2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
casinitaly #2022610 01/28/13 04:42 AM
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
fell off the wagon Saturday; no real good excuses! Actually thought about it when I woke up Sunday morning at 1am to go to the bathroom and seriously contemplated for a minute going downstairs to play something, but thought it would be silly at that point and went back to bed. Anyways, got some good practicing in today and more to come again tomorrow before and maybe following a lesson.

piano_deb #2022784 01/28/13 12:32 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by piano_deb
Originally Posted by Saranoya
.... I would like my start date to be postponed a few days (to January 31), because I sold my digital piano yesterday, and won't have a piano to practice on again until Thursday.

Ohhh. Does that mean you have a new piano coming home? Be sure to post a thread with pictures. We love to see happy pianos!

Yes, it does! A baby grand will be delivered at my new address in another three days.
I didn't plan on buying a grand this early (only been back in the game five months, after all), but my grandfather heard me make an offhand comment about how I would like to have a grand piano at some point in my life, and to him that was reason enough to run off to the store and buy one (I'm paying him back, though ... already gave him a 60% down payment).

It's a Boston baby grand (model 156 PE). Will post pictures soon!

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
casinitaly #2022792 01/28/13 12:46 PM
N
N
Hi,

Would like to join the MOYD challenge. This is new for me.
Let me know if there is more I need to do.

newbieaz

newbieaz #2022942 01/28/13 05:10 PM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newbieaz
Hi,

Would like to join the MOYD challenge. This is new for me.
Let me know if there is more I need to do.

newbieaz

Welcome !

No, nothing else to do other than follow the guidelines on the first page of this thread.
Good luck!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

gwood #2023089 01/28/13 10:11 PM

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
Originally Posted by gwood
the bad part is i had a really good teacher - guess i'm just afraid of commitment ... to repeat: the teacher was great, i just have some weird thing about taking lessons. this have happened several times over the past 5 - 6 years.

so far this year have gotten about 2 hours per day; 3+ on weekends.
gw

GW:
You play 2 hours a day but hate lessons?
Doesn't sound like the teacher was so great for you.
It took me a long time to find a teacher that worked for me and with me.
I finally found a place that offered group lessons for adults,
and had a teacher that was more interested in meeting my expectations
than having me meet his/hers.
Once I saw I was making progress, I knew I had found the right one.
Remember: You are the "Master Of Your Domain"!

tinman1943
Adult Learner
--Music is poetry; why print it like prose?--
casinitaly #2023110 01/28/13 11:02 PM
N
N
So how are we all doing? There have been a few days this month where I could only fit in half hour of playing but on average I'd say I'm doing 2-3 hrs a day, this has probably been made easier to do as I bought my first acoustic this year, just hope I can keep it up.

Here's a question for anyone who might know, does playing on a software keyboard, namely an iPad app count? I'm just thinking ahead for if I'm in a situation where I can't get to a piano but have my ipad with me. I often use it for tinkling out little melodies or for doing theory when I'm not at home so just curious if it counts as part of MOYD.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
casinitaly #2023111 01/28/13 11:06 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
May I please be excused for today? I put in 13 hours at work and another hour at home for work. I'm bushed. Wanna read, drink a tea and fall into bed. Tomorrow I might need to be excused too if it goes anything like today did. frown

Sweet dreams all. (and welcome saranoya)

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
casinitaly #2023130 01/28/13 11:50 PM
N
N
14 hours of work definitely sounds like a reason to be excused to me :-o

Enjoy the read/tea/sleep Becca

neildradford #2023208 01/29/13 03:23 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by neildradford
So how are we all doing? There have been a few days this month where I could only fit in half hour of playing but on average I'd say I'm doing 2-3 hrs a day, this has probably been made easier to do as I bought my first acoustic this year, just hope I can keep it up.

Here's a question for anyone who might know, does playing on a software keyboard, namely an iPad app count? I'm just thinking ahead for if I'm in a situation where I can't get to a piano but have my ipad with me. I often use it for tinkling out little melodies or for doing theory when I'm not at home so just curious if it counts as part of MOYD.

Neil.

hmm um... Heck, I don't know.
I do know some folks use roll-up keyboards when away from home.
Is this any different?

My opinion is that if you have no access to a real keyboard, digital or acoustic, and you use the app to work on your piano skills - either playing or practising, in a way that you feel is a legitimate moment of focusing on your piano skills improvmeent, then it qualifies.

The following is not just for Neil, it is for others who have asked or are thinking about various scenarios "what if....."

Lots of folks ask "is it ok, does it count...?" In a way I feel absurd being the "rule maker". What it boils down to is being honest with yourself, and not tricking yourself into thinking you've worked on piano when you haven't.
Does a lesson count? ....well, did you sit down and play - yup.
Does a roll-up count? ....Can you play it? Yes? - ok.
Does an app really mimic playing piano...Well, I've seen Lang Lang use one on stage pretty effectively....I think it counts.

Those are my opinions, and going through the past MOYD threads, the first two seem to be held as ok through general concensus. The third point is something "fairly" new - but as new options open up, let's keep on exploring them!

The point is to work at getting better, right? To be as consistent as possible with getting to the piano!
Play on!

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #2023213 01/29/13 03:38 AM
A
A
Mind you, this isn't about getting away with as little practice as possible, but rather trying to make it work when unable to take your time at your own piano. Nobody would recommend learning to play on just a roll-up or iPad. You need the real experience. But sometimes, that's all you got.

I've tried a few of these piano apps, but they don't seem to be for me. It's so limited. You can only play one hand, and even that is just one octave or so. I have no music that could be played on the app, leaving just excercise. And you can't even do scales.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Allard #2023217 01/29/13 03:42 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Mind you, this isn't about getting away with as little practice as possible, but rather trying to make it work when unable to take your time at your own piano. Nobody would recommend learning to play on just a roll-up or iPad. You need the real experience. But sometimes, that's all you got.

I've tried a few of these piano apps, but they don't seem to be for me. It's so limited. You can only play one hand, and even that is just one octave or so. I have no music that could be played on the app, leaving just excercise. And you can't even do scales.

Right you are Allard (though I don't think Neil is trying to get away with anything (nor that you are suggesting he is). It is simply making the best of what is available to you.
I don't really know how the apps work.
As I said, it is an honour system here. Above all we have to be honest to ourselves.

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #2023612 01/29/13 08:00 PM
N
N
Hey guys, thanks for the response. I certainly don't want to be seen as trying to get away with anything. It's my determination to not let a single day pass where I don't do something related to learning piano. I've been lucky so far in that I can access my piano everyday, but I can see this may get harder as our baby due date gets nearer and when baby is born (beginning of June).

I have plenty of apps on my ipad which are music related, but mostly I'm using it for theory, note identification, scale identification, chord practice etc. I can use the software keyboards to play out little melodies of my own, or to put into practice some theory I've just learnt, it really is quite useful, especially when I have time on my hands at work (night shift). I hope it would be ok for this to count toward MOYD if the time comes when I cannot play my piano.

Keep up the good work guys,

Neil.

casinitaly #2023622 01/29/13 08:20 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My teacher mentioned a while ago that if I'm really not near a piano, reading through & analysing a score can be useful too, so maybe some of your apps could qualify.

btw, I'm SO glad I got my digital piano - this is the 3rd day in a row that the only time I had to practice was early in the morning. I might not have found time at all to work on the acoustic, but with the digital I can just plug in the headphones & let 'er rip.

The reason for the early start today was that I had to get to a dentist appointment. My previous dentist, who I'd known for about 40 years, retired a few weeks ago, & guess who took over his practice? Dr. Bach! He did a crown prep today for me today & it turns out he's a really good dentist as well as having an auspicious name.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
casinitaly #2023629 01/29/13 08:43 PM
You're going to have to put me on the sick/injured list. The Ulnar nerve problem has just gotten too bad to continue on. I go in for testing to see where the problem lies Thursday. Here's to hoping it's in the elbow, which is where we think it is, because that's the easiest to treat. They start with time in a sling and if that doesn't stop it go in and just move the nerve over. If it's the neck (least likely in my opinion) they put you in traction. If it's entrapped at the wrist that is surgery with a long rehab and no guarantees.

Last edited by BillTheSlink; 01/29/13 08:44 PM.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
casinitaly #2023666 01/29/13 09:52 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Bill, that sounds awful! I hope everything goes well on Thursday & it turns out to be the elbow.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
BillTheSlink #2023683 01/29/13 10:29 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by BillTheSlink
You're going to have to put me on the sick/injured list. The Ulnar nerve problem has just gotten too bad to continue on. I go in for testing to see where the problem lies Thursday. Here's to hoping it's in the elbow, which is where we think it is, because that's the easiest to treat. They start with time in a sling and if that doesn't stop it go in and just move the nerve over. If it's the neck (least likely in my opinion) they put you in traction. If it's entrapped at the wrist that is surgery with a long rehab and no guarantees.

Sorry to hear of your nerve problems Bill, good luck for Thursday.

Neil.

casinitaly #2023685 01/29/13 10:33 PM
S
S
I am new to this forum. I started learning how to play the piano 2 years ago but stopped after a few months. We recently purchased a fabulous acoustic piano (for our daughter), which motivated me to start again. I enjoy playing a lot and I hope I can stick with it this time around.

Please sign me up!

casinitaly #2023728 01/30/13 12:03 AM
N
N
Good luck swimMommy

casinitaly #2023789 01/30/13 03:20 AM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Neil - no, no, no one meant to think you would try to "get away" with anything, it was just a discussion on the ideas.

I think that using the app for working out fingerings or practicing tricky bars (because I think - I may be wrong) it might be a lot harder to actually play it as a keyboard! smile (Lang Lang we are not!) I would say that although study of theory and studying sheet music is useful, those activities do not count for MOYD. MOYD has to be working your fingers on keys in some fashion. So sounds like part of what you can do is certainly MOYD-worthy Neil smile

Joyoussong-Carol - Hope your dental work goes smoothly. I had a crown done a couple of years ago and it was a totally frustrating experience. I had a very weird dentist. Note the past tense! With a name like Bach, you can't help but feel something is right in the universe eh?

Bill - So sorry to hear your problem is getting worse instead of better! Best wishes for getting it resolved soon, in the simplest way possible!!!!

swimMommy - Welcome and good luck with getting back into the swinm of things!

[Linked Image]

casinitaly #2024490 01/31/13 09:08 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
SwimMommy
Do you swim or are you coaching the team or are your kids swimmers? I'm always curious about the names we assign ourselves.

Good for you playing the piano. I started playing (I'd played some in high school) when my eldest son was in lessons. He quit after high school but I'm still at it. He had more talent too...I keep asking him if he's going to play again.

Bill, please heal quickly

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission