2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
what are they used for? i am a pretty basic piano player, just using the 88 keys and the damper pedal. was wondering should i get the px-5s but not sure what those 2 wheels are used for? do many people use them?

Casio Privia PX-150

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You most likely won't use those wheels for normal piano playing.

The pitch [bend] wheel does just that -- raises and lowers the pitch. Kind of fun, but more of a synthesizer function. Same goes for the modulation wheel, except it may modulate an LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator) in order to produce vibrato, or to control the speed of rotary speaker emulation for organ patches. It may have additional assignable parameters as well.

Again, not so useful for piano, but if you get in to organ, strings, synth (lead) sounds, you may find those controls more useful.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--PitchBend

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--ModWheel

Last edited by LesCharles73; 01/29/13 11:25 PM.

Les C Deal

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by adak
what are they used for? i am a pretty basic piano player, just using the 88 keys and the damper pedal. was wondering should i get the px-5s but not sure what those 2 wheels are used for? do many people use them?

Kawai James will be happy to read that there are piano players who don't know what they're for. ;-)

Picking up on what LC said, a pitch bend wheel is commonly used when playing, not just synth sounds, but also the sounds of instruments where players often bend the pitch (for example, if you wanted to create the sound of playing lead guitar, some violin effects, etc.), you are creating pitches that are in between those that can be played from the keys. The modulation wheel is, again, often used to introduce vibrato, but it can introduce many many other kinds of effects as well, depending on the design of the keyboard. They are not used for standard piano playing.

If you're just interested in piano, the PX-5S will have a whole lot of stuff you won't need. That said, it still might be a perfectly good piano choice, as the piano (and especially EP sounds if you care about them as well) look to be improved over the PX-130/PX-350.

G
G
That said, it still might be a perfectly good piano choice, as the piano (and especially EP sounds if you care about them as well) look to be improved over the PX-130/PX-350.

Anotherscott - not sure if that is true. Did not Mike Martin state in a couple of the NAMM videos that the PX-5S shares the keybed AND the sound samples of the PX-350? Or have I got this total wrong?

Originally Posted by goldlot
Anotherscott - not sure if that is true. Did not Mike Martin state in a couple of the NAMM videos that the PX-5S shares the keybed AND the sound samples of the PX-350? Or have I got this total wrong?

The PX-5S has MANY samples that are not found in the PX-350 including some that have never been in any instrument before.

Specifically new on the PX-5S:
All new rhodes, wurlitzer, clavinet, harpsichord and acoustic bass (There may be others but those are the primary ones). There are also many other samples that are brought over from the XW-series synths.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 02/02/13 12:47 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
G
Sorry, Mike. Didn't mean to present a negative view. What I intended to say that was that the piano sounds are the same between the two (the 5S and 350). Do I have that correct?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by goldlot
Sorry, Mike. Didn't mean to present a negative view. What I intended to say that was that the piano sounds are the same between the two (the 5S and 350). Do I have that correct?

The 5S at least has the enhancements that were in the higher end 850 (string resonance, lid simulation, 256 polyphony). Whether there are other differences or new variations on the PX-350 piano sounds, I don't know. Probably at least more editability that may allow you to tailor them a bit more to your tastes.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
The PX-5S has MANY samples that are not found in the PX-350 including some that have never been in any instrument before.

Specifically new on the PX-350:
All new rhodes, wurlitzer, clavinet, harpsichord and acoustic bass (There may be others but those are the primary ones). There are also many other samples that are brought over from the XW-series synths.

Should that be "Specifically new on the PX5S"?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have a pitch bend wheel on the CDP200.

The thing is it is spring loaded, therefore you can't really play and pitch bend at the same time lest you use your face or foot to bend it.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by justpin
I have a pitch bend wheel on the CDP200.

The thing is it is spring loaded, therefore you can't really play and pitch bend at the same time lest you use your face or foot to bend it.

That's how almost all pitch bend wheels have been since the dawn of time (MiniMoog being a notable exception, though I think they invented the thing). It is meant to be used for one-handed playing. It's not designed to be a transpose device, it's a temporary effect. If it stayed where you left it and didn't spring back, you'd just have to bring it back manually, as otherwise you'd be playing out of tune.

Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o

Should that be "Specifically new on the PX5S"?

Yes, my mistake. Fixed.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission