2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
riley80 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
is the 4th known by a similar tag?

The spouse is asking, since he is finally developing an interest in the piano concerto. ( Not that I'M playing it.....)
Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"The G major" smile

No it doesn't, but maybe you want to come up with one!

Actually IMO it's sort of too holy for a name. (Seriously.) Like the last sonatas....

B
B
'Emperor' is commonly used only in English-speaking countries, not surprisingly, as it was the English publisher Cramer who first coined it.

The Austro-German countries just call it the E flat Piano Concerto. (Though the influence of USA is so widespread, who knows.....?)

But B's other great E flat work, his 3rd Symphony, is widely known as the 'Eroica'. Even in Germany.

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, Beethoven would be unlikely to name anything "Emperor" since he was egalitarian. And speaking of the third symphony, Beethoven originally dedicated it to Napoleon but tore up the title page of the manuscript and rededicated it upon learning that Napoleon had declared himself Emperor of France.

B
B
OK, back to the 4th. grin

How would you play the opening chord?

I've heard it played pppp, p, even f, even (gasp!!)....rolled crazy

Originally Posted by bennevis
OK, back to the 4th. grin

How would you play the opening chord?

I've heard it played pppp, p, even f, even (gasp!!)....rolled crazy

Gently, solemnly, resonantly -- everything very soft except the bottom and especially the top note, which are 'just loud enough.'

It's not really expressible by a single dynamic, or at best poorly expressible by it. If I had a gun to my head ha I'd say "mp."

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Speaking of the first chord, it has always been a bit of a mystery why that chord is said to make so many pianists nervous. It is said to be difficult to get that lightness, that gentleness, that whatever, that starts this concerto. I talked about it with a friend who just performed it with orchestra recently, and we were both in agreement that there's a lot of other things to worry about in that piece as it is. Rach 2 also starts with a soft chord, yet nobody seems to fear this one (though it is often lousily voiced).

Speaking of that opening...I read a wise remark by Charles Rosen on it - he worked on the piece with a conductor who asked him NOT to take his hands off the keyboard once he had played the opening. This gives the idea that the soloist has finished playing and won't continue, which indeed is the case - however, the theatrical effect of still holding your hands at the keyboard makes the audience not sure what to except, and the B major that the orchestra enters with becomes more of a surprise. There's a similar thing towards the end of the slow movement of Hammerklavier, where the music stops and it may appear to some that the movement is over. In a place like that, it's again wise to keep the hands at the keyboard, making it clear that the music indeed does continue.

Originally Posted by fnork
....Rach 2 also starts with a soft chord, yet nobody seems to fear this one.....

It's not holy. smile

And it's not nearly as subtle.

BTW I've never performed the Beethoven 4th and so I can only guess, but I don't think I'd fear the chord. I love it too much to fear it. I would think my feeling would be, I cannot wait to play this chord.

P.S. It's similar to the opening chord of Schubert's G major Sonata (isn't it?) -- only more so. grin

B
B
Who was that (apparently) renowned teacher/pianist who spent 1/2 hour (or thereabouts) with a well-known pupil working on that one chord? The mind boggles.....

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

Cool!

I'll take Schnabel, recording hiss and all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've heard it said that the slow movement is somewhat reminiscent of the Greek legend of Orpheus and Eurydice. So maybe we can call it the "Orpheus" concerto? It has a nice ring. wink

EDIT
Just did a quick Google search shows some other people have already used this title for it. laugh

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
B
B
Originally Posted by Jolteon
I've heard it said that the slow movement is somewhat reminiscent of the Greek legend of Orpheus and Eurydice. So maybe we can call it the "Orpheus" concerto? It has a nice ring. wink

EDIT
Just did a quick Google search shows some other people have already used this title for it. laugh

'Orpheus taming the Furies' is often the imagery applied to that slow movement, with good reason. But not sure where poor Eurydice comes in..... grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Jolteon

EDIT

'Orpheus taming the Furies' is often the imagery applied to that slow movement, with good reason. But not sure where poor Eurydice comes in..... grin

You must be right, because apparently the whole piece is secretly based on Orpheus.... there's a whole book about it!

http://www.amazon.com/Beethovens-Orpheus-Concerto-Cultural-Beethoven/dp/1576471322

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Heaven forbid the 4th concerto should acquire a nickname.

Saddling a piece of music with a name supposedly indicative of its meaning restricts the imagination of the listener. Only the composer should have the right to name a composition.

What wouldn't I give to have my memory selectively erased of acquaintance with the sonata op. 27 #2, and be able to hear it with no idea of what it may have represented to a certain Ludwig Rellstab.

I don't see any problem with handy mnemonic names related to facts about a piece such as the first performance, the dedication, or musical features, for examples "Oxford" symphony, "Drum Roll" symphony, "Haydn" quartets, "Archduke" trio, "Waldstein" sonata, etc.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well chaps ... I’ve just played the first 5 measures of the jolly old PC IV by LB ... and followed that up with the keyboard version of the orchestral echo ... and according to my copy for IMSLP we are cantering at a modest Allegro moderato ... the “p dolce” would indicate that we want to ride our pony without spurs.

Thanks for the lead ... must work on this so familiar strain.

There are endless treats from LB ... and to think the chappie was deaf.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fnork
Speaking of the first chord, it has always been a bit of a mystery why that chord is said to make so many pianists nervous. It is said to be difficult to get that lightness, that gentleness, that whatever, that starts this concerto. I talked about it with a friend who just performed it with orchestra recently, and we were both in agreement that there's a lot of other things to worry about in that piece as it is. Rach 2 also starts with a soft chord, yet nobody seems to fear this one (though it is often lousily voiced).

I think the problem with the first chord of the LvB 4th is that expectations are high that a certain pretty rarefied atmosphere will get underway from the first note. It's one of the problems of playing core repertoire - everybody already knows how it's supposed to go before you even get started.

Of course, that's also one of the advantages of playing core repertoire - everybody is paying at least as much attention to their own internal version of the piece as they are to what you are actually doing. If you don't do anything to disrupt their trance, you're fine.

But, back to the 4th - the hard thing is really about how Beethoven moved the kind of quiet improvisatory music that people would expect to hear in either the cadenza or in the "preluding" that might precede the piece, to the actual beginning of the piece. I don't think the effect today is anything like what it would have been when Beethoven wrote it - back then, it probably would have been difficult for many people in the audience to know exactly when the concerto began, which is just what Beethoven was toying with, I think.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission