2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
This is my first post to this forum (which helped inspire me to choose the Casio PX350). Also, please know that I'm a longtime guitar player just starting to explore the world of digital pianos and keyboards. So, I know very little about this stuff.

My question regards tapping into additional sounds available thru my Mac computer. While there's a lot I love about the PX350, especially the piano sounds and its overall feel, as some have hinted, I've found many of the non-piano sounds to be a little lacking. As a devoted tweaker, I also would appreciate more ability to add/adjust reverb, echo, tremolo etc...

So, I have successfully connected the Casio to my Mac using the rear USB connection. And it does work as a midi board so that playing the Casio produces whatever sound I've selected from GarageBand ON MY COMPUTER. Indeed, the sound I hear from the Casio speakers is still the Casio piano sound I selected.

Here are my questions:

--Is it possible to configure things so that I hear a GarageBand tone coming through the Casio speakers (such as an organ, electric piano...)?

--Can I also configure things so that I can easily and quickly switch back and forth between Casio tones and GarageBand tones, or do I basically need to disconnect the USB cable every time to do this?

Right now I'm on the fence between keeping the PX350 and maybe moving on to the brand new PX5S. Of course, it's tricky, because I've only got a few days left on my 30-day return policy from Musiciansfriend, and the PX5S is not even listed yet on their website.

If I knew I had some decent midi options with the PX350, I might be inclined to keep it. I might buy some better software, for instance, to have even more sounds. I'm still not sure if I'll gig with this keyboard. (I'm in a band where I play guitar, but MAY also play some keyboard, if we can't find someone.)

I will say it would be really cool if Casio would eventually let us update the PX350 with some of the other sounds from the new PX5S, but something tells me that's unlikely.

Sorry to ramble on. Would appreciate any input. And again, just want to say that all in all, especially for the price, the Privia is really nice. Thanks!

GarageBand does not transmit MIDI to other instruments. The only thing you can do in GarageBand is play it's internal instruments.

If you turn LOCAL CONTROL OFF on the PX-350, the PX-350 will make no sound when you play it. Then simply connect the Audio Output of the computer to the inputs on the back of your PX-350 and you'll hear the Garageband sounds through the PX-350's speakers.

Switching back and forth is a different story. It is partially a limitation of GarageBand and the PX-350. The short answer is mute the sound on the computer and turn the Local Control ON on the PX-350.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 01/30/13 12:36 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
T
T
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
to the inputs on the back of your computer

Do you mean inputs on the back of the PX-350?

Yes, sorry. Edited...

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful. Leaving GarageBand aside, is there a way I can use computer-based software with my Mac in an integrated way with the Casio?

Basically, the idea would be to use externally-developed sounds on my Casio, and to be able to do it in a way where I could sometimes play, say, a Casio piano tone, and then maybe press a button and then play an organ sound generated from software.

I understand that the PX350 is more limited in its use of MIDI than some other keyboards, but I'm just wondering if, in effect, it is "all or nothing" in terms of how I use the keyboard on a particular occasion. Would be great if I could somehow integrate it so that I could easily switch back and forth. To be clear, I'm not trying to split sounds simultaneously, with one external and one internal. Just want to know if I can easily switch back and forth much like I might switch internal sounds on the Casio itself.

And again, please recognize that I'm new to keyboard and MIDI technology (though I could ramble on and on about guitar gear, which I know more than I should about!).

Thanks again.!

Since you're on a Mac, Mainstage would probably be the way to go. Leave the PX-350 in Local OFF mode. Then use the computer for all sound selection. You can setup Mainstage to choose software instrument or hardware instruments or both.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
E
OP Offline
E
Great. I had my eye on Mainstage, given that it seems like a low-cost way to give this a try. Much obliged!

All this said, I'm still tempted to maybe return the PX350 and get the PX5. Did I see where that's expected to start shipping late March or early April.

Again, appreciate the personal attention from Casio! That counts a lot with me.

E
OP Offline
E
p.s. One last question, Mike. I think I know the answer, but if I do what you suggest on MainStage, does that mean that I will NOT be able to have the sound come out thru the Casio speakers? And also that I will not be able to run sound from the two line-outs in the back of the Casio to a PA/amplifier?

If you use mainstage and connect your computers audio to the PX-350's input then the speakers will have all the sounds.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
E
OP Offline
E
Excellent. Thanks again for all the help!

T
T
Is there a way to turn Local Off/On in a fast way instead of entering menu and turning it off that way ? I've tried to store it in a bank but it doesn't seem to work.

Can I ask why?

I don't know of any other way.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 01/31/13 05:50 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Trigg
Is there a way to turn Local Off/On in a fast way instead of entering menu and turning it off that way ? I've tried to store it in a bank but it doesn't seem to work.

Alternative - plug in/out a blank headphone plug? Although on some DP's that 'colours' the sound. I assume line out remains active when plugged in?

T
T
To change between vst and internal sounds while being on one audio in on mixer.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you want to silence the internal sounds, just turn down the volume control. That should not affect the sound coming out of the line-output jacks.

But if you want to feed external sounds into the piano (while silencing the internally-produced sounds), that won't work. I presume that's why you want to turn Local Control to off.

I'm not familiar with the Casio ... but with my Yamaha, turning that off requires a whole series of buttons and menus. Quite ugly.

I solved the problem by setting up a program on the attached computer. It sends the Local Control on (or off) command to the piano. Just by clicking a link I can turn that on or off. Do you have a computer attached to the Casio? If so, this will work.

I went one step further and installed Bome's MIDI Translator on the computer. I configured it to detect piano pedal-and-key combinations, and use that to turn Local Control on and off.

T
T
MacMacMac that's exactly what I want to get! Thank you, I will check if it's doable with Casio.

T
T
UPDATE: I've tried to use Bome's MIDI translator but no luck so far. It seems Local Control Off sends some Midi message but Local Control On is silent for Midi translator. Anyway I was not able to use that local Off message from my pc (just nothing happens). From the below thread it looks like Casio's do not have Midi for Local control off/on feature:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2448378/Re_MIDI_advice_needed_please

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission