2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2020114 01/24/13 06:21 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all,

I know this topic has been touched on before, but I don't think with this precise slant.

I'm considering offering students a discount (maybe 5%) if they pay up-front (ie. in week 1) for the whole school term (usually, in Australia, about ten weeks).

My student policy requires up-front payment for the month or term, but there are always a few "stragglers". I know some teachers charge a late fee - but I was thinking it might be nice to reward the people who do the right thing, while providing an incentive to pay right on time.

I'm wondering what experience various teachers have of offering discounts?

Cheers, Paul

Piano teacher, journalist, AMEB examiner.
Slowdown #2020124 01/24/13 07:11 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
My singing teacher's policy is 10% discount if a person pays in ten week blocks, the money must come within the first two weeks of the new ten week block. I've been through eight private instrumental teachers altogether, none of them operate that way, but the way it works in the studio I work, the money is to be paid at the beginning of every month.

Slowdown #2020181 01/24/13 09:13 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I give a 5% pre-payment credit if 5 mos or more are paid up front.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Slowdown #2020231 01/24/13 10:52 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
It's a nice-sounding concept from the student point of view, Paul, and you might get paid quicker. But it's also money coming right out of your income. If every student in your studio takes advantage of the offer, you have just implemented a 5% pay cut!
Probably not your intention.

We piano teachers earn so little, that I have yet to try the discount idea. But yes, I have thought about it, more along John's line: i.e., payment for half a year of lessons in advance, or maybe the whole teaching year.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 01/24/13 02:42 PM.
Slowdown #2020444 01/24/13 04:10 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I never offer discount like this before.
However, I think I will consider it next year. I will have 5% discount for parents who pay ONE YEAR in advanced, that is 10 months of piano tuition.
Then I will have 2.5% discount for parents who pay half year in advanced.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
It's a nice-sounding concept from the student point of view, Paul, and you might get paid quicker. But it's also money coming right out of your income. If every student in your studio takes advantage of the offer, you have just implemented a 5% pay cut!

We piano teachers earn so little, that I have yet to try the discount idea. But yes, I have thought about it, more along John's line: i.e., payment for half a year of lessons in advance, or maybe the whole teaching year.

I totally agree with Peter. Why would you take a 5% pay cut? For those who repeatedly "forget" to pay on time, institute a late fee of $25 and see how quickly they start paying on time! smile

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BinghamtonPiano
I totally agree with Peter. Why would you take a 5% pay cut?

It's not necessarily a 5% pay cut. You have use of the money for many months in advance. For example, if you have outstanding balances on loans for your studio, you're probably saving much more than 5%. You've eliminated a lot of detail accounting work for many months. Or being able to pay cash for something you needed in the studio probably meant a lower price.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

Better to raise the price by 5% before giving the 5% discount. Or better yet, raise it 10%. We're always charging less than what we're worth... for some reason.

I made this: http://privio.net - Private music studio management made easy.
Slowdown #2021288 01/25/13 06:46 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
We offer a slightly discounted rate for student who pay tuition by the semester. Even though only a couple of students took advantage of this, it really helped us with cash flow, and I think the discount was worth the cost of having that extra money on-hand to cover unexpected expenses.

Now if every student did it, I may consider raising the tuition so that we get paid what we should be charging, and those who pay monthly would pay more (rather than us taking the hit). But so far we're not in that predicament.

By the way, if you're not particularly good with your business finances, you may not want to do this option at all. Having money sitting in the account can be a temptation for some to spend, not considering that money is earmarked for the next 4 months of salary, rent, utilities, etc.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2022330 01/27/13 07:35 PM
R
R
My daughter's teacher offers a slightly reduced rate for pre-paying for 10 lessons at a time.

You can think of it as a tiered pricing plan, and wonder if you can extract better rent etc. As a dad, I view buying the 10-class blocks as a signal that I am committed to her as my daughter's teacher as much as she is committed to developing my daughter's skills. To me that's far more important than the slight pricing difference.

Last edited by rlinkt; 01/27/13 09:39 PM.
rlinkt #2022701 01/28/13 09:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone - helpful thoughts.

I am going to experiment with 5 and 10 per cent discounts for students who do certain things like pay in advance for the school term and/or move to a 45-minute lesson.

I agree with John's point that what appears to be a pay-cut is not necessarily so. I have a mortgage, so by getting a lot of my income ten weeks in advance - assuming I can put a chunk of it towards paying off my debt - I save a lot of money in interest.

Moreover, I would sometimes have people miss, and not pay for, a lesson during term (despite my studio policy's stipulations). By getting people to pay in advance for the term, I am not missing out on payment during those odd weeks (hence my income is actually higher). Plus I save myself the stress I would have gone through chasing payment during term or fretting over students who miss a week and don't pay. PLUS the student feels good about getting a slightly reduced rate.

It feels like win-win to me. But I will let the forum know how it pans out. (I should mention, too, that I've increased my fees by a little over five per cent each year for at least the last five years).
-Paul

Piano teacher, journalist, AMEB examiner.
Slowdown #2023597 01/29/13 07:29 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree that paying ahead discount is not losing money...it's the time value of money plus the trouble of collecting, recording, depositing checks each month and sending out reminder notices when late.

Last edited by Stanny; 01/29/13 07:29 PM.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Stanny #2023714 01/29/13 11:34 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Stanny
I agree that paying ahead discount is not losing money...it's the time value of money plus the trouble of collecting, recording, depositing checks each month and sending out reminder notices when late.

Not only these benefits, but sometimes you have to make large purchases. We want to move my Yamaha G3 down from WI, but that costs a lot of $$ that we don't have. We'd like to have it in time for the recital at the end of the semester, and with a student who just paid for semester tuition, that money is available now rather than having to save it up and wait a few more months. So certainly the whole cash flow issue becomes much easier to manage.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Slowdown #2024586 01/31/13 12:19 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
My utility bills provide a slight discount for prompt payment. Or maybe it's really a disguised small penalty for slow payment, which they phrase euphemistically by terming it a discount for prompt payment. I can't tell which it is, but it works: it gets me to pay right away!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission