by JFP
And the Air AP processing. Can we expect the same resonance and added effects for the AP as on the px850 ?

Fully enabled and variable. More control than the PX-850

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Cool !!!

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
I wonder how long until GC stocks the PX-5S instead of the PX-3?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Well according to Mike it goes in production in a couple of weeks. Add shipping and distribution and I would say two months ??

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JFP
Is the Air processing for the AP on the PX5 fully unlocked, meaning with all the added resonance and simulation effects that the more expensive models utilize (like the 850). Or is it "limited" to a few extra effects in he same way as the px150.

I'm sure Mike regrets using that word! Check the page again..

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1929041/4.html

Nothing was literally "locked" in previous versions, in the sense of "there, but disabled." The 850 did have other features that they were able to implement using the same chip. Likewise, the PX-5S will have features that the 850 didn't have... but that doesn't mean these features were "locked out" in the 850. So "fully unlocked" doesn't really mean anything, there's no specific list of features in the chip to turn on or off, they are just continuing to engineer improvements into higher end and newer models, using their AIR technology,

G
G
No music stand! Mike, where I can put my real book ??? ... What a disaster...

M
M
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
JFP,
The PX-5S goes into production in a couple weeks.

Wow! That puts enormous pressure on finalizing the presets. Who's doing that - you guys or is it being done in Japan? Is there a specific date set where that's it and nothing else can be changed?

Just wondering how the mechanics of a mass produced rollout like this work.

Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o

From the stage angle (backside) it looks decent enough.

[Linked Image]

Looks like an external power supply. What are the chances of getting an internal power supply? I wouldn't mind paying extra money for it.

Last edited by adak; 02/05/13 05:15 AM.

Casio Privia PX-150

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by adak

Looks like an external power supply. What are the chances of getting an internal power supply? I wouldn't mind paying extra money for it.

shocked wow

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Well: 0 % chance...; they could throw out the batteries and build a power unit in there, but batteries is one of the sales arguments for the PX5.

Perhaps if you indicate exactly how much extra money you'll be willing to fork over , they will be convinced to do it ;-)

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Mod it yourself. Put the external power unit inside. Make sure it's not going to overheat etc. Oops about the warranty.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
One thing that's nice about the newer external power supplies that Casio uses is that they are not "wall warts" -- instead they are the "lump in the middle" style, with a removable power cord of common design. It would be cool if the power supply were small enough to fit in the battery compartment. (And you could even cut a hole for the power cord itself.) If you could leave it in there, you'd never worry about leaving it behind! I doubt it will be quite that small, though. (There would also be the question of whether the power supply, if operated so close to the electronics, might induce any hum/buzz problems in some situations.)

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission