2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 218 of 540 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Ragdoll--- I do believe we’ll hear your Canon at one of the recitals in the not too distant future!

Oh Cheryl, if you only knew how badly I want to do this but alas it will not be in "the near future" to be sure. I have considered PMing you about a significant issue with the Canon and other pieces beyond my current level that I haven't disclosed here. Not that I believe I couldn't get help with from the archipelago of PW supporters here but it concerns my teacher's attitude about my studying this piece. For all I know she lurks here! Do you accept PM?

FWIW, posting my rendition of the Canon is a determined goal I have but a different piece will most likely be my first.

Yes, I do accept PMs Ragdoll - I don't know if I can be of help or not, but ....we can try! smile

Cathy (and everyone else who might be amused)... my favourite regional word from this area is "ciumbia" The "ci" is pronounced "ch" as in "church"...ch YOOM bee-ah - and it means "wow" - an expression of surprise and even astonishment -for positive or negative situations.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am glad to see the AOTW tribe expand yet again. Welcome to the best thread across all the Piano World forums.

Week 58: It feels like a one step back, kind of week. The pieces on the working list all sound like carp (River Flows In You, Canon in D, Fire and Rain, Verdi Cries). I may have bitten off more than I can chew and may have to shelve some of the projects. Over reaching is one of the many hazards of being self-directed. The other side is to stagnate and stay in the comfort zone and not reaching far enough. I keep doing the sight reading and ear training apps.

Working on the new piece is the refuge for the week. It needs more definition, but has potential so I will keep working on it (vs. starting fresh, which is common). I'm up in the air about the upcoming recital. Something will come to me. Perhaps it will be carp soup, or carp souffle?

Have a good week everyone.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
The Mendelssohn is submitted and that's a big achievement. Watching yourself on video is maybe the most difficult part. Of course the red dot still kept it from being without mistakes BUT I've learned that I can learn a difficult piece more quickly than I've assumed in the past. Don't know that I'd do it again though. LOL. Now I need to prepare for my teacher's piano party in May (the Melody Buber set).

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Of course the red dot still kept it from being without mistakes BUT I've learned that I can learn a difficult piece more quickly than I've assumed in the past.

I have read this reference to "the red dot" on a few posts now, what does it mean

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Of course the red dot still kept it from being without mistakes BUT I've learned that I can learn a difficult piece more quickly than I've assumed in the past.

I have read this reference to "the red dot" on a few posts now, what does it mean

Red Dot refers to recording. Many devices light up a red LED (aka the red dot) when they are recording. Most everyone feels added pressure when the red light is on, and many falter under the pressure, making mistakes on pieces they know well. The red dot tends not to be as bad, as live performance pressure, but it definitely feels different from a regular practice, or a regular play through.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks Sand Tiger, I thought it might be something along those lines.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
I may have been successful at convincing the husband on letting me keep my digital piano. I originally made a deal with him that I'd sell the digital once I get an acoustic as we live in a small 2 bedroom condo. But I've changed my mind and I really want to keep both. I found a spot for it after all. After 2 weeks of pretending I can't find a seller (so I lied a little?), I think he's given up. Victory is upon me!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ElleC
I may have been successful at convincing the husband on letting me keep my digital piano. I originally made a deal with him that I'd sell the digital once I get an acoustic as we live in a small 2 bedroom condo. But I've changed my mind and I really want to keep both. I found a spot for it after all. After 2 weeks of pretending I can't find a seller (so I lied a little?), I think he's given up. Victory is upon me!

That never worked with my wife. With me it was, "Adam will be round at 5pm to pick up the digital. Be nice."

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ElleC
I may have been successful at convincing the husband on letting me keep my digital piano.

But you will need your DP when you go travelling or want to practice all night.

I have a DP now I just need to convince my wife I need (deserve) an acoustic. I think this is a few years away but started to drop subtle hints already.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

That never worked with my wife. With me it was, "Adam will be round at 5pm to pick up the digital. Be nice."

It's probably because us wives always win wink

Last edited by ElleC; 04/22/13 09:38 AM.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yup. Anything the wife clutters the house up with is a necessity. Anything the husband is allowed to bring in is a concession.

Always remember - it doesn't matter what it DOES, just what it LOOKS like :-)

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Wow so many achievements and news!
Maple - glad your new teacher is wonderful. I can feel your excitement spilled over through the written words. Indeed piano teachers are very important people to our lives.
On electric piano - yes I'm still on the look out. Haven't had time to shop.

This spring has been incredibly busy for work and music. I have three hours of choir practice every week and two concert in addition to Sunday service. Then my studio class. I never realized taking one half hour credit piano studio class can be so demanding. But it is. In addition to weekly performing in front of the class, I have to perform in front of the guests three times during the semester! Many are performing three pieces. I can only put together only two pieces this time. Last time i perfromed one piece for each performance. This time the Bach P&F and Mendelssohn piece (thanks to ABF, although it needs to be polished & memorized) I used to wish for more opportunity to perform until last year. Now it's overwhelming. I guess when it rains it pours. I guess I cannot complain since I prefer having oppotunity to perform than not. I had my organ lessons. I love it and believe its very good for sight reading. My church is telling me to practice on their organ. So it's another time management issue (sigh).

E
E
Farmgirl --- I admire your commitment! that's a lot of time indeed and talk about the pressure of having to perform in front of a class every week. Yikes! but I suppose after a while, you grow to be more comfortable at performing in front of a live audience. That's an achievement on its own.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee Farmgirl...You sure are busy. How do you find the time to post on the internet? smile Hope you're having fun.
Thank you on my teacher. I couldn't be happier with her.

I'm sitting here itching to get out. Another bad snow day. Roads are bad. This is three weeks in a row. Snow, warm, ground is warm. So it makes for slick conditions. Not working, yet. It's my call. I don't want to get jammed again this week. I gotta get out there. Be careful. Get whatever I can done today. I'm too irritated to focus well on my music studies. I need to get things done so I can relax and concentrate on learning.

EDIT: A new saying... April showers bring snow plows.

Last edited by rnaple; 04/22/13 02:29 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Farm girl: you have a very musical life!

rnaple: congratulations for the great teacher you found. Soon you'll see improvement in your playing.

Ragdoll: I would like to have a better practice method, and sometimes I try some of the good advices here in PW, but I'm not constant.

Saranoya: a few days ago you had no AOTW - now you are organizing a piano party in Europe: this is a very big achievement!

CarlosCC: good luck for your contest, you are really brave!

I had a lesson planned for today, but the teacher could not come so I have no feedback on my progress on the Chopin prelude and Scarlatti sonata; I'm a bit disappointed because I'm at a point where I need feedback - usually when I think I have made big improvements the teacher gives me useful advices and points out problems I had not noticed. So I have to wait until next Monday. I don't want to be misunderstood: we agreed to be flexible (on both sides) so I'm not complaining with her.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Toastie – I bet you feel great getting back into a practice routine! And it’s a pretty neat moment when you realize your current materials feel easier to manage! Have fun at this new level of competency!

EarlofMar – playing all day --- FUN! But tiring! I don’t think my hands could hack it!

RMaple: Gramma and Grampa: Nonna and Nonno (the 2 “n”s are important otherwise you’re saying “nineth” in masculine and feminine forms), Paesan, from “paese” which technically means “country” but is just as often used to refer to one’s home town, hence a “paesan” is a fellow citizen of the same city ---and given that many Italian towns are very small, the threads of connection are very very strong, and meeting a “paesan” when far from home is a big deal!
Sounds like going to your lesson in your work close created quite a stir!

SandTiger: I find it helps to have several pieces on the go so that when my brain can’t take any more of one I slide on to the next. I do hope you’ll make it for the recital-Carp Casserole with greens on the side could be good smile

Wisebuff, congrats on your participation in the Mendelssohn thread (and now I can spell that surname smile I think being able to recognize that you’re able to do more in less time is very encouraging!

ElleC, Andy, EarlofMar – I kept my digital too –not that I play it much, but it is portable and every now and then it is nice to bring over to a friend’s place for some musical afternoons. My acoustic has a Silent system installed, so in effect I still regularly play “a” digital, I’ve got the best of both worlds. I think having the option for playing with headphones is wonderful – especially when you’re doing some focus practice which has the potential to drive anyone ‘round the bend!
Earlofmar: I got my acoustic after only 10 months on the dp…. Other folks have done it even sooner. You don’t necessarily have to wait til you’re better - you’ll get better as you work on your acoustic.

FarmGirl, I feel tired just reading your thread! Wow, you are busy--- and this is only your music life! I can hear that despite a little stress, you are very happy with what you are doing these days, and I’m happy for you. I think the organ lessons must be wonderful good fun!

Torquenale – I understand how disappointing it is (even with agreements and understanding on both sides) when you have to miss a lesson. I find sometimes that making a recording of my pieces shows me where my weak spots are, or else listening to a good recording while I read the score (after I’ve been playing the piece a bit) helps me hear what a professional is doing that I’m not.

My ATOW – I find I’m getting better at just relaxing and playing for my teacher, which means less flubbing. This is a major big deal. I’m very pleased. I played my Heller for him and he gave me more detailed feedback on my dynamics. He asked me if I wanted to play in the recital in June, but as there will only be kids (the oldest is 14), I declined. I’d just feel too out of place.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
E
Casinitaly --- congrats in your atow this week. But I encourage you to join the recital! Though I shared the same sentiment when my teacher asked me to participate. Took a few times for her to convince me. I was to perform with 15 kids from 5-11. It was probably the most nervous I had been...not even an important job interview trumped what I felt the moment I was about to play. Also added to the fact that it was my first recital ever. Anyway, I'm glad I did though. It was a proud moment for my mom, husband and myself. It was a different kind of achievement even though I screwed up the first 10 seconds and had to restart. I'm planning to join our fall recital...I'm hoping the anxiety eases down after the first one.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ElleC, I'm happy to read about your experience in a children recital, because I agreed to participate in one in June and I feel really scared. It's a first time for me (just a very informal recital when I was 11), and I hope the next one will be easier... if I survive the first, of course.

Casinitily, think again about it!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by torquenale
ElleC, I'm happy to read about your experience in a children recital, because I agreed to participate in one in June and I feel really scared. It's a first time for me (just a very informal recital when I was 11), and I hope the next one will be easier... if I survive the first, of course.

Casinitily, think again about it!

If your teacher has enough adults, persuade them to have an adults only recital. Though I could probably hang with the kids now ... wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My AOTW(s) is that I have come to an understanding with teacher about the direction of my lessons. I'll give it some time to see how it goes (been there before).

The second is, I thought eek, I had found a mistake in my lesson book. I was practicing a new lesson that just did not sound right. I tried what I thought sounded correct. I doubted myself initially thinking the harmony note G should really be a G#.

After looking at a tutorial for this piece on YouTube I was correct. I stopped it at the very point and sure enough he was playing a G#. The score was in front of him but he wasn't looking at it grin

This tells me my ear is improving and to not always second guess it.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Page 218 of 540 1 2 216 217 218 219 220 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission