2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I finally got my first job pretty excited! And since I have my job I feel like I'm ready to find a great and competent piano teacher.
The question is how would I go about finding a very good one with decent rates?
What should I look for in a piano teacher?
Does having experience in all styles of piano make him a great teacher?
Is it good to have more than one private teacher?
Is there a difference between a college and a concert teacher?
Do rates go higher if they travel to you?
Which is more ideal more lessons in a week or once per week?
I have so many questions but I do not want to overload. I would also appreciate the responses or an inbox! Thank you very much!

-Mr. Cid

Just your average beginner that is passionate at what he loves! MUSIC AND INSTRUMENTS!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am sure some folks will answer the specific questions you posed. In the meantime, Nancy Williams outlines a three step process at her blog. Step one is below, click on the "next post" button at the bottom of the entry, to see the next post in the series.

http://www.nancywilliamspiano.com/2013/01/14/how-to-find-good-piano-teacher-getting-started/

I have no connection with Ms. Williams or her blog.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'd second Sand Tiger's suggestion to read the 3 successive articles on that website having just read them myself.

This is a good starting place: http://www.mtnacertification.org/

I'll simply add that you should look for and lean towards someone with credentials.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Cid, many consider it a disservice to suggest to people who are new to the forum, that they use the 'Search' feature. It is a temperamental creature... and some consider that suggesting it means that we are too lazy to answer you in the first place. But for your question, I happen to know that we had a long and detailed discussion on this very topic, within the last two years. I think it would be an advantage to you to hear the many voices which enriched the discussion... and you can even revive the thread, if you want. And then it will be current again.

This kind of discussion is ever-new, and is always useful to at least several members.

Clef

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
As part of your teacher search: don't send them emails in bold italics.

I would address your questions, but I find it so completely irritating to read your posts in what comes across as breathless over-excited shouting, that I'm just completely uninterested.

Regular typeface is easier to read than bold italics.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I thought this thread was going to be about what to wear and how to fix your hair for a lesson!

Learner
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Here are two old threads:
old thread 1

old 2

The Nancy Williams' links are giving an error this morning. To summarize: What kind of music (classical, jazz, popular songs)? How much time are you willing to commit? 15 minutes a day, an hour a day, two hours? What are your musical goals? Examples might be: to play songs from a fake book and have people sing along, learn to play a few pieces that you already know, or play some high level classical masterworks?

Find some teachers using the directories, or a piano store, or piano technician. Interview them over the phone. Be sure the teacher has some adult students or is comfortable with adult students, many are not.

Many teachers will offer one free lesson, but it often takes a few lessons to make an informed decision.

The bold italics are annoying. If the original poster is as insistent in person about stylistic things like that, it may cause personality friction. As to a few specifics, most start out with one teacher, one lesson per week, 30, 45 minutes or one hour. Most teachers prefer that you come to them.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
If you know with all your heart that you are in love with a particular type of music, it will behoove you to find a teacher who also loves that type of music.

Different teachers have different rate structures, but certainly some teachers will charge additional fees for travel.

I wouldn't attempt to work with more than one instructor at a time. If you're like me, you'll find it sufficiently challenging to improve one set of assignments per week, much less two.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A tall teacher can be good too, say over six three, then they can loom over you and watch your fingers carefully.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
T
T
Originally Posted by Rostosky
A tall teacher can be good too, say over six three, then they can loom over you and watch your fingers carefully.

This very good advice. I feel it's also important that this tall teacher has those half moon glasses so they can glare sternly at you over the top of them.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, its great to have a sense of (a.) belonging somewhere on this planet and (b.) mentioning a tall teacher.

I totally agree about the glasses, forgot to mention that a tall teacher also has other advantages, say if they have halitosis, the taller they are the better so when they loom and peer over their glasses, their breathing doesnt curl up the music score and make it more difficult to sight read than it allready is ( despite those that say it isnt too difficult and then say its a skill you can easily pick up over 27 years of hard work)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

T
T
Where can I find this teacher please? He sounds really lovely, with his bad breath and his nasty manner. I'd really like to replace mine with him, as I fear I'm having too much fun learning piano. It ought to be about hard work; hard work and a tall, insulting teacher - that's the way to go.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie
Where can I find this teacher please? He sounds really lovely, with his bad breath and his nasty manner. I'd really like to replace mine with him, as I fear I'm having too much fun learning piano. It ought to be about hard work; hard work and a tall, insulting teacher - that's the way to go.

you forgot the riding crop, an essential piece of kit for any serious teacher of the manipulation of ivories. This can be used twofold, to urge you on to attain correct tempo ( whack on the fingers of both hands (separate or together method) and also to punish for incorrect fingering or dynamics. (again HT or HS )

Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
As part of your teacher search: don't send them emails in bold italics.

I would address your questions, but I find it so completely irritating to read your posts in what comes across as breathless over-excited shouting, that I'm just completely uninterested.

Regular typeface is easier to read than bold italics.

Thanks for the obvious information, Champ! Now please type something that relates to what I am asking.

Just your average beginner that is passionate at what he loves! MUSIC AND INSTRUMENTS!
Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I am sure some folks will answer the specific questions you posed. In the meantime, Nancy Williams outlines a three step process at her blog. Step one is below, click on the "next post" button at the bottom of the entry, to see the next post in the series.

http://www.nancywilliamspiano.com/2013/01/14/how-to-find-good-piano-teacher-getting-started/

I have no connection with Ms. Williams or her blog.

Thanks for the information, Tiger. I appreciate it!

Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Here are two old threads:
old thread 1

old 2

The Nancy Williams' links are giving an error this morning. To summarize: What kind of music (classical, jazz, popular songs)? How much time are you willing to commit? 15 minutes a day, an hour a day, two hours? What are your musical goals? Examples might be: to play songs from a fake book and have people sing along, learn to play a few pieces that you already know, or play some high level classical masterworks?

Find some teachers using the directories, or a piano store, or piano technician. Interview them over the phone. Be sure the teacher has some adult students or is comfortable with adult students, many are not.

Many teachers will offer one free lesson, but it often takes a few lessons to make an informed decision.

The bold italics are annoying. If the original poster is as insistent in person about stylistic things like that, it may cause personality friction. As to a few specifics, most start out with one teacher, one lesson per week, 30, 45 minutes or one hour. Most teachers prefer that you come to them.

Yeah, my style of typing may be annoying to some but in all honesty its just writing and I like it, So just deal with it.

Now about the teachers; would it cost extra if they were to travel to me? Also, I figured one lesson wouldn't be enough to find out if they for me. So if they do offer a free lesson, should I try to make the most of the lesson to see if we click well (that and considering I talked on the phone with them.)

P.S. What is personality Friction? Help me out here please.

Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Whizbang
If you know with all your heart that you are in love with a particular type of music, it will behoove you to find a teacher who also loves that type of music.

Different teachers have different rate structures, but certainly some teachers will charge additional fees for travel.

I wouldn't attempt to work with more than one instructor at a time. If you're like me, you'll find it sufficiently challenging to improve one set of assignments per week, much less two.

Well I love most types of music (at least on an instrument.) But am a big fan of Ragtime, Jazz, Classical/Contemporary, and Renaissance/Medieval Folk music.
I'm sure there are many teachers out there that specialize in the musical genres I stated above but I have yet to even find a teacher so we will see. Also, would only one lesson per week would suffice, because I would like to do more than one lesson per week.

P.S. I see that you are a ragtime player. I would like to play ragtime but I find a lot of the sheets a bit hard for my level, especially with the jumps and whatnot.

Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
I'd second Sand Tiger's suggestion to read the 3 successive articles on that website having just read them myself.

This is a good starting place: http://www.mtnacertification.org/

I'll simply add that you should look for and lean towards someone with credentials.

This is actually a great website from what I hear. Also, what you tell me are what some of my friends tell me. That I should look for someone with credentials. But, I hear stories of phenomenal pianist that are very good at teaching. Should I give a glance in that direction as well?

Mr. Cid Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Cid, many consider it a disservice to suggest to people who are new to the forum, that they use the 'Search' feature. It is a temperamental creature... and some consider that suggesting it means that we are too lazy to answer you in the first place. But for your question, I happen to know that we had a long and detailed discussion on this very topic, within the last two years. I think it would be an advantage to you to hear the many voices which enriched the discussion... and you can even revive the thread, if you want. And then it will be current again.

This kind of discussion is ever-new, and is always useful to at least several members.

Do you have the link to it or the title? It sounds like something I need to look at.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Cid

[i][b]Yeah, my style of typing may be annoying to some but in all honesty its just writing and I like it, So just deal with it.

Is not answering a good way to deal with it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission