Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (alfredo capurso, 7uturu, Bambers, Beakybird, 36251, beeboss, 15 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2021661 - 01/26/13 02:22 PM The controversial area of memorizing in performance  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2021812 - 01/26/13 07:31 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Fordsnack Offline
Full Member
Fordsnack  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 34
United Kingdom
Interesting, I like to memorise and always have for some reason. This might be why my sight reading is not so good... But I do feel I can get lost in the music more. Which I like


Just started working on:
Clair de lune
Nocturne in c minor - Chopin
youtube.com/elysiumproject
#2022023 - 01/27/13 08:25 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
geraldbrennan Offline
Full Member
geraldbrennan  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
ann arbor, mi
You know, if you went to a play, and half of the actors who did not / could not memorize their lines walked around the stage with their faces buried in the script, well, that would annoy the heck out of ME, anyway.
I don't see how this is any different. I know there are some fine instrumentalists and conductors who are not blessed with good memories who will disagree that this is a performance deficiency, but to me it's no different than needing a script for your lines.
That said -- there are interesting tendencies that evolve with each of the two types. I am an example of a pianists with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good. The best sight-readers I know have poor memories. I once had a girlfriend who could play anything I gave her at sight and at speed. Once, after she sight-read a fugue from the WTC II at a nice clip, I asked her if she knew what a "fugue" was. She said she didn't know. She had a terrible memory and could not improvise to save her life, but wow, what a reader!
Of course the very best, have great memories yet have persisted in their studies to gain and maintain great sight-reading skills.
Maybe next lifetime...

Last edited by geraldbrennan; 01/27/13 10:04 AM.
#2022053 - 01/27/13 10:03 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
You know, if you went to a play, and half of the actors who did not / could not memorize their lines walked around the stage with their faces buried in the script, well, that would annoy the heck out of ME, anyway.
I don't see how this is any different. I know there are some fine instrumentalists and conductors who are not blessed with good memories who will disagree that this is a performance deficiency, but to me it's no different than needing a script for your lines.
I don't think the comparison to acting is particularly strong. The actors are supposed to be imitating real life where people don't speak from scripts and their emotional reactions and physical movements are far more important than in a piano recital. A better comparison might be listening to actors on the radio where I'd guess they almost always use scripts.

And then there is the obvious examples of orchestral performances, chamber music, or pianists playing contemporary music, where the score is almost always used. Also the historical fact that until a certain point in time pianists always used the score, and it was considered and insult to the composer not to do so.

I think memorization is a complicated issue and should be considered quite different for amateurs vs. professionals. I think amateurs should certainly be allowed/encouraged to use the score because the time it takes to memorize could be put to far better use in most cases. And I'd guess many amateurs would perform far better with the score because the anxiety over memory problems gets eliminated.

For professionals, the issue of memorization is far more complicated because it's usually a given that they are expected to perform from memory.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/27/13 10:05 AM.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2022063 - 01/27/13 10:22 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,698
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,698
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
You know, if you went to a play, and half of the actors who did not / could not memorize their lines walked around the stage with their faces buried in the script, well, that would annoy the heck out of ME, anyway.
I don't see how this is any different. I know there are some fine instrumentalists and conductors who are not blessed with good memories who will disagree that this is a performance deficiency, but to me it's no different than needing a script for your lines.
I don't think the comparison to acting is particularly strong. The actors are supposed to be imitating real life where people don't speak from scripts and their emotional reactions and physical movements are far more important than in a piano recital. A better comparison might be listening to actors on the radio where I'd guess they almost always use scripts.

And then there is the obvious examples of orchestral performances, chamber music, or pianists playing contemporary music, where the score is almost always used. Also the historical fact that until a certain point in time pianists always used the score, and it was considered and insult to the composer not to do so.

I think memorization is a complicated issue and should be considered quite different for amateurs vs. professionals. I think amateurs should certainly be allowed/encouraged to use the score because the time it takes to memorize could be put to far better use in most cases. And I'd guess many amateurs would perform far better with the score because the anxiety over memory problems gets eliminated.

For professionals, the issue of memorization is far more complicated because it's usually a given that they are expected to perform from memory.


Not to mention the fact that actors also have prompters to give them lines if they forget any. I don't think that can be done with piano as easily (how would they fit a prompter *and* a piano in that little box??).


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2022066 - 01/27/13 10:32 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California
I would love to add your quote to my blog, as I am interested in player feedback..


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
#2022067 - 01/27/13 10:34 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California
another thought-provoking, valuable set of insights.
Thanks for sharing. Certainly as you say, in the chamber music realm, using music is customary.


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
#2022069 - 01/27/13 10:37 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: Morodiene]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California
your post prompted my memory of Christopher O'Reilly turning pages with an iPad on Public TV.


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
#2022092 - 01/27/13 11:16 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
I think that once pianists became 'stars', as originated by Liszt: solo concerts, piano sideways on to the audience so that they could see not just his noble profile but also his flying hands and his expressive (and noble) face......the die was cast. A star can't share the limelight with a lowly page-turner, nor have any attention directed away from him and his playing (as would occur if he kept looking at the score).

Even solo violinists and cellists (playing solo Bach etc) and singers have got in on the act. A Lieder recital is more like a soloist (the singer) with piano accompaniment than a chamber concert, so whereas a violinist playing the Franck Sonata would use the score as well as his partner, the singer wouldn't - even when singing Wolf, where the piano part is often as (if not more) important than the singer's.


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2022128 - 01/27/13 12:13 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
geraldbrennan Offline
Full Member
geraldbrennan  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
ann arbor, mi
"I would love to add your quote to my blog, as I am interested in player feedback.."

Of course.
GB

#2022151 - 01/27/13 12:45 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
That said -- there are interesting tendencies that evolve with each of the two types. I am an example of a pianists with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good. The best sight-readers I know have poor memories. I once had a girlfriend who could play anything I gave her at sight and at speed. Once, after she sight-read a fugue from the WTC II at a nice clip, I asked her if she knew what a "fugue" was. She said she didn't know. She had a terrible memory and could not improvise to save her life, but wow, what a reader!
I don't see how one can sight read a piece with some difficulty and then have it memorized unless if one is talking about photographic memory. Presumably one hasn't sight read all the notes, rhythms, etc. correctly the first time if one is a poor sight reader, so one would be memorizing errors. I also think it's a big mistake to not use the score until one has memorized every marking in the score in addition to the notes.

I think that in general all pianistic skills(technique, musicianship, sight reading, memorizing, etc.) tend to move mostly in parallel. They are all related. Most very good pianists are very at all of them and most beginners or less talented pianists are not so good in all these areas. Of course, one can always find exceptions to the above, e.g. a pianist with great technique but poor sight reading skill or poor musicianship. But I think those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/27/13 12:50 PM.
#2022177 - 01/27/13 01:41 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Saranoya Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
I am an example of a pianist with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good.


I have this problem as well. I read through a score once, or even just hear a piece played from start to finish once or twice, and I'm inclined never to look at the score again.

When I started taking lessons again five months ago, I explicitly asked my teacher never to play a piece for me before I had worked through it myself, because if she did, I would never learn to sight-read. She's been pretty good about sticking to that rule, and yet, my sight-reading still hasn't improved much. I still find myself looking at the score once, and then moving on from there without it.

Do you have any ideas about how to avoid this trap? Because I literally can't seem to do it -- look at the score and play at the same time, I mean. I always loose my place, and so it becomes simply easier for me to ignore the score, even before I can actually play through a piece.


Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
#2022179 - 01/27/13 01:47 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: Saranoya]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Originally Posted by Saranoya
I still find myself looking at the score once, and then moving on from there without it.

Do you have any ideas about how to avoid this trap? Because I literally can't seem to do it -- look at the score and play at the same time, I mean. I always loose my place, and so it becomes simply easier for me to ignore the score, even before I can actually play through a piece.


How do you actually learn a piece, if you ignore the score after one read-through, unless you have a photographic memory?


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2022186 - 01/27/13 01:55 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: bennevis]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Saranoya Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Brussels, Belgium
@ bennevis: I don't know. I guess "I read it once" doesn't really adequately explain what I do.

It's more like, I read the first four bars once (or the first three, or the first two, or sometimes maybe the first eight, depending on what makes the most sense in the context of the phrasing of the piece), and then I play them, and once I know what they sound like, I don't need to even remember which specific notes were in them, because I can hear those two or three or four or eight bars in my mind.

Then I move on to the next few bars in the same way, until I reach the end.

The trouble is, because I easily remember melodies, but not necessarily specific notes (my musical hearing is not absolute), sometimes I hear a piece on the radio, or play through the score once and then forget about it for a while, and when I try to play it on the piano later, it comes out in the wrong key.

Also, it sometimes leads to quirky mistakes. Recently I was learning one of the Burgmüller opus 100 pieces (n° 5), which ends its melody in the left hand on the first repetition of the first theme, and in the right hand on the second repetition of same. Until my teacher pointed it out to me, I never realized that I was playing the ending of the second repetition in the wrong hand, one octave too low.


Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
#2022197 - 01/27/13 02:31 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: Saranoya]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Maybe what you should do is to start learning pieces where the accompaniment is just as important as, or integrated into, the melody so that you can't just play half by ear, half by memory which is what you seem to be doing. Like Schumann's Arabeske, Op.18 for example, or Rachmaninoff's Prelude in D, Op.23/4, or Brahms's Intermezzo in A, Op.118/2, all of which are somewhat above the level of the pieces you're playing, but are immediately appealing, and most importantly get you to learn to read scores and sight-read properly. Bach's polyphonic music (two- and three-part Inventions etc) will also do the trick.

Otherwise, you will find it difficult to progress beyond your current level.


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2022205 - 01/27/13 02:43 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: bennevis]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Saranoya Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Brussels, Belgium
I think I know what you're getting at, bennevis, and I also think that my teacher has already caught on to the same drift. She gave me 'Impertinence' by Handel to study a while ago. It's a simple piece, but it does have two melodic lines (left and right hand) that are pretty much independent of each other.

I learned that the same way I learn anything else, though. I have no trouble holding two distinct melodic lines in my memory at the same time. I just have trouble immediately translating what I see on the page into a key press on the piano.

But maybe if I try one of the pieces you suggested, I will be forced to read from the page because the distinct melodic lines are too complicated to remember (even with the occasional mistake) after one try. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks!


Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
#2022261 - 01/27/13 05:11 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: Saranoya]  
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,698
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,698
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Saranoya
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
I am an example of a pianist with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good.


I have this problem as well. I read through a score once, or even just hear a piece played from start to finish once or twice, and I'm inclined never to look at the score again.

When I started taking lessons again five months ago, I explicitly asked my teacher never to play a piece for me before I had worked through it myself, because if she did, I would never learn to sight-read. She's been pretty good about sticking to that rule, and yet, my sight-reading still hasn't improved much. I still find myself looking at the score once, and then moving on from there without it.

Do you have any ideas about how to avoid this trap? Because I literally can't seem to do it -- look at the score and play at the same time, I mean. I always loose my place, and so it becomes simply easier for me to ignore the score, even before I can actually play through a piece.


There are books you can buy with lots of sight reading examples. You only play them once or twice, and then move on. If you are an advanced player, then you buy an inexpensive compilation of intermediate pieces and use that. This is separate work from learning your repertoire.


private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2022450 - 01/27/13 10:47 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California
Thanks...


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
#2022466 - 01/27/13 10:58 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 5,820
JoelW Online content
5000 Post Club Member
JoelW  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 5,820
USA
For me, I prefer watching pianists play from memory. When one plays from a score it makes them seem unprepared and isn't as exciting.

#2022486 - 01/27/13 11:44 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,451
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,451
Land of the never-ending music
I don't really care if a pianist uses the score or not as long as he/she plays well.



[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.


#2022535 - 01/28/13 01:13 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: ChopinAddict]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
shirlkirsten Offline
1000 Post Club Member
shirlkirsten  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,593
Berkeley, California
agree


Piano blog: Performances, Instruction, Interviews
http://www.arioso7.wordpress.com

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7



NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and Baldwin165, Yamaha Arius141
MTAC Alameda
#2022569 - 01/28/13 02:56 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
erjamo Offline
Junior Member
erjamo  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Banned
I know there are some fine instrumentalists and conductors who are not blessed with good memories who will disagree that this is a performance deficiency

Last edited by erjamo; 01/28/13 02:56 AM.
#2023014 - 01/28/13 07:40 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
geraldbrennan Offline
Full Member
geraldbrennan  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 77
ann arbor, mi
Re: Pianoloverus

"And then there is the obvious examples of ... pianists playing contemporary music, where the score is almost always used."

Fascinating point, here.
I would maintain that no matter if it's Xenakis, Webern or whoever, if the pianist actually is able to understand the essence of the piece and take the work to heart, it's no harder to memorize than Mozart. I do not dispute that many, maybe even most, pianists who play this repertory, use the score, but because they are not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and are not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying.

#2023020 - 01/28/13 08:02 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan

Fascinating point, here.
I would maintain that no matter if it's Xenakis, Webern or whoever, if the pianist actually is able to understand the essence of the piece and take the work to heart, it's no harder to memorize than Mozart. I do not dispute that many, maybe even most, pianists who play this repertory, use the score, but because they are not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and are not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying.
My guess is that not many would agree with this. Maybe Realplayer and Brendan, two PW members who perform a lot of contemporary music, will give us their thoughts about this. I cannot see how music that is generally considered more complex rhythmically and harmonically than other music would be just as easy to memorize.

I specifically remember that the American woman pianist(can't remember her name even though I've heard her twice in recitals)well known for her performances of contemporary music used the score when she played a contemporary work on her Carnegie Hall debut some time ago. I don't think many would accuse her of not being sufficiently clear about what the composer said or not taking the work to heart.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/28/13 08:04 PM.
#2023022 - 01/28/13 08:06 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: geraldbrennan]  
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
bennevis Offline
9000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,131
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan


Fascinating point, here.
I would maintain that no matter if it's Xenakis, Webern or whoever, if the pianist actually is able to understand the essence of the piece and take the work to heart, it's no harder to memorize than Mozart. I do not dispute that many, maybe even most, pianists who play this repertory, use the score, but because they are not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and are not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying.


In that case, you'd lump Maurizio Pollini - one of the most intellectual pianists of our time - into that category of 'not able to take this sort of repertory to heart and not sufficiently clear about what the composer is saying'. He's the only major pianist who routinely programs Stockhausen, Boulez, Nono etc in his concerts. And he always uses a score for such music. Many other pianists just talk about their enthusiasm for such music but never play it.

There is a very good reason why pianists (unless they have photographic memories) use scores for this sort of music - because there is often no clear pattern of notes (try memorizing Boulez's Sonata No.2....) or harmonic progressions to latch on to.

An analogy I can relate to is chess: I can easily remember a complicated chess position after a couple of minutes of looking at it, and reproduce it on another chessboard (as well as remember complete games that I've played recently) - as long as the position is logical, such as would occur in a normal chess game. I can also play 'blindfold' games, i.e. without sight of the board. Any good chess player can do the same. But if the position on the board is entirely random and could not possibly have occurred in a game, I'd have great difficulty if there are more than a few pieces on it - because there is no clear pattern or logic to the arrangement of the pieces. I probably wouldn't do any better than someone who can't play chess.


"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
#2023067 - 01/28/13 09:37 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: shirlkirsten]  
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,594
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,594
Philadelphia, PA
I would respectfully suggest that people with great memories (who memorize without even trying) are not likely to be the best judges of whether memorization is essential to fine artistic understanding of a piece. What basis is there for comparison, in that case?

One could make the same point about those incapable of memorizing. It seems to me that the best informed would be those who have tried it both ways.

In any case, I think the amount of time and effort the memorization will take has to enter the equation. If memorization is automatic, of course it's a no-brainer, you'll memorize. But if memorization takes a lot of investment, that is time that could be put to other use. Then it becomes a question of weighing its advantages against the possible benefits of doing some other kind of practice.


1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:
Haydn, Sonata Hob. XVI: 19
Chopin, Waltz in E minor (op. posth.)
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
#2023133 - 01/29/13 12:07 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: jdw]  
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,535
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,535
NYC
I perform a lot of contemporary music and always from score. I have found there has been no problem internalizing the music, and have been doing this for the past 40 years.

Recently, there's been one piece that's been giving me trouble, even reading from score, and I have begun work on memorizing it. It's something about this piece's peculiar attributes that get my fingers bolloxed up in spite of having the score there, so I'm hoping memorization will solve that. It's not something I've run into before. If you saw it you might understand. I have to record it a few months from now.

#2023310 - 01/29/13 08:44 AM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Scordatura Offline
Full Member
Scordatura  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 163
Suffolk, UK
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
That said -- there are interesting tendencies that evolve with each of the two types. I am an example of a pianists with a great memory; I can read through a piece once and I don't need it again. BUT -- I am a terrible sight-reader, BECAUSE my memory is so good. The best sight-readers I know have poor memories. I once had a girlfriend who could play anything I gave her at sight and at speed. Once, after she sight-read a fugue from the WTC II at a nice clip, I asked her if she knew what a "fugue" was. She said she didn't know. She had a terrible memory and could not improvise to save her life, but wow, what a reader!
I don't see how one can sight read a piece with some difficulty and then have it memorized unless if one is talking about photographic memory. Presumably one hasn't sight read all the notes, rhythms, etc. correctly the first time if one is a poor sight reader, so one would be memorizing errors. I also think it's a big mistake to not use the score until one has memorized every marking in the score in addition to the notes.

I think that in general all pianistic skills(technique, musicianship, sight reading, memorizing, etc.) tend to move mostly in parallel. They are all related. Most very good pianists are very at all of them and most beginners or less talented pianists are not so good in all these areas. Of course, one can always find exceptions to the above, e.g. a pianist with great technique but poor sight reading skill or poor musicianship. But I think those are the exceptions rather than the rule.


+1, pianolover!

While it's true that people aren't all endowed with the same aptitudes, to my knowledge, no scientific study to date has ever brought to light any evidence suggesting that memorizing and sight-reading might be mutually excluding processes - and a sizeable amount of experimental research has been conducted into both abilities over the years. Current theoretical understanding of brain processes, too, doesn't offer anything that would predict that being good at the one necessarily prevents being equally good at the other - whereas it does offer explanations of why highly talented learners of skills tend to be able to develop - in parallel - all-round facility in their chosen field.

Research generally supports the widely held contention amongst musicians that sight-reading expertise results from doing a great deal of it over a very long period. Learners whose aptitudes lean towards taking in and processing external, visual information are likely to find sight-reading easier, more immediately rewarding and more of an enjoyable challenge than learners more naturally disposed to refer to internally stored information, and will tend to spend most of their practising-time working from score, to the neglect of developing competence and confidence in memorizing and retrieval skills - and vice versa as regards natural memorizers, of course.

Pedagogically speaking, the above is "old hat" and adds nothing new. Fortunately most instrumental teachers are aware of the musician's reliance upon both processes and of their vital role in ensuring learners don't neglect the weaker process in favour of the one they naturally prefer using.


Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/ocportal
#2023407 - 01/29/13 12:59 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: RealPlayer]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,255
New York City
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I perform a lot of contemporary music and always from score. I have found there has been no problem internalizing the music, and have been doing this for the past 40 years.
What do you mean by "internalizing" the music?

#2023430 - 01/29/13 01:43 PM Re: The controversial area of memorizing in performance [Re: pianoloverus]  
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,535
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member
RealPlayer  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,535
NYC
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I perform a lot of contemporary music and always from score. I have found there has been no problem internalizing the music, and have been doing this for the past 40 years.
What do you mean by "internalizing" the music?

Just getting to know it pretty cold and having the image of the piece and performance in my head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What are the prices for kawai gx2 and essex 173?
by Piano Audio. 05/28/17 06:03 AM
An invisible music tip - ear.
by ZeroZero. 05/28/17 03:19 AM
I need help...PLEASE
by Flush. 05/27/17 10:22 PM
K. Kawai K48A from 1970 (Made in Japan)
by PianoMomCan. 05/27/17 09:45 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,929
Posts2,630,450
Members87,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0